PDA

View Full Version : Rocktober!!! Gotm

Brendan
03-09-2017, 10:54 AM
ROCKTOBER!!! GOTM

Given we're heading toward ROCKTOBER!!! who wants to be champion kit guitar builder for ROCKTOBER!!! 2017? While for this there are no fortunes (just fame - or at least within the BYOGuitar fraternity) there's an opportunity for fame for the best guitar completed in October 2017.

October Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in September 2017)

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars ROCKTOBER!!! 2017 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) the end of September 2017

One guitar/bass per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for ROCKTOBER!!! closes at the end of September 2017.

The sorts of things we judge on include:
· How well has the body and neck been prepared
· Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
· How well has the finish been applied
· How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
· Does it have the "Wow Factor"
· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

I'm a personal fan of demos - no matter how simple - everyone likes to hear how an axe has turned out!

Also worth thinking - we've got a range of judges and who knows what they'll like (or not), so don't be afraid to enter your guitar - no matter whether you think it's good enough to win or not - on the day, you may get a couple to swing your way!

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest judge the following month!

jmax
04-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Here's my entry - the main work was finished by the beginning of August, but I've let the guitar bed in and and have made adjustments and modifications since then.

This is a GR-1SF, basically stock. The two modifications are a bone nut and a roller bridge. The finish is natural with just a light touch of Tru Oil - four coats each on the body and neck. I like the satin finish and that the texture of the grain is still visible. I expect to touch it up with new coats from time to time.

I'm sticking with the stock pickups for the moment - I was pleasantly surprised at their tone. They're not as hot as some of my other guitars, but there is a simple answer to that - just turn up the amp.

I was also pleased with the quality of the components for the most part. The pickup holes are a bit off centre, so the low strings don't land perfectly on the poles, but I haven't really noticed it affecting the sound all that much. I've noticed that on photos of some of the other builds.

Front view:

Back view:

Headstock:

Body finish and build:

And a video demo of the guitar just after I finished it, and before the bone nut and roller bridge and additional setup tweaking. I'll probably post another one in the near future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNbQWUf2rkk

Brendan
04-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Looking great Jmax!

wokkaboy
04-09-2017, 10:31 PM
Nice looking build Jmax.

andrewdosborne
05-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Nice work jmax!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kick
05-09-2017, 06:57 PM
I agree! Top job done JMax!

OliSam
05-09-2017, 08:32 PM
What a beauty

Sent from outta space using MartianTalk

Marcel
07-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Must be a month for hollow bodies....

I offer for consideration my ES-1TL build.

Features...
Waxed hard Shellac finish over U-beaut Green then Blue water based dyes.
Tonerider Alnico AC2N and AC2B PU's
Kluson vintage tuners,
Bone nut
Bigsby copy tremolo system
Realtone roller bridge,
Triangle markers on all controls
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings 010/046.

As I got my new TC electronics polytune 3 earlier in the week I decided today was the day to do all the final adjustments to this build, being intonation and nut adjustment.... and then spent the next 3 hours with it plugged into my AC15 clone build discovering for myself why a certain front man individual likes this kind of axe so much that he has his own line of them at Gibson. With the volume controls backed off the Tonerider AC2's certainly have the clarity to articulate very nicely, and when wound up will give the amp plenty of sweet meat to cook and listeners to munch on. I started with cleans, which quickly digressed with tremolo on the amp into 'House of the rising Sun', then onward with incrementally more gain and less tremolo to I'll let you guess where...

Sonic Mountain
07-09-2017, 05:23 PM
I am not a hollow body guy but both these look great.

nitroburner1000
07-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Basicly a solid bodied guy myself but if i build a hollow these 2 are how i would like it to turn out, great job.

johnnyp51
12-09-2017, 02:02 AM
Took a while but is done plays nice i Have been playing since Iwas 15 Im 66 now first time building a bass it was fun and I learned a lot,now about the bass the color is vinyl wrap the white is paint the pickup is a sterling the pickguard was made by me the decal came from england

Andy40
13-09-2017, 05:31 AM
Great builds, Jmax, Marcel and klegacy.

wazkelly
13-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Looking good Klegacy.

Can't decide if I prefer the Yellow one or the Grey one? Both superbly finished.

klegacy
14-09-2017, 01:56 AM
Looking good Klegacy.

