PDA

View Full Version : Happy Yess October 28th Gig.

DrNomis_44
16-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Hey Everyone,

A mate and I are getting a band together to play a gig at the Happy Yess club in Darwin on the 28th of October this year, the band is going to be called The Sunshine Love Trio, and we are working up a set of Surf Rock and 60's Surf tunes, etc, to play at the gig, we've got a lady playing bass for us and my mate is going to see if another Darwin musician can play keyboards for us, there's also going to be some local Darwin Beat Poets performing their stuff too, I'm going to be playing my new Fender USA Strat, and my Theremin, should be a good night, will take my digital camera with me and see if I can get some good pics to post in this thread.

wazkelly
16-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Good stuff Doc, gives you a reason to start practising and learning new material.

Haven't caught up on a lot of threads for a while and wondering if you have picked up your new Strat yet?

DrNomis_44
16-09-2017, 11:23 PM
Good stuff Doc, gives you a reason to start practising and learning new material.

Haven't caught up on a lot of threads for a while and wondering if you have picked up your new Strat yet?

Yep, I've finished paying-off my new Strat and I've got it here with me in my new flat, it sounds great through my Marshall amp.

Andy40
17-09-2017, 05:05 AM
Wish I could go Doc but I can't make it of course. Love the new strat. We have to work on getting your pics in focus:p

DrNomis_44
17-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Wish I could go Doc but I can't make it of course. Love the new strat. We have to work on getting your pics in focus:p

I agree, actually taking the pics is where I'm good at, with framing and etc, but I think getting them in focus doesn't appear to be my forte, so yes, I definitely have to do more work on that aspect of it for sure, might need to put in some serious time studying the user manual for my digital camera.

DrNomis_44
17-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Update:

I just managed to get in contact with the local Darwin musician about playing keyboards with us for the October 28th gig, and he said that he's interested in doing it.

DrNomis_44
19-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Update 2:

I'm going to be playing another gig at the Happy Yess club on the 17th of November this year, with a couple of mates of mine that I used to play with in a band called Cooperblack, this time we're going to be playing some songs from a Cooperblack album called "My Art Is Bleeding", should be a good gig.

DrNomis_44
11-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately the November 17th gig ended up being cancelled, but the October 28th gig is still on, I just got back home after doing a full band-rehearsal at my mate's place, it went really well and we made some good progress on the songs we're going to be playing.

wazkelly
12-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately the November 17th gig ended up being cancelled, but the October 28th gig is still on, I just got back home after doing a full band-rehearsal at my mate's place, it went really well and we made some good progress on the songs we're going to be playing.Good to hear Doc. Hope it goes well for you.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

DrNomis_44
12-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Cheers Wazkelly, I'm really psyched about it cause it's going to be the first proper gig I've ever played for quite a few years, been missing it a lot, I reckon the high you get from playing music onstage is probably the best ever high one can experience, I'm sure you know what I mean about that.

wazkelly
13-10-2017, 08:09 PM
Sure do buddy.

What is the song list like?

Simon Barden
14-10-2017, 12:46 AM
Main set:

Freebird (extended version)

Encore:

Freebird.

Andy40
14-10-2017, 05:37 AM
slow clap... simon..slow clap;)

Hey Doc, dont forget to get someone to shoot some footage and throw it on up for a vid. would love to see it.:cool:

dave.king1
14-10-2017, 06:27 AM
Main set:

Freebird (extended version)

Encore:

Freebird.

Where do Stairway to Heaven, Smoke On The Water, Brown Eyed Girl & Mustang Sally fit into that set list ;)

DrNomis_44
15-10-2017, 07:40 AM
@ Simon Hahahaha.....although that would be pretty cool....lol.

@ Andy40 I think my digital camera can do movies, but I'll have to have a good read of the user manual first so I know what to do, I could get the F.O.H. (Front Of House) sound guy to take some pics with it as well as shoot a video.

@ dave.king1 We probably could fit them into the set list but we have limited playing-time onstage, would be cool to do those songs though.

Okay, for all those interested, the set-list for the October 28th Happy Yess gig is as follows (assuming no changes are made):

1, Wipeout/Hawaii 50 (with Wipeout segueing into Hawaii 50) (The Ventures).

2, Brief interlude with me demonstrating my Deluxe Theremin.

3, The Rise And Fall Of Flingel Bunt (The Shadows).

4, One Of These Days (Pink Floyd).

For the song "One Of These Days", the drummer wants me to play an improvised solo in the key of "G" (I think), he also wants me to go a bit crazy with the trem-bar too, and use a fuzz pedal of some sort.

dave.king1
15-10-2017, 08:14 AM
Not sure about the songs I suggested Doc, they are musical crimes against humanity ( like Freebird ;) )

The ones you are doing though do stand the test of time but you could throw a bit of Radio Birdman "Aloha Steve & Danno" into the Hawaii 5 0 medley to shake it up a bit :D

Sonic Mountain
15-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Pipeline also segways into Wipeout pretty well, throw in Cecilia Anne and you'd have pretty neato surf mega mix.

DrNomis_44
18-10-2017, 08:11 AM
Had another practice session at my mate's place yesterday afternoon, definitely getting better at playing the songs but I still have some homework to do, some parts of Flingel Bunt are proving to be a bit tricky to play, but I'm getting there, also have some homework for Hawaii 50 to do as well, did it feel like the fingers on my fretting hand and my brain were tying themselves in knots?...ah.....yep....lol.

