PDA

View Full Version : JohnH's Tayda pedals

JohnH
29-09-2017, 05:45 PM
I just finished building a pedal with this little preamp PCB I bought from Tayda Electronics:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/jfet-preamp-diy-pcb-guitar-effect.html

I've ordered a few more PCB's from them too, so thought I'd start a thread documenting the builds.

Here's the finished preamp:

And some build progress shots:

22519 22520

I built the PCB in the enclosure of the delay kit I'm working on, as I hadn't yet drilled the preamp enclosure. Drilled and screenprinted it at work. I'm pretty happy with it.

mjg
30-09-2017, 06:41 AM
Nice job, that paint job looks slick.

JohnH
30-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Thanks! It's far from perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it. I think the screenprinted text looks pretty great, but there's definitely room for improvement on the next one.

Andy40
08-10-2017, 04:32 AM
Looks good JohnH

is that just normal spray paint and decal?

Simon Barden
08-10-2017, 05:26 AM
Drilled and screenprinted it at work. .

Not decals.

JohnH
09-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Looks good JohnH

is that just normal spray paint and decal?

Nah, just spray paint and screenprinted text. Primed with an etch primer, then just an acrylic spray. I'm pretty lucky that at work we have a dedicated, ventilated room for things like spraying aerosols, as well as a dedicated space for filing/sanding/polishing/drilling metals. Plus also a whole heap of screenprinting equipment. Makes working on the enclosures pretty easy!

My spray skills are a long way from perfect, but at least with our set-up there aren't really issues with dust settling on the wet paint, or fumes hanging around.

JohnH
13-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Just got my latest parcel of goodies from Tayda, including the rat and Box of Rock PCBs

Will start work on one or the other tomorrow

Marcel
13-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Did you all the parts through Tayda as individual items, or do you have a stock of most parts already?

JohnH
14-10-2017, 05:14 AM
Did you all the parts through Tayda as individual items, or do you have a stock of most parts already?

A little of both - I have a small (but growing) collection of components, and then everytime I need another I make sure I order a few extra for later. Most of this package was enclosures, knobs, wire, etc...

JohnH
26-10-2017, 01:31 PM
I've finished soldering both the Box of Rock and the Rat, and also started work on Tayda's EP Booster and Super Hard On (for myself) and Guv'nor (for a friend's dad).

Drilled, sprayed, and screenprinted the enclosures for the rat today:

I'm pretty happy with the screenprint; looking forward to wiring it up.

Old Tooth Hopkins
26-10-2017, 04:29 PM
This store definitely looks thriving and good to know good review from this forum.

I've been staring at diyguitarpedals.com.au for a while, unfortunately it seems like the store is winding down (such as difficult niche market if you don't sell anything else).

JohnH
30-10-2017, 06:31 PM
This store definitely looks thriving and good to know good review from this forum.

I've been staring at diyguitarpedals.com.au for a while, unfortunately it seems like the store is winding down (such as difficult niche market if you don't sell anything else).

Yeah, I've had pretty good experience with their circuits so far. My only complaint is there are no schematics, which is fine except I'd really like to be able to look at the diagram to see how all the components relate. It's easy enough to place all the components but it doesn't teach me much.

I've also been looking at buying some more DIYguitarpedals PCB's, but just don't have the time or the cash at the minute. Also, my wife might kill me.

As for my current line-up of part-finished pedal projects - I finished soldering the EP Booster today, and couldn't get it to work at all. I spent three hours trying to figure it out, checking connectivity, solder joins, wondering if any components were bad, etc, etc. Finally, it occurred to me to check the battery I was using, and of course it was dead. Turns out the circuit was fine, and I'm an idiot.

The kids are asleep now, so will test it out tomorrow and post the verdict.

JohnH
14-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Finished boxing up the RAT last night...

JohnH
10-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Just finished building the Tayda Box of Rock. miraculously, it worked first go (though annoyingly I drilled the holes for the pots too close to the jacks, so had to add small wires to the pots, and of course managed to wire them backwards)

Sounds pretty good; it adds some pretty serious gain.

Also, the text is screenprinted, but I had to go over it by hand - turns out that weird marble effect spray I used is impossible to print over.

Marcel
10-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Have you had the chance to test these pedal builds out? Are any serious contenders for permanent residence on your pedal board?

JohnH
11-12-2017, 09:47 AM
Have you had the chance to test these pedal builds out? Are any serious contenders for permanent residence on your pedal board?