Can't decide if I prefer the Yellow one or the Grey one? Both superbly finished.

Thanks man .. I was some happy with the paint myself. Pics don't do them justice. I sent him pics of my Musicman Luke 3 for reference, and he matched the metallic perfectly. They are really wicked little guitars.

mallynoshow
14-09-2017, 08:26 AM
First go at a build, and I loved the experience. Plays fantastically well and even though I haven't adjusted the bridge, there is zero fret buzz. Can't edit post on IPad so will add headstock and back photos shortly.

wokkaboy
14-09-2017, 08:37 AM
sweet looking axes Marcel and Klegacy.
@ Klegacy why would you build 2 of the same kits when there is well over 100 to choose from? I love the paint but unfortunately will be docking points for not painting it yourself !

wokkaboy
14-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Hi Mally, you have to enter into the Rocktober GOTM thread. As you said needs headstock and back photos and a close up of the body so we can see the finish thanks. Looks great though.

FrankenWashie
14-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Removed my entry .. I am super happy with my guitars, and with who I had paint them. That is all I need I guess. Take care all, thanks for the assistance to those I spoke with on my build journey. I thought maybe I would get a chance at GOTM for the work I put into these, but it seems that having someone else paint them is a no no, so I am out. Take care. PS @Wokkaboy: I built two of them, because I love the kit and style of guitar. I have lots of others to chose from of different styles. Looking to have my account removed if anyone knows how I can do this. Emailed support already. Peace out, and to those who helped me along the way, again thanks.

I don't see anything in the rules that says you can't have anyone else paint it for you? It has to be a PBG kit and you can't be a professional or part time professional luthier building them specifically for sale and profit is all I can see Klegacy.
Leave it in mate, because irrespective of who painted it its a good looking build. (I should probably get someone else to paint mine as my first couple of efforts have been absolutely awful).

klegacy
14-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Thanks @Frankenwashie .. if there is nothing in the rules about this why are people frowning upon it. I am proud of the work I did on both of these guitars. It was a ton of work, and a real learning process. Will leave it in, but was not happy with the comment about not painting it myself. I wanted a quality finish, and would not have come close to what I wanted on my own. Both are deep metallic candy finishes. I will leave it in there. I got the same comments on my yellow build as well, and was docked points for not painting it myself. Who knows this month .. we'll see.

wokkaboy
14-09-2017, 10:27 AM
@Klegacy, I'm sorry if I offended you. There are no rules who painted the guitar. It's just my opinion anyone who enters GOTM it's your build and in the spirit of the competition you should build it from out of the box until it's finished. The only way you will improve building skills is to do it yourself and improve each subsequent build.
Anyway I agree with Franky leave it in, I'm one judge of 6 or 7 judges so other judges will view it differently.
That's fine to get it painted professionally but I will favour entries who did all the work themselves

dingobass
14-09-2017, 10:45 AM
You are a very naughty boy, Wokka. Go and sit in the naughty corner and have a think about it for five minutes. And no beer for you for a week :)
It really doesn't matter who or what builds are finished with, the judges should be marking on the whole build.

DB has spoken.

FrankenWashie
14-09-2017, 10:47 AM
You are a very naughty boy, Wokka. Go and sit in the naughty corner and have a think about it for five minutes. And no beer for you for a week :)
It really doesn't matter who or what builds are finished with, the judges should be marking on the whole build.

DB has spoken.
Steady on DB!? No beer for a WEEK?! That's just cruel and unusual punishment, are you trying to mortally wound him? 😂😜

dingobass
14-09-2017, 10:48 AM
It really doesn't matter by who or with what builds are finished with, the judges should be marking on the whole build.

DB has spoken.

FrankenWashie
14-09-2017, 10:55 AM
@Klegacy, it's all good mate and you're very welcome. I have really liked both of your SH builds, particularly the yellow one.

wokkaboy
14-09-2017, 10:58 AM
bugger no beer for a week that's going to be tough DB, you are a harsh man !

dingobass
14-09-2017, 01:47 PM
So harsh it posted both versions.... edited and un edited! !

andrewdosborne
14-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Haha Woks I’ll send you a slab of soda to survive on!

wokkaboy
14-09-2017, 04:02 PM
cheers Ponch you are so generous and caring haha anything to add to the soda please - hint hint ?

