PDA

View Full Version : Neck finish shades/colours

Bass Guy
11-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Hi gang, I'm looking to get some DingoTone neck finish for Elmo, but I was interested to know the differences in shades/colours between the three available. Is there a colour comparison chart I've missed?

wokkaboy
11-09-2017, 01:26 PM
hey BG, might pay to message DB, I've forgotten. I have a feeling bloodwood isn't red its more a vintage amber I think. Acacia might be more brown. Mission Beach looks almost orange and colourless speaks for itself.
So the neck or fingerboard have no finish on them ? seems strange for a factory build

andrewdosborne
11-09-2017, 01:46 PM
I've used the neck clear coat and yes, it was clear! On a maple neck it added a very slight tinge to the natural colour (like wipe-on-poly but not as yellow)

Bass Guy
11-09-2017, 07:10 PM
So the neck or fingerboard have no finish on them ? seems strange for a factory build

It was a custom order- from what I've seen the fretless Tele basses are similar. I won't be putting a finish on the fingerboard, but the neck in Acacia sounds rather lovely.

wokkaboy
11-09-2017, 07:13 PM
BG before you order the DT neck kit just check with DB, my guesses of the colours could be way off !

dingobass
15-09-2017, 04:54 PM
OK. Acacia is close to the modern F company neck colour.
Bloodwood is a vintage amber F typeesque colour
Mission Beach is a more golden colour, designed to really compliment the red and scarlet hues of DT..

Bass Guy
15-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Bloodwood sounds ideal. Order shall be placed- thanks, DB!

LADAVE
03-06-2019, 05:04 PM
Hi

This is the neck and fretboard colour of my 1981 Schecter.

What is the best approximation of this? I assume bloodwood from the earlier posts?

Also how would I finish the fretboard as its very pale?

Tegards

David

king casey
03-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Feast & Watson Golden Teak.

cheers, Mark.

LADAVE
03-06-2019, 06:51 PM
Nice looking guitar

Looks pretty close to what i want - what did you finish the fretboard with? (if anything)

There was some concern earlier in the thread that the stain on the fretboard may wear through?

Regards

David

king casey
03-06-2019, 07:07 PM
I put several coats of gloss clear acrylic over it.
Let it dry nice and hard and then fine sandpaper to get it smooth.

cheers, Mark.

Andy40
11-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Hey KC, thats an awesome Stratotele.

The only problem I've had with F&W is that because its spirit based it dries out the fretboard badly.

king casey
11-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Hey KC, thats an awesome Stratotele.

The only problem I've had with F&W is that because its spirit based it dries out the fretboard badly.

Thanks Andy. I used F&W to stain it, but if I remember it was SCA gloss clear spray over it.
Didn't make that clear sorry about that.

I did use the F&W wipe-on poly a couple of times in the past.
Once over Molotow paint...and it seemed to go well.
Didn't work over Ironlak paint though...once dry it peeled off like sunburn.

Which reminds me of another cautionary tale.
Cabot's exterior gloss did a similar thing on my JM-1 paint job...peeling off in places.

I'll have to re-visit that project in the future.
We live and learn.

cheers, Mark.

fender3x
16-06-2019, 08:07 AM
Very cool! Really love how it looks. Did you make the pickguard? I am looking for one just like it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

LADAVE
31-10-2019, 10:58 AM
Hi Just did my maple neck with bloodwood - its turned out a bit more orange than classical amber. Not the worst match against the blue body but not quite what I was expecting.

Message to self - remember - its a kit and a learning curve

Comparison with my '81 Schecter- oh and I replaced the plastic fret dots with abalone - that was not stressful:D:D