It's hard to say - I'm not a very good guitarist, and I got into pedal building because I couldn't afford any at the store, so all the pedals I own are ones I've built myself. Basically I've just been noodling away and building pedals, and each time I find a new favourite of a certain kind it takes a spot on the board. Currently I'm using the Tayda Rat as my distortion, which I quite like, and I've been using the preamp heaps since I built it because it makes my fuzz pedal sound great. The fuzz I've been using most is the 7 minute fuzz from DIY guitar pedals.

I've been getting friends/siblings who can actually play to give the pedals I've built a go to see which they like. So far the Rat, 7 min fuzz, and the U-235 Suboctave Generator have been hits with everyone.

I'm digging the box of rock though - it adds some serious oomph to my little Roland cube, and while it provides some distortion it's more kind of rock distortion than the grinding distortion I usually enjoy.

I've been fiddling around with my recording gear all morning, and will try to post a soundclip sometime tonight or tomorrow

Marcel
11-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Sound is odd like that... different for everyone...

For me it's a case of I'm not happy with any of my distortion pedals as none come close to what I can get out of any of my amps... go figure..!
In order of preference I rate my AC18W amp build the best, followed closely by the clean/crunch on my JVM210, then my VOX VT40x amp. The pedals in contention are a TS9, a old school Big Muff, the (re-discovered) 1970's Ibanez overdrive, a NUX High Gain, a Purple Behringer distortion box thing, and the Dragon distortion kit I built. Of the pedals I like the TS9 the best with the Big Muff being better only when I can get to crank it on a bigger amp. The Dragon is fine if all I can use is a 10W practice amp but it sounds a bit limp through the JVM. Maybe my playing has something to do with that too...

Good to see the getting of positive feedback from friends & family. Means they (your builds) are 'right in the ball park' and so can't be sounding too bad... :)

JohnH
12-12-2017, 06:23 PM
I suspect collecting amps is where I'm heading. A friend has a Sunn model T which is pretty heavy, and hearing him play my fuzz pedal through his other amp at soundcheck for one of their recent gigs (I don't even remember what amp it was?) I was pretty impressed. I think it sounds pretty good on my little cube, but it was wild hearing it at such volume. Like most hobbies, this is proving to be a bit of a rabbit hole!

I started soldering my Parasit Studio Darkadiator tonight - will see how it sounds in the morning. Also, apologies for how long it's taking me to post a soundbite of the pedals. I recorded a dozen clips, but was so embarrassed by all of them I thought I'd try again another night.

Marcel
12-12-2017, 08:19 PM
Don't think anything of it... Pick one with the sounds you like and post it, and be damned to those who want to criticize...

I first picked up the guitar in the late '70's... learnt to play the entire Beatles song book and quite well at that... put the axe down for near on 30 years and do you think I can play any Beatles now?? I can barely get through 'Back in the USSR'...

And, a huge big YEAH to that rabbit hole... I just found another one for myself... DMX stage lighting gear.. setting up to fix those buggers is way worse than fixing tube amps, PA's and mixing desks combined...

JohnH
13-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Don't think anything of it... Pick one with the sounds you like and post it, and be damned to those who want to criticize...

Ha ha, well, that is entirely true. You're right of course - I'll have another crack!

What is it about the lighting that's so complex?

Marcel
13-12-2017, 10:33 PM
What is it about the lighting that's so complex?

Driving the DMX light things is pretty easy although being creative is a matter of opinion... The hard part is when things don't go as planned and then finding out what is misbehaving, and with some fixtures that can be quite an ordeal...

I'm working on a $2.5k 150W LED moving head DMX spot with selectable gels/gobo's at the moment and it's proving to be quite the challenge (and with the covers off is often blinding) to fix. Lets just say the onboard controller is giving me an attitude problem with the fixtures errant mechanical and electrical behaviour...Things like focus, gobo alignment, gel selection, X & Y trim, motor & LED temp & current settings, and cleanliness are just some of the things to be examined... The 55W little brother I worked on just prior was a walk in the park by comparison...

JohnH
15-12-2017, 08:43 AM
Oh, man, that sounds intense. I think that would drive me crazy - that level of electrical jiggery is still quite a way off for me, ha ha

Marcel
15-12-2017, 05:04 PM
It's only intense when these buggars are working at full strength. Most LED torches are between 0.25W up to maybe 1W... these guys are 50W and 150W.... You can just make out the cooling fins and 12cm fan on the back of the bigger one...

And if you happen to swipe the wrong fader on the control desk the servo motors can make quick demolition work on a set of meter probes... given half the chance they probably could break bones if need be...

