PDA

View Full Version : Private Collection

adam
24-09-2017, 07:39 PM
My good friend's Father is a retired Australian Country Music Artist, with a long and successful career. Over his years performing, he built up quite the collection of Guitars, Effects and Recording Equipment... all stored and currently gathering dust in his house here on the coast in Perth.

He wants to get rid of it all.

As I do photograph guitars quite often, I offered to come and photograph the collection. We did this today and I wanted to share some of the results.

There was some cheap stuff and there were some jaw-dropping treasures I could not believe I was holding. Here are a few photos of the treasures I got to photograph today.

He has 3 Adamas Ovations and 3 Dobros.... a few Gibson acoustics and a Quilted Tele which may, or may not, have been made for James Burton.

wazkelly
24-09-2017, 07:50 PM
That Tele is something else! Gotta wonder if it had a TOM LP Jnr Bridge at some stage?

Bass Guy
24-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Oh my giddy aunt... what's the going rate for a 10yo male child on the black market?

I think I know who this is too- lovely chap and every axe will have a story!

adam
24-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Some detail from one of the Ovation Adamas guitars. The detail on these guitars is magnificent.
22439 22440 22441 22442

As a child of the 70's, I can't help but relate Ovation guitars to the Neil Diamond's Hot August Night phenomenon that saturated the music scene at that time. Seeing these in the flesh has changed my mind and I want one of the 3 in his collection (but I cannot afford one).

adam
24-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Oh my giddy aunt... what's the going rate for a 10yo male child on the black market?

I think I know who this is too- lovely chap and every axe will have a story!

Hey El, yes, this is Tex Croft's collection. I didn't name him as he wouldn't be known to most people. His collection speaks for itself.

Simon Barden
24-09-2017, 08:47 PM
That Tele is something else! Gotta wonder if it had a TOM LP Jnr Bridge at some stage?

It would certainly have to be a wrap-around bridge of some kind. It's too wide a distance for just a TOM bridge.

Simon Barden
24-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Nice collection. I like the non-Elvis J200.

dave.king1
24-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Simply stunning, thanks for sharing Adam

wokkaboy
25-09-2017, 10:13 AM
awesome collection Ads, very nice axes

FrankenWashie
25-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Oooooh Dobro Dobro Dobro. Very nice. The tele napping temptation must have been very strong for you Adam!

Tweaky
25-09-2017, 04:22 PM
There is a Gibson J-200 Elvis Presley signature model just like above currently for sale in Melbourne for AUS$8700.

I love the sound of a strummed J-200, they hold there value, although some people think there used J-200's are worth a lot more than they are when they are no particular vintage and place stupid amounts on then, only to feel disappointment when they don't get that.....I mean just look at the current Aus price of a new one [Discounted Aus $5600..RRP Aus$7500 ]

Those look like original early 80's USA made Adamas guitars, I found quite a few of those for sale just like them in Japan while searching unsuccessfully for a decent 12 string version just last week.... ones like the Blue one go for around Aus $4,000 to $4500.

The Brown one looks like a shallow bodied Glen Campbell model, nice guitar if the bridge isn't lifting due to the belly warping [they built the tops very light], which is the main concern with all Ovations, not particularly valuable, as they made lots of them.

The Telecaster is definitely the star of that lot.
Looks like it's been well used to boot, which adds to it's charm IMHO.
I'm hoping that not solid maple body with Birdseye Maple veneer, as it would make a Les Paul feel like a Uke in weight comparison.
I remember seeing a Guitar Player magazine in the early eighties with Keith Richards on the cover holding something similar, although I don't think it was actually made by Fender.

Simon Barden
25-09-2017, 04:38 PM
The Tele looks very thin, so it may well be a maple body, with the thickness reduced to compensate.

DrNomis_44
25-09-2017, 07:37 PM
That resonator guitar looks like it'd be worth a fair bit, I've always liked the sound of resonators and I got to see some National Resophonics "in the flesh" so to speak, when a musician called Bob Brosman visited the music department at uni one year, I've got some fond memories of that.

Hey Adam, any chance of Pitbull Guitars doing a resonator guitar kit at some stage?