DrNomis_44
27-10-2017, 05:29 PM
So, the gig is set for tomorrow, my mate and I have had quite a few practice sessions, and the last full-band practice session was on Wednesday of this week, personally I think it went really well and I feel pretty confident with the songs, although we did end up having to drop "One of these days" by Pink Floyd from our set list.

My mate did have some trouble with one of his amps in his guitar rig but he took it to a local tech and the tech managed to fix it in time for the gig, hopefully it should go well.

wazkelly
27-10-2017, 08:01 PM
Good luck with the gig Doc.

DrNomis_44
29-10-2017, 08:34 AM
Well what can I say?, the gig went well and a good time was had by all, I managed to take some pics of the stage setup prior to the start of the show, and apparently there was some video of the performances recorded too, so as soon as it gets posted on my facebook page I'll post a link to it in this thread so you guys can check it out.

Only just woke up out of bed and I'm having my first coffee for the day, so as soon as I'm all energized I'll get the pics I took posted......stay tuned.

Update:

Bit of bad news, apparently half the video footage of the performances got lost because the video cameras were running on batteries, instead of being mains-powered, and the batteries went flat, but I'll see if any video footage can be posted, the good news is that there is some footage remaining of The Sunshine Love Band's performance, so as soon as I can I'll post a link.

DrNomis_44
03-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Here's a couple of pics I took of the stage setup for the gig:

Andy40
04-11-2017, 03:21 AM
Fantastic.....holy smoke look at the wall of amps!

DrNomis_44
08-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Fantastic.....holy smoke look at the wall of amps!

Yeah that wall of amps belongs to my mate, the drummer, I've been helping him out with some technical difficulties that he's been having with them, he also built himself a massive drum kit which you can see in the photos I posted, he bought all the drumkit hardware online.

Sorry about the grainy quality of the photos, my digital camera doesn't seem to do well in dark places.

Sonic Mountain
09-11-2017, 06:57 AM
Such a great spot, glad to see it's still going. I played one of the final gigs for the old Happy Yess location before it got torn down and they moved to Browns Mart.

(volume and language and video quality warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW9wdxfye1E

DrNomis_44
09-11-2017, 08:08 AM
You know what?, I really miss the old Happy Yess place cause it had a really nice and intimate atmosphere to it, I have some fond memories of playing gigs in it as one of the members of a local Darwin band called Cooperblack, those were some pretty fun times.

I think I may have some pics I took as I was helping out with getting the new Happy Yess place at Brownsmart ready, I'll have to have a look through all the backup files I've got stored on some Hard disk Drives and see if I can find them, will post them in this thread if/when I do.

Sonic Mountain
09-11-2017, 08:29 AM
I've a feeling we know a bunch of the same people. Not surprising for old D-Town. I'm sure I've seen Cooperblack mentioned in the Darwin Music Scene Facebook page.

Yeah the old place really captured that 'seedy dive' atmosphere that the best gigs are played in. The ever changing wall murals were cool as well.

Same band, different gig. I actually think this is the last ever show played there or the first ever Terrorfest. I can't actually remember.
(the facial hair was a joke I promise)

https://i.imgur.com/lAAU5XPl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xCy9znXm.jpg

The new setup is great still, just different. It's been good the couple of times I've been there and they have Browns mart setup with one stage and the Yess with a second.

DrNomis_44
09-11-2017, 11:16 AM
I've a feeling we know a bunch of the same people. Not surprising for old D-Town. I'm sure I've seen Cooperblack mentioned in the Darwin Music Scene Facebook page.

Yeah the old place really captured that 'seedy dive' atmosphere that the best gigs are played in. The ever changing wall murals were cool as well.

Same band, different gig. I actually think this is the last ever show played there or the first ever Terrorfest. I can't actually remember.
(the facial hair was a joke I promise)

https://i.imgur.com/lAAU5XPl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xCy9znXm.jpg

The new setup is great still, just different. It's been good the couple of times I've been there and they have Browns mart setup with one stage and the Yess with a second.

You know what?, I have a feeling that I saw your band live at one of the Happy Yess gigs, I was thinking to myself "I'm sure I've seen these guys live" when I watched that video clip you posted, incidentally, cheers for that mate.

Oh yeah, do you remember all the band-graffiti in the toilets?, that's another thing that added to the coolness of the old Happy Yess.

And I remember going to the uni bar on the uni campus in the mid 90's, and seeing some pretty good Metal bands live (Paper Cage I think was one of the bands playing onstage), one of the guitarists from one of the bands was playing a BC Rich Warlock guitar that had a body finished in cream-coloured paint and a Floyd Rose trem on it.

Sonic Mountain
09-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Yeah I remember the toilets at the Yess.. matched the rest of the vibe :) . 90's is before my time I arrived in January 2000. Would be funny if you had seen us.. I hope you avoided getting injured. That one from the clip was nuts.

That band had a brief but effective run. We all worked at a sign place up there, drummer was the metal head screen shop supervisor, the lead guy Tom, was a blow in who was only up there 6 months or so. We practiced hard for about 2 months and then played I think 3 gigs before Tom left town. Was heaps of fun, but totally crude and off the wall.