PDA

View Full Version : Scale length of IB-1 kit

Joe3334
23-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Hi folks, just wanting to know what the scale length of the IB-1 kit is? Don't have a big enough ruler and IB-1 body is currently drying. I'm thinking of trying my hand at building a guitar neck!

Thanks in advance.

pablopepper
23-10-2017, 07:58 AM
99% sure it's 25.5". I can double check this afternoon when I get home.

FrankenWashie
23-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Hi folks, just wanting to know what the scale length of the IB-1 kit is? Don't have a big enough ruler and IB-1 body is currently drying. I'm thinking of trying my hand at building a guitar neck!

Thanks in advance.

I have done a couple necks from scratch. It's pretty simple, but your accuracy in measuring and your squareness and straightness on parts is critical. The more precise you can be the better, and this goes doubly in the cutting and shaping.

You can find neck blanks for a reasonable cost on FleaBay, or Via ALS or one of the other luthier supplies companies online.
Maple is always good, though you can change this up for Mahogany or QLD Maple, Blackwood or similar depending on how funky you want to get and how much you are willing to spend.

If you are going to have a crack, fire a build/Experiment diary up on the Non PBG Guitars forum and ask as many questions as you need. There's a few folks around the place that scratch build that will be able to guide you along with advice and measurements and techniques.
You don't need much in the way of tooling, but a coping saw, a router, a spoke shave and a selection of rasps will serve you well.

pablopepper
25-10-2017, 06:13 AM
Sorry it took so long, but I checked and yes, 25.5". Standard Fender scale.

Joe3334
25-10-2017, 06:53 AM
Sorry it took so long, but I checked and yes, 25.5". Standard Fender scale.

Thanks guys