PDA

View Full Version : The PBG Offset TL Guitar (and Kit)

adam
27-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Much progress has been made on our flagship Pit Bull Guitars Offset TL style guitar; which we are looking at offering as a finished Guitar and DIY Kit, if there is demand.

Many thanks to our good friend SonicMountain who is producing some amazing designs and coping very professionally with me throwing vague directions at him and changing my mind every other day.

This is his "final" mock up of the guitar that he and I are really happy with, including our new PBG Headstock design.

This is the standard single coil version (no pickguard), and we are looking at offering a double 'bucker version and double P90 with Bigsby style trem (like on our TL-1TB) version. Maybe other versions, depending on your feedback.

Would you want to own one of these finished guitars? Or build a kit version?
If not, what would like changed?

How about if it came as finished guitar, fully loaded with Toneriders, Grover tuners and a Babicz bridge, for under $500?

Let us know what you think.

dave.king1
27-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Hmm, love it but have 3 Tele's in the quiver already.

What would the price be for a completed three burst or BSB one be with a set of Redd's Harmonic Design pups fitted.

If the price was right I might consider selling the 1976 Shergold Masquarader I have cherished since birth, it shows it's 40+ years in the traditional Shergold places but is in pretty good nick for an old girl and with split HBs covers massive sonic territory

wazkelly
27-10-2017, 08:09 PM
I also have a couple of Tele's and not really in the market for another however like the shape and colour too. Twin P90's would be good for a change and something different.

Sonic Mountain
28-10-2017, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the kind words Adam. Its been a lot of fun for me to be honest. I thought I'd throw up some larger images for people to look at. Those who saw the inline 6 headstock thread will note the tuner holes have been reassessed and aligned.

As Adam mentioned there is a lot of potential for a variety of bridge and pickup setups as well as various finishes. I have a fair bit of groundwork for these already, but our focus at the moment is getting this first version to prototype.

Any constructive feedback is welcome.

https://i.imgur.com/ZN5de4Cl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QMIUxd6l.jpg

dave.king1
28-10-2017, 05:47 AM
Just had a bit of a Google and Redd uses Harmonic Design - Broadcaster set that are $110.00 USD plus postage so that ups the ante a bit

I guess the rather grunty Gramatico amp and Redd's enormous talent also have quite a bit to do with his sound

adam
28-10-2017, 05:10 PM
BUMPING for top position.

wazkelly
28-10-2017, 05:20 PM
BUMPING for top position.Hi Adam, don't think strap button location on top horn will be a problem as anything more forward mounted assists with providing a better balance when standing up.
Cheers, Waz

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

adam
28-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Hi Adam, don't think strap button location on top horn will be a problem as anything more forward mounted assists with providing a better balance when standing up.
Cheers, Waz

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yes, will be interesting to see how it balances on the knee, sitting down and standing up with a strap. The balance looks about right, judging from the design.

Dedman
28-10-2017, 06:24 PM
I like the design, I'm not keen on the no surround on the neck pick up but that would be an easy $10 fix. Lots of scope for future models based of it.

FrankenWashie
28-10-2017, 06:57 PM
I thin it will lend itself to a lot of customisation. I can see a version with an adapted pick guard. With a paddle HS in a kit form it would be a starter for me.

dave.king1
28-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Personally I wouldn't change a thing just the colour range and probably the pups.

I have a nice bikini chrome surround for the neck pup that I got for my first Tele build but that finished up with twin HBs so still looking for a suitable home one day ( I have a Tele shaped dastardly plan featuring some very nice local timber )

Melkor
10-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Noyce, I'd buy it!

Andyxlh
12-04-2018, 06:20 PM
With a through body bridge with single saddles rather than the Tele shared saddles?

Tassieaxeman
13-04-2020, 05:51 PM
Overall I like the design, but figure some break on the headstock to avoid using string retainers would be an obvious improvement!

Sonic Mountain
14-04-2020, 05:44 AM
Yeah, but also complicate manufacture and communicating the idea to the factory might be tricky. AFAIK this has been well and truly back-burnered anyway, we’ve also changed the headstock again and while I’ve seen a couple of pics of a sample I think this whole pandemic thing has thrown some cold water on it.

guitalias
01-10-2020, 08:08 AM
This is it right?
https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-djt-1-ash-body-electric-guitar-kit/
My interest is piqued.