These two are ill and on my kitchen floor awaiting "treatment". Four more are in my truck waiting to come in. I included a pen in one photo to illustrate size but I think the 30pack cartons of lemonade show the size better...

JohnH
16-12-2017, 05:19 PM
How did you end up with the job of fixing them? I'm seriously impressed by anyone who can do that kind of thing

Marcel
16-12-2017, 06:18 PM
Due to our current throw away mentality sadly the TV repairman shop is a disappearing business. Thankfully I have a part time job in one of the few that remain, and we don't limit ourselves to just TV's. Where we can we will have a go at almost anything that has "electronics" in it... which includes those old antique 'stereograms' and turntables through to the usual plasmas and LCD TV's up to those industrial 500" TV mega projectors and robot vacuum cleaners, and of course all kinds of stage equipment.... It's a small yet very diverse and interesting workshop to be in...

There is just the two of us in the shop. Roy has been in the TV trade since before I was born, and with my aviation and music industry experience there isn't much we can't tackle...

https://www.facebook.com/Roy-Xanthos-Electronics-237937553079706/

JohnH
07-06-2020, 06:45 PM
I've been rifling through drawers today, and came across a bunch of half built pedals. One was the Tayda EP booster, which I got as far as testing, but then used the jacks and stompswitch for something else and never put it back together.

I've ordered some more bits so hopefully I can build it next week. I've ordered their Plexitone PCB too, to give me another project now my study is done for the semester

Also found this Super Hard On that I built but wasn't super into...

JohnH
19-06-2020, 05:02 PM
Did some surgery today on my Tayda Box of Rock.

One of the stomp switches failed awhile ago, and I had wired the knobs backwards anyway so it needed some work

All back together now, and working like a charm...

jugglindan
19-06-2020, 05:21 PM
Is that the complete Box of Rock with the SHO booster built in? Or does it just have the dirt side?

It's good to get things working. Having broken stuff sitting around tends to annoy me after a while.

I prefer my boost pedals with a bit of colour, more Xotic AC booster than RC. But I imagine that changes depending on the amp.

JohnH
19-06-2020, 05:29 PM
It includes the boost, though I don't know how accurate it is (I've also made the tayda SHO pedal but have nothing to compare it to):

https://www.taydakits.com/instructions/box-of-rock

I agree about having broken things sitting around. It bugged me that I'd made such a rookie wiring mistake with the knobs in the first place, and then when the stomp switch died it just sat looking sad and driving me mad for a few months ha ha

jugglindan
19-06-2020, 05:48 PM
There's not much reason for a SHO clone to be inaccurate. It's a very simple circuit. It's a good circuit, but a very small part count. There's a good description and schematic here (https://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2012/01/zvex-super-hard-on-sho.html). In the comments section there is some good info on adding a hard clipping stage that could turn it into a dirty boost. Kinda makes me want to breadboard one now to experiment :)

JohnH
19-06-2020, 06:04 PM
That's a good read, thanks!

jugglindan
19-06-2020, 06:16 PM
Since you don't like your SHO clone that much anyway, it might be a good candidate for an experimental clipping mod. If you use sockets or a switch, you can easily get back to stock.

JohnH
19-06-2020, 06:27 PM
Hmm, true. And I can't do much else on my other builds while I wait for parts.

jugglindan
19-06-2020, 06:49 PM
I have quite a large components stash if you ever need something. I probably have around 4000 resistors, and a 1000 capacitors. Transistor and opamp stocks much lower. The biggest issue is pots. Every circuit seems to use different funky values, so even though I buy 4 when I need 1, I still never have the right ones!

JohnH
19-06-2020, 06:54 PM
Ha ha ha, same. I legit spent an hour today sifting through boxes trying to find a pot value I was sure I had.

I did the same as you and bought a huge packet of resistors, but might hit you up if I come across a cap I don't have. My collection of random bits is growing, which helps for just playing around or building something on the spur of the moment, but I still find I get stuck on IC's, pots, jacks, etc (I never have enough jacks or stomp switches). I have a good collection of switches at the minute, which is fun but not terribly useful lol

I have a great collection of tubes that I picked up for $50. There's probably 70 or so in the box. I got them for a painting project (making paintings of the tubes, not painting the tubes) but there's some useful ones in there (if they're still good)

jugglindan
19-06-2020, 07:00 PM
Talk about nerding out. You have just inspired me to update my parts stock list (I have a spreadsheet of key part counts) while watching some scifi. But hey, at least I didn't write an inventory database :)

JohnH
19-06-2020, 07:10 PM
Honestly, it sounds dorky but it's such a good idea. I keep meaning to but never do. If I did, I'd stop buying things I already have and would know straight away that I need something new for a build.

