PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of a Notched straight edge tool for BASS ?

Tweaky
22-10-2017, 01:11 PM
As the topic asks, any chance of one of these tools becoming available at the PB shop for Bass guitar?
34" & 35" scale

The only ones I see on the web are priced $100 and more, which seems a rip off considering the price you can now get them for guitars.

dave.king1
22-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Stainless metre rule from the BGSFOS and notch to suit with a grinder, just been using my shorter one for the STA neck that I hadn't bothered to do a fret job on when I finished it about 18 months ago

Tweaky
22-10-2017, 03:29 PM
I had thought of doing that, I even bought a long stainless steel rule to notch with the dremel, problem is it's too thin [1.3mm] and thus flimsy [well not flimsy, more like too flexy] to be worthwhile, compared to the one I have for guitars.

A notch straight edged tool needs to be several mm thick to be worthwhile, well at least 2.5mm thick IMHO, and preferably painted black on both sides so it's easier to see any light gaps under the notches.

billb
26-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Pablopepper cut me a perfect one out of perspex. Send him a PM.

adam
27-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Hi Tweaky, if our supplier had them I would certainly stock them, they only had the guitar version I'm afraid.

I'll keep an eye out though.

Dikkybee007
28-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Go to the big green shed and you can get a 1 metre steel rule for $17 and then invest in some aluminium angle they have for roughly $7 which measures 25 x 20 x 1.6mm x 1metre long and use some silicon or my preference is Sikaflex adhesive to glue the angle to the rule. It is now stiff enough that is doesn't flex and the angle wont slip out of your hand. Or if you are good enough with your hands just check the edge of the angle and make it flat with a file and sand paper and save $17. Word of warning don't use any thing other than a file to make you notches as being a stainless rule it doesn't like heat as it may warp and bend. Just do what I did and use a fine file and a little elbow grease and you will have a straight edge for about $30.

Tweaky
28-10-2017, 11:31 AM
I see the The green shed has 1m lengths of 3mm Aluminum 10cm wide, well they have them on their website, if they actually have any in stock is another matter.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-10-x-3mm-1m-aluminium-flat-bar_p1063146
I guess this will suffice once notched with the Dremel.

I've got to go down there anyway to get a Air Compressor for the Air Brush, plus whatever else I usually see and think I need.....never ending story with hardware stores.

Hardware stores are to a bloke, what a shoe shop is to a female, although far more practical and nowhere near as expensive.

dave.king1
28-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Gday Tweaks, don't plan on leaving money there for an airbrush compressor unless you are going the whole 9 yards their little units are not designed for this purpose.

I use my two cylinder big belt drive compressor for the air brush, took a fair bit of mucking around to get the pressure and paint dilution ratios right but worth the effort in the long run

Tweaky
28-10-2017, 10:31 PM
I had already left for the green shed before I saw your post.
Thankfully they did have the Aluminum strips suitable for making notch edges

I ended up buying one of the Ozito airbrush kit's with compressor for $98, which I think will do for what I want it for, just small paint job around the neck and headstock, and possibly for doing a burst with some alcohol based stains on another build.
Review of the one from Aldi, which is basically the same thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbBW633zvOk

Living in a apartment makes bringing out a full spray gun a arduous setup and break down procedure of building a temporary spray booth, much larger than any I would need with a air brush.

Rabbitz
29-10-2017, 03:59 AM
I've got one of the BGSFOS airbrush kits. I use it for scale models and the like.

The compressor is OK, but lacks a tank. This means that it kicks in and out so super fine work can be hard (I can't do super fine work anyway so I don't have an issue :) ).

I found the airbrush was fine, but as it is a siphon feed it was a PITA to clean. I bought a $30 ebay gravity feed brush and that suits me better. Yes, I am lazy, OK?

WRT the video, why on earth would you buy an Aldi kit if you already have a Badger set up?