PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont understand the wires.

Paul D
03-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Hello all forgive my dumbness but for the life of me I cannot understand the coloured wires supplied to wire up a dogeared p90 with 1 volume, 1 tone and and output jack

I have the required wiring diagram but no colour coding
I have a A500 pot and a B500 pot but the ends on both that are meant to be soldered to the top of the pot arent designed that way.
I have a length of grey wire and the a length of red, orange, yellow and green wires stuck together.

WHAT GOES TO WHERE??

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!

Marcel
03-11-2017, 08:29 PM
The actual colour of the wire is of little importance when it is hidden inside a guitar. So long as you follow the basic map of where the wires start and stop the colour of the plastic on the outside of those wires makes no difference.

But, as a rule of thumb....
Black and Green are usually associated with the shield or ground
Red usually indicates a steady positive voltage from a power supply or battery
And every other colour is at the discretion of the builder. Whatever makes sense to you the builder at the time.

Often, if the lengths of wire are already pre-cut you may have to make choices as to which colour is used for what which may not be your preference but so long as you are consistent then it will save on unnecessary confusion later when you or someone else decides to change things such as when upgrading the pick ups.

I find it helpful to get a map or "Layout diagram" (some use a "circuit diagram") and in pencil write on the diagram the name of the build, the date. and which colour I used on each wire 'jump'. Mostly as if or when I come back to the build many months later I don't have to as they say 're-invent the wheel' to remember what I did back then ...

The Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio websites have lots of very good layout diagrams for every type of guitar. It doesn't matter that you may not be using their pickups as most PU's of any brand can only be connected in a certain number of ways. Just find the diagram that has the right number of PU's and the right number of wires from the PU's, choose the number of vol and tone pots and type of switch and use that diagram.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring-diagrams
http://www.dimarzio.com/support/wiring-diagrams#1-6-2

Paul D
03-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Thanks so much