PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe (Korean) Kits

adam
14-09-2017, 12:00 PM
They're here and they look spectacular.

I'd like to offer these on the Forum only, at the landed cost, to anyone who wants to get their hands on one and can give us a thorough assessment of the quality in a Build Diary

The TL (no Hardware) cost including Aus shipping is AU$365
The ST (with hardware) cost including Aus shipping is AU$345
The PRS Style (with hardware) cost including Aus shipping is $615

The build and timber quality is very good, from what I can see, and the hardware (on the ST and PRS Style) looks pro quality.

All bodies are 2 piece; Ash for the ST and TL, and Mahogany (body and neck) for the PRS Style.

Specs are the standard; 42mm at the nut, Modern C Profile, 25.5" Scale, medium jumbo frets.

If we did proceed with these deluxe kits, the list prices would roughly be AU$465 (+GST) for the ST (complete), AU$435 (+GST) for the TL (body and neck only) and ahem AU$855 (+GST) for the PRS Style.

Is there a market for this level of kit... I'm not so sure.

I hear you all on the Custom Option, and that may be the way to go.

Please email me if you are interested in one of the samples.

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars(dot)com

adam
14-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Another angle of the PRS Style body.

Noice.

pablopepper
14-09-2017, 12:13 PM
http://replygif.net/i/134.gif
I actually swore out loud when I saw that PRS. Unreal!

wokkaboy
14-09-2017, 12:14 PM
they look great Ads, be interested to hear the opinion of the buyers. Hard to tell what electrics are under the strat pickguard but the switch and pots on the PRS kit look much better quality.

Good to see a proper full thickness maple drop top on the PRS.

The factory have done a great job matching the grain on the 2 piece tele and strat.

pablopepper
14-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Anyone wanna buy a lightly used kidney?

wokkaboy
14-09-2017, 12:22 PM
haha which one you keen on Pabs the PRS no doubt ?

pablopepper
14-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Hell yeah man. That strat is dead set gorgeous as well.

vh2580
14-09-2017, 12:30 PM
And the PRS is snaffled

pablopepper
14-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Thank you Tony. I am insanely jealous, but this way I might at least get to see it IRL.

vh2580
14-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Thank you Tony. I am insanely jealous, but this way I might at least get to see it IRL.

That you may. Have to organise an SEQ pitbull catchup.

wokkaboy
14-09-2017, 12:48 PM
good work Tony I'm sure you will do the PRS justice and give good feedback to Ads on the quality of the kit.

And you saved Pabs selling his kidney to fund it haha

Andy40
14-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Hell yeah man. That strat is dead set gorgeous as well.

I cant believe I heard you say that Pabs.....are you turning into a Strat man :)

pablopepper
14-09-2017, 01:52 PM
I know, but look at that thing man...

Andy40
14-09-2017, 02:40 PM
I know.....

andrewdosborne
14-09-2017, 03:12 PM
My oh my, how good do these look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon Barden
14-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Any chance of seeing the underside of the 'strat' pickguard? And it looks as if the fingerboard on the 'strat' has some kind of finish on it, or is it just very smooth and it's the light in the photo?

Also any technical details confirming fingerboard radius, scale lengths (at least for the PRS-style), pickup magnet types, etc?

Are the Strat saddles steel or alloy? Likewise the trem block?

Marcel
14-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Certainly very nice looking potential projects Adam. Gives the GAS a real good tickle... As much as I want a PRS build I think the ST is more in my SWMBO approval range.

If they were to go to open market an extensive list of all the wonderful hot features would certainly help sales. Like Simon said, Things like thickness of the cap, types of PU's, neck radius info and the like will all help on those with the extra cash to put into builds like these...

Joe3334
14-09-2017, 08:51 PM
For a custom order I'd definitely be interested in getting a deluxe kit from Korea. As for a 'standard' deluxe kit I would be happy paying $400-500 for a strat or superstrat as long as the hardware and wood is well worth the money (from what I can see it very well may be) however I wouldn't buy more than two deluxe kits as that's near the $1000 mark and for me that is a lot of money for only two kits, I might even buy just one kit considering the fact that the quality is "pro" level.

Just my 2 cents.

wazkelly
14-09-2017, 08:59 PM
The Strat looks damn good value to me and best pick out of those three in my opinion.

Simon Barden
14-09-2017, 10:36 PM
I'm just wondering what makes the Tele kit without hardware more expensive than the Strat kit with hardware, when the Strat looks to have the much nicer ash body of the two.