Maybe a job for Monday when the kids are at school...

jugglindan
19-06-2020, 07:48 PM
I find being organised relaxing. I don't bother tracking the bulk components like resistors and capacitors. But diodes, transistors, ICs, pots, and misc hardware (knobs, jacks, switches, footswitches) all go in.

So now I know I only have enough jacks for another 3 pedals. Fortunately another 10 pack are on order :)

McCreed
20-06-2020, 07:13 AM
Damn you pedal nerds!!! Now you've got me thinking about getting a pedal kit!

I don't need anymore "distractions". I still have two half built guitars and customer guitars to do.

The Tayda OCD caught my eye...

John, looking at the Tayda site, it appears I have to go through the component list and order every individual piece.
Do you know if there is any way to "quick order" the PCB & components in one go?

jugglindan
20-06-2020, 07:34 AM
With Tayda kits, yes you need to order the PCB and all other parts separately.

If you want the sound without the time sink, the Joyo Ultimate Overdrive is a 98% accurate clone of the OCD. Some differences in component values, but from reviews the sound is very close. I have never had either pedal though, so this is second-hand knowledge.

McCreed
20-06-2020, 04:28 PM
Yes, I’ve done one Ultimate Drive conversion aces years ago, and kind of regret not keeping it. Maybe I’ll just do that again.
There’s plenty of info online (as well as controversy) on doing the mod. From memory it’s one or two pots a couple resistors.

jugglindan
20-06-2020, 06:01 PM
I just found a Joyo Ultimate Drive on Ali Express for $38 AUD.

McCreed
20-06-2020, 07:20 PM
I just found a Joyo Ultimate Drive on Ali Express for $38 AUD.

I was looking there too, but didn't one that low.
After doing some online research, there is an issue with the "new" 2010 PCB models having the GE diode being wired incorrectly (reversed). Not a big deal if I was going to be doing mods anyway, but I find it worrying that this has been pointed out for 10 years and Joyo has not done anything to fix it.

There is apparently a problem with the True Bypass not being "true" but not exactly a correct buffered bypass either.
After reading all that, it's kind of quelled my enthusiasm a bit. Maybe not a bad thing...

jugglindan
20-06-2020, 07:46 PM
Mistakes like that and small component variations could account for the sound being not quite there. I just loaded up the OCD patch in my Xtomp mini. I know it's not the real thing either, but I just couldn't get to like it. I used to like it a lot, but lately I am just digging my Barber pedal too much.

Also, here is a reasonably priced Joyo (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32810873952.html), but as you say, less appealing now. Assuming the Ge diode is SMD, fixing it would be a pain.

McCreed
21-06-2020, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the link Dan. I found that after my last post, and yes, all surface mount components.
The SM doesn't put me off too much. Heaps of people have successfully modded the 2010.11.24 version, but I reckon I'll give it a miss anyway.

My OCD story has been a love/hate tale. I've owned and sold two Fulltone ones and went back & forth with both, hence selling them.
Since I got the Reaper DAW, I added the OCD plug-in and really like how it works in there. Go figure...

Did I mention I probably have actual OCD???? :o

EDIT:
And sorry for the hijack John H!!!

JohnH
21-06-2020, 06:58 AM
EDIT:

Ha ha ha, hijack away! It's an interesting chat, and I have no updates so you know...

jugglindan
21-06-2020, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the link Dan. I found that after my last post, and yes, all surface mount components.
The SM doesn't put me off too much. Heaps of people have successfully modded the 2010.11.24 version, but I reckon I'll give it a miss anyway.

My OCD story has been a love/hate tale. I've owned and sold two Fulltone ones and went back & forth with both, hence selling them.
Since I got the Reaper DAW, I added the OCD plug-in and really like how it works in there. Go figure...

Did I mention I probably have actual OCD???? :o

EDIT:

Your story sounds remarkably similar to others on The Gear Page. Someone will post about their new pedal, and someone else will reply "X is a great pedal, the best I ever had. But I sold it for the latest fashion, traded that a month later, hated the trade, sold that at a loss and bought the X v2. Loved it, it became my signature sound until I swapped it for the newest flavour of the month which of course I hated...".

Actually, your story doesn't sound half that bad, but it's a common theme. In the pedal world there is so much choice now that it's really hard to overcome the feeling that maybe that pedal over there will be better. I do exactly the same thing, but my solution now is to build more! My previous solution was to buy cheap clones but that wasn't quite satisfying either. They are mostly not quite right. I am about to build a Barber GC to knock the Caline Pure Sky off my board in the very low gain position, even though the Barber Direct Drive does low gain very very well. But the Barber screams when stacked with a low gain drive in front of it, so I just have to see how the 2 Barber pedals work together.