Take away the Strat's hardware and pickup cost (which I presume should be a lot greater than the Chinese factory kits) and the bare-bones Tele looks very expensive.

Or did the prices get swapped for the samples, as the normal price indicates the Strat is more expensive than the Tele? But even so on the projected normal price, $30 difference for pickups and hardware isn't much, so it doesn't exactly shout 'quality hardware' to me, so it will be very interesting to see the feedback from the kit builders.

Rabbitz
15-09-2017, 06:25 AM
You might wanna get these kits in quick.

If you've read the news over the last 6 months, apparently Korea is about to be turned into a brilliant flash and a whisp of ozone!!! :D

Simon Barden
15-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Or at best they may glow in the dark and come with two necks and three headstocks.

Fretworn
16-09-2017, 07:24 AM
Spank me! Even from the pictures you can see that the quality of the machine is up a big step. My current unemployed state prevents me in partaking though.

adam
16-09-2017, 10:30 AM
I took some more shots of the ST and TL kits, plus the ST hardware for the ST. I'll put them up later today (I forgot to bring the lead for my camera).

The price difference for the ST with hardware and the TL sans hardware is about US$20. I don't think this reflects poor hardware (actually the hardware looks and feels really nice), I think the TL is more expensive because it was supposed to have a Quilted Maple veneer. Hopefully we can get a credit for that...

So, if we do proceed with these, it is likely it the price difference for the basic Ash kits (no veneer) will be more... probably AU$40-50 rather than AU$.

The TL Body is 2.1kg and the ST body is 1.8kg

The necks are 25.5" Scale, 42mm at the nut, modern C Profile and I'm checking on the radius, but it appears to be 12".

Frets are medium jumbo.

adam
16-09-2017, 04:23 PM
I've added the 2 remaining kits; the ST and TL kits, to the site, but they are hidden at the moment.

I've got more photos of both of them in the product description.

I see what you are saying Simon, yes, I got the prices around the wrong way. The cost price for the TL (no hardware) should be AU$345 and the ST with hardware is AU$365. As I said, that $20 difference is misleading, as the TL should have had a Quilted Maple veneer.

The prices on the site reflect the List prices. The cost price offer is still open to Forum members for the weekend. If they are unsold on Monday, then I will put them onto the site at the List price.

Here are the links:

ST https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-dsta-1-ash-body-electric-guitar-kit-made-in-s-korea/

TL https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-dtla-1-ash-body-electric-guitar-kit-made-in-s-korea/

Simon Barden
16-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the updates, Adam.

I was sort of hoping the Strat and Tele would come with more Fenderish 9.5" radius boards.

Would the Tele be available without the veneer? And I don't suppose if you know that the quilt is a standard 0.8mm thick veneer, or something a bit more substantial? I've got a Tele body I got from eBay for a friend's guitar that's got a 3mm (approx) quilted maple top to it, so a lot easier to pop with a dark colour and sand back, so wondered if it would be more like that?

adam
16-09-2017, 06:43 PM
I'll check the radius when I'm in on Monday.

Yes, the Tele we have is without a veneer. It was meant to have a quilted maple veneer, so that mistake by the Factory does not instill great confidence if we are looking at offering custom orders. I believe the Veneer they have is the same as the Chinese... so ultra thin 0.6mm.

Simon Barden
16-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Thanks, Adam.

Personally I'd buy the Korean S or T kit for a good quality one-piece ash body (if the rest of their production is similar to the samples and they don't end up being supplied as 4-piece bodies) and stick to the regular PBG kits if I ever wanted a veneer top.

Jed51
17-09-2017, 05:08 AM
The grain on both of the "F" kits looks great - would have to highlight them with a transparent stain or natural finish. PRS price is a bit steep for mine in a kit.

wazkelly
17-09-2017, 11:43 AM
The grain on both of the "F" kits looks great - would have to highlight them with a transparent stain or natural finish. PRS price is a bit steep for mine in a kit.

Have to agree.

DrNomis_44
17-09-2017, 12:06 PM
You might wanna get these kits in quick.

If you've read the news over the last 6 months, apparently Korea is about to be turned into a brilliant flash and a whisp of ozone!!! :D

Apparently from what I've read on ninemsn, Korea fired a missile over Japan's air space in defiance of the sanctions placed on them, I really wish Mr Kim Jung Un would see sense and use some common sense to stop things escalating and provoking a nuclear war with America and Japan, cause the outcome of that could threaten the whole of human-kind, and the whole of planet earth.

wazkelly
17-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Apparently from what I've read on ninemsn, Korea fired a missile over Japan's air space in defiance of the sanctions placed on them, I really wish Mr Kim Jung Un would see sense and use some common sense to stop things escalating and provoking a nuclear war with America and Japan, cause the outcome of that could threaten the whole of human-kind, and the whole of planet earth.

Maybe we need to send him a guitar kit so that he has something more productive and less destructive to work on.

DrNomis_44
17-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Maybe we need to send him a guitar kit so that he has something more productive and less destructive to work on.

Totally, war is never the answer to problems.

Simon Barden
17-09-2017, 07:13 PM
It can be. WW2 was unfortunately very necessary. And when a megalomaniac tyrant obtains long-range nuclear missiles with the distinct possibility of him using them, then it may well be necessary, though very hopefully in a non-nuclear way, as it's so easy for things to spiral out of control. I have a niece who's currently working as a teacher in South Korea (though on an island south of the mainland), so I don't want anything to happen. A lot hinges on what China does, and it really could be doing a lot more to stop things escalating.

wazkelly
17-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Gotta wonder who is providing them with assistance to make these bombs? China, Russia, or both? Either one of them is just sitting back watching things unfold. Unfortunately harsher sanctions may just be the thing that tips him over the edge.

corsair
17-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Sanctions, especialy those brought to you by those paragons of authority - the UN - only hurt the citizens of the sanctioned country, never the despot in charge.
The UN, who gave us Srebenica, Kosovo, the current situation in Burma and many other similar delights, really need to pull their heads out of their collective arses and actually do something other than pass resolutions that no-one cares about!!

adam
18-09-2017, 11:52 AM
The TL Kit has sold.

Just the ST left

wokkaboy
18-09-2017, 12:12 PM
good stuff Ads, can't wait to see what the builders do with these deluxe kits.

you are approaching 2000 posts good work Ads !

vh2580
23-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Korean kit arrived yesterday so unboxed and will give a bit of a run down.

The neck is one piece Mahogany with paddle headstock and not a bad bit of timber and well finished.
Paddle is generous and has 95mm width before the additional wings so a lot of latitude for headstock designs. Headstock has a thin flame veneer with not bad figure.
Radius is 12” neck tilt 15 degrees and the scale is 24.75”.
Fretboard is ebony and smooth with some variation in colour and has 6mm paua/ green abalone fret markers. Frets are installed well but sharp edged from machining and need a quick smooth.
Supplied Nut is plastic
1st 12th 16th
Neck thickness 20mm 24mm 26mm
Width 42.5mm 51.8mm 54.8mm

vh2580
23-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Body
Two piece body is really well joined no stray glue and the timber was finished well. Really only requires finish sanding to get to the point where you are looking at applying stains /finish
The two piece cap is well joined and again no stray glue. The figure on the cap is nicer that what comes up in the photos and will finish well. Finished well and is smooth without the grain cavities normally associated with veneer tops.
Body thickness 45mm with the cap at 17mm through the centre. Thickness of cap at edge is 5mm.
Post holes for tailpiece and bridge are drilled at the larger dimensions that suit the Chinese hardware.

vh2580
23-09-2017, 09:35 AM
Hardware and Electrics
Electronics consist of Alpha pots and a better quality switch similar to an allparts and has switchcraft jack (with battery clip attached ) and a decent football style jack plate. The only criticism is the quality of soldering and wire used.
The tailpiece and bridge are Sung and better quality than what is supplied in a standard kit. Robust,better chroming and the saddles are solid with no movement. For comparison left to right normal Supply/ Sung/ Gotoh bridges.
The tuners are Zeenco brand and are a little better quality than standard kit.
The pickups are generics and are 8.8K and 11.6k, they do seem a little better quality than the normal kits with the chrome covers.

For me I think there could be a market for these due to the quality of the neck and body timber and the potential for a really nice looking end product and probably suit someone who has built a few kits previously.
I think economically it would be better as a bare kit without the hardware, but I think it would still be up there in price >$500. I think for the timber quality that is reasonable and compares well with what is out there and is definitely cheaper that local material costs of the same quality.
The only things I would change on the body is reduce TOM post hole diameter to allow for use of mainstream brand hardware and a touch less clearance on neck body fit.