McCreed
21-06-2020, 10:19 AM
But the Barber screams when stacked with a low gain drive in front of it, so I just have to see how the 2 Barber pedals work together.

Yes, it's interesting how some pedals sound great on their own but just don't "play nice" with others if stacked. And, for full disclosure, I am a "stacker". I just am.
Though not more than two OD's, but with that, it gives me four tones: clean; OD 1; OD 2; OD 1 & 2. Then add a boost to any for a little extra oomph.

This reason is why I was on a Dual OD pedal trip for a awhile. Generally they're combined because they're known to work well together.

jugglindan
21-06-2020, 07:15 PM
I have three drive pedals on the board at the moment, but to be honest, the BYOC OD-2 is only on there for sentimental reasons. It's basically a modded tube screamer and a boost in the same box, which makes it conceptually similar to the Box of Rock. But the TS sound just doesn't work for me, despite the mods. I much prefer the Marshallesque sound of the Direct Drive. Since the Direct Drive is very responsive to input levels, I should reorder the pedals to put the boost first.

McCreed
22-06-2020, 06:37 AM
Since the Direct Drive is very responsive to input levels, I should reorder the pedals to put the boost first.

Order also depends what you want to achieve. If you want to push the OD a bit more (which can effect the drives tone) then boost before OD. If you only want to boost the overall volume of the OD and (mostly) maintain the tone, boost after OD.
I've pretty much been a boost after OD guy for a long, but I should switch it around just to see if my perspective has changed since then.

jugglindan
22-06-2020, 08:15 AM
I think ideally I would have two boosts, one at either side of the drive pedals. I might build another one to put at the front.

It's the same with compressors. I have an always on compressor set for very light compression - the forget it's there until it's turned off settings - placed near the very end of the effects chain. It's really just for a bit of volume limiting on very high volume transients and for evening out the volume levels from fingerpicked passages. Since I built the Lemon Squeezy (Orange Squeezer clone) I have placed it just after the buffer, in front of the drive pedals. While I like the sound, it does restrict the picking dynamics of the drive pedals.

On my next board shuffle I might try moving the lemon squeezy to after the dirt pedals.

McCreed
22-06-2020, 11:25 AM
I have an always on compressor set for very light compression - the forget it's there until it's turned off settings -

Same here, but I'm a comp first in chain. (tuner>comp>OD etc)

jugglindan
22-06-2020, 06:40 PM
Might need to start a new thread "JugglinDan's Tayda Pedals" after the order I just placed :)

Although I didn't order any PCBs, just enough missing parts (plus spares - why order just 3 of something when I will need it later) to build a Barber Gain Changer, a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, fix the pot on my G&L, and upgrade the pots on my tele should I ever stop building pedals long enough to finish it.

Edit: also got the components needed to finish the piezo preamp for the footdrum, and the noisy cricket amp.

All for $50 with shipping (that's AUD after the horrible conversion), so Tayda are definitely the way to go for value for money components on demand.

McCreed
22-06-2020, 07:21 PM
Tayda was one of the only suppliers I could find for 1M C (reverse log) pots and definitely had the best price.

I needed them to wire Leo Fender's PTB circuit (Passive Treble Bass) like in the G&L guitars. I think it's great option to the standard Fender tone circuit. The current strat build I'm doing will have the PTB in it, and I bought 10 pots to convert some of my other strats as well.

I just want to point out that I have included "Tayda" in my post, thus making it relevant to the OP :o

jenniferolivia
20-10-2023, 02:33 PM
That's fantastic to hear that you've completed your pedal build with the preamp PCB from Tayda Electronics! Your finished preamp looks great, and it's cool that you incorporated it into the enclosure of your delay kit. It's a clever space-saving idea, especially if you hadn't yet prepared a separate enclosure for the preamp. The screenprinting work you did at your job must have added a nice professional touch to the project.

It's always exciting to start documenting your builds, and it's an excellent way to keep track of your progress and share your experiences with others who are into DIY pedal building. It's also a great opportunity to learn and improve with each project.

When you work on future projects and document them, consider including information about the PCB layers (https://www.mktpcb.com/pcb-layers/) you used. Describing the PCB layers can be valuable for fellow DIY enthusiasts who might be interested in understanding the technical aspects of your builds and replicating them. Good luck with your upcoming builds, and keep up the fantastic work!