Dedman
23-09-2017, 10:35 AM
really nice Tony, thanks for the info!

Andy40
23-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Thanks for that Tony, is that Gum turpentine you put on the cap?

wokkaboy
23-09-2017, 11:15 AM
looks great Tony, can't wait to see what you do with the kit

vh2580
24-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Thanks for that Tony, is that Gum turpentine you put on the cap?

Andy was isopropyl alcohol and evaps very quickly which makes it fun to take a photo.

wazkelly
24-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Definitely looks prestige.

Joe3334
24-09-2017, 02:02 PM
While the quality of the wood for both body and neck look very good, I'm not impressed by the hardware at all. Zeenco tuners? Sung tailpiece? It would be great to know if the factory offers higher quality hardware.

adam
24-09-2017, 07:22 PM
While the quality of the wood for both body and neck look very good, I'm not impressed by the hardware at all. Zeenco tuners? Sung tailpiece? It would be great to know if the factory offers higher quality hardware.

Hi Joe, no the hardware is what it is, so if we did proceed with these kits, would sell only the body and neck.

Andy40
28-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Somebody Pleeease buy the strat.......I can;t stand it!!!!!

must....stay....strong.....

FrankenWashie
28-09-2017, 07:08 PM
I am in the same boat Andy. I have 2 near completion, 2 in paint, 3 scratchies going and a custom kit inbound. I don't need another project.

But none of the above is a Strat......😳😟😖 must resist...must resist.

wazkelly
29-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Very, very tempting with such a gorgeous looking ash body but also must remain strong.

chrissyinbkk
14-10-2017, 04:30 AM
Very, very tempting with such a gorgeous looking ash body but also must remain strong.

I think I'm getting weaker by the second....

FrankenWashie
15-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Oh bollocks, don't tell me that strat kit is still unclaimed!?

chrissyinbkk
15-10-2017, 02:33 PM
It is... but I have a cheap version of one to yet assemble...and a SGM-1....but......

Marcel
15-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Same here, would love to get another Ash ST, a big ask with already having 4 Strats and a million projects to do .....however, if those projects were to all suddenly dry up...

andrewdosborne
19-10-2017, 02:52 PM
I’d be hung drawn and quartered by the cfo if this was purchased.... I’m on notice since another fitted wardrobe was commandeered for guitars lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FrankenWashie
19-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Somebody buy that dang ST already!!😖😩🤑

chrissyinbkk
19-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Somebody buy that dang ST already!!😖😩🤑

Ohhhhhh I wonder who it was.....

chrissyinbkk
19-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Still showing on as for sale.....

FrankenWashie
19-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Still showing on as for sale.....

I was exhorting some else to snap it up so that I don’t Chrissy!

Andy40
19-10-2017, 05:06 PM
OMG!! FW just do it, I don't think i can last!!:eek:

chrissyinbkk
19-10-2017, 05:19 PM
If it ain't gone by Friday...... I'll just have to give in. can't hold on much longer

FrankenWashie
19-10-2017, 05:19 PM
OMG!! FW just do it, I don't think i can last!!:eek:

Are you sure Joanne doesn’t need a back up Strat?

Andy40
19-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Oh god its embarrassing how long her build has remained untouched.

FrankenWashie
19-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Oh god its embarrassing how long her build has remained untouched.

SSHHHHHHHUUUUSH!! She’ll hear you and you’re WRONG dude!😜🤣

adam
20-10-2017, 07:07 AM
Hey guys, yes, this is still available.

I think this shows that it's a tough sell over the $200 mark, for what is a basic Strat style kit.

If it's a struggle to sell them at what they cost to land them here, it's going to be impossible if I were to add on even our slimmest margin.

That is why I have made the decision not to pursue the deluxe Korean kits, at this stage.

So, this will be the last one.

FrankenWashie
20-10-2017, 10:17 AM
It’s all right now Lads and Lasses, the temptation grenade has been dived on...😱😜😉
Now to explain it to the Minister.....🙏🏾🤢💩☠️

chrissyinbkk
20-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Lol Frankie, I was just reading Adam's post, went to the site store and out of stock... came back here and you had posted....

FrankenWashie
20-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Lol Frankie, I was just reading Adam's post, went to the site store and out of stock... came back here and you had posted....

sorry Chris! I just couldn’t last!

Andy40
20-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Good on you FW, thanks for putting me out of my misery.;)

Adam, I think it would be good maybe to have them as a special order?

I definitely would have bought the strat except I already have too many guitars on the go.

chrissyinbkk
20-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Good on you FW, thanks for putting me out of my misery.;)

Adam, I think it would be good maybe to have them as a special order?

I definitely would have bought the strat except I already have too many guitars on the go.

I was going to get it today till Frankie snaffled it.... so yes would be interested if it was a special order item

wazkelly
20-10-2017, 07:51 PM
Body only may have been a cheaper option or maybe body & neck and leave the PUP's & hardware up to the prospective buyers.

Well done Frankie, that is one sexy looking slab of timber.

Jed51
22-10-2017, 04:54 AM
Phew!! Thanks, the temptation was getting too much! Seriously though, I am with Waz .. if I’m spending top dollars on the body I’m going to want to customise the hardware to my own taste, and it wasn’t too clear if the hardware from Korea was any better than the Chinese version. Looking forward to seeing a full review from Frankie. ??

FrankenWashie
23-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Phew!! Thanks, the temptation was getting too much! Seriously though, I am with Waz .. if I’m spending top dollars on the body I’m going to want to customise the hardware to my own taste, and it wasn’t too clear if the hardware from Korea was any better than the Chinese version. Looking forward to seeing a full review from Frankie. ??

Oh Crikey! I didn't realise the kit came with added expectations!

No biggie Jed, i was going to do something anyway given the special nature of what these kits are/were. Australia Post says it'll be here tomorrow, so we shall see how it goes.

Jed51
23-10-2017, 02:50 PM
I guess the degree of pressure on those expectations depends on whether Adam is likely to offer these kits as a custom order option at some future time. That appears to be less likely at this point, based on his most recent post to this thread. Will definitely be interested in seeing your build diary when it gets underway 😏

Simon Barden
23-10-2017, 05:55 PM
I'd have been happy to buy a Korean Strat kit at that price, though if they were going to be offered by PBG I'd liked to have seen photos of each available kit as I'd like to know what the body grain was like on the guitar before I'd bought it. That might not be that easy on the main PBG site, though probably possible via the eBay shop.

FrankenWashie
28-10-2017, 09:27 AM
I'd have been happy to buy a Korean Strat kit at that price, though if they were going to be offered by PBG I'd liked to have seen photos of each available kit as I'd like to know what the body grain was like on the guitar before I'd bought it. That might not be that easy on the main PBG site, though probably possible via the eBay shop.

I've got to say having gotten the kit and had a quick look, I am quite impressed, and I think you have a valid point Simon.

The grain structure of the body and the grain pattern on the Fretboard are both wonderful to look at on this. (Sorry @Chrissyinbkk, its actually really nice!!) You would want to be able to look at a catalogue/Web Gallery and pick these out.
I'm very tempted to give it a light sand and some invisible filler on the couple of small pull outs in the horns, then just clear coat it. Its very nice, and comparing it to the kit bodies i've had from PBG this one is a cut above.
Not saying the PBG product is not good, for the price point, its a very good base to start from, but this one definitely deserves the "Deluxe" Tag.

I've done an unboxing video, but i've also realised i've no way of uploading that. so i will have to go old school and take some pics and write a run down on it.

dave.king1
28-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Open a YouTube account FW, free and easy to use

chrissyinbkk
28-10-2017, 01:23 PM
I'm happy it is as good as it looked in the pics Frankie, and I am sure you will do a wonderful job on it, looking forward to keeping an eye on your build diary

Marcel
11-11-2017, 04:28 PM
A funny video to go with two kits that are outside my price range....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V4Nv_VU2DA

chrissyinbkk
11-11-2017, 07:47 PM
A funny video to go with two kits that are outside my price range....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V4Nv_VU2DA

I was looking at these this morning Marcel, yes expensive, too much for me too yet, I've tried some of their oils and dyes and I'm not too sure about them yet, also their fret levelling tool, which I am ok with...just need more practice....

phrozin
11-11-2017, 07:51 PM
I don't know if the price is a bit high, the prs @$600 me i would just go and buy a prs se and customized it but i'm not a prs fanboy so wouldn't buy it any way lol, theirs only a hand full of guys and girls on the forum who are hard core builders who would pay that for a kit joe blow would just buy the standard kit, i think chrissy is on the money with them as special order.

that's my 2c