Andy40
14-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Klegacy, it really saddens me that you would consider such lengths as to remove your entry and delete your account over the post.

I doubt there was any malice intended with Wokks post. Sometimes people post things that can be taken badly but try to keep an open mind. You can always send a PM to the person who offended you.

I, in fact, said that your build was great and I am a GTOM judge, as did others, does that not count?

I am not a fan of headless guitars but I can appreciate a beautiful build when I see one. The good news is that you can build as many as you like, I'll still watch with interest because i like what you have done with them.

wazkelly
14-09-2017, 08:53 PM

If he truly wanted to punish you he could have put a curse on that converted all your beer to Emu Export Bush Chook Beer...

JB RETRO
15-09-2017, 05:27 AM
I don't think it matters who paints your axe, especially when you want something super nice for your self. Although if you're going to enter it in GOTM and it's competing with guitars finished by all of us wanna be luthiers, then I too would deduct points as a judge. Still a great guitar .. but

wokkaboy
15-09-2017, 07:17 AM
Thanks JB. Exactly the same as my views

Marcel
15-09-2017, 12:03 PM
As an entrant in this month competition I know and can see there is no comparison between the finish on my build and Klegacy's build. They are very different axe's...

Hopefully and I'm sure it is the case, when it comes time for the judges to do their thing the 'shiny glossy bling factor' is not the only thing they consider...

But, Damn !!... that is a gloriously nice finish on that axe Klegacy.....

andrewdosborne
15-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Nice axe klegacy and love the body/neck colour combo I don't see an issue having someone else finish it, looks tops! I've built other non-PBG axes with pre-finished bodies kind of the same thing really. I've also refinished quite a few axes to get them how I've wanted them but you have removed that hassle in both time & $...

JB RETRO
15-09-2017, 12:16 PM
No worries Wokka, it's like me buying a predone body and bolting it together. Should only be judged on that which you do yourself. Just my opinion, with no disrespect to what is a really nice guitar

dingobass
15-09-2017, 04:31 PM
There has been some discussion amoung the Powers That Be and the general consensus is that it may, emphasis on the may, give an entrant an unfair advantage over those with a DIY finish.
Having said that, there have been some cracker finish jobs done in the past by folk who have a professional background in paint, a ton of man cave experience or who are just plain too clever for their own good.....
So, it is my thought that in the spirit of fairness to all, those who put their hand up and admit to having a pro finish done should be marked more on the other aspects of the build and not have points deducted for a pro paint job.
Give me some feedback on this guys and gals. Let me know what you are thinking and any suggestions, ideas and thoughts will be duly considered.
I will start a thread in DB's Corner where you can post your thoughts etc.

klegacy
15-09-2017, 09:56 PM
The two kits I did @dingobass were a ton of work. I filled in below the stock bridge with basswood to fill the hole for the stock tailpiece, I also spent a lot of time with the necks to get just the right stain and finish I wanted, and on the headpiece. As I mentioned in my post I upgraded to the jCustom hardware, which was not an exact fit and require some shimming and mods. I realize the painting is an important part of the process, but to me I was not even going to attempt it. I wanted a finish the same as are on some of my Musicman Luke 3 models. They matched it pretty much, and for a very fair price. A custom bike shop of all places and I ended up with two beautiful axes. It is a part of the process, just not the whole part. I agree that we should all be scored fairly, and I think it is wrong to deduct points for missing just one aspect of the build process. Sanding, fitting, neck finishing, fitting after the paint, setup, tweaking, etc. My thoughts, an I hope my entry will be considered. They are really great guitars and were worth every step and drop of sweat I put into them. Thanks everyone for the comments. Great forum really.

AndyBurd
16-09-2017, 03:22 AM
I'm trying to post my new ESB bass and I'm having trouble finding where to do it

adam
16-09-2017, 05:21 AM
I'm trying to post my new ESB bass and I'm having trouble finding where to do it

Hi Andy, your images were just too large (in pixels) to post. I have reduced them and here they are:

"This is a really cool ESB-4 Bass in Black/Red burst, painted by my drummer John Stubblefield.
I think it's a very original color, Adam will explain the custom bridge saddles*.
Thank you
Andy"

22279 22280 22281 22282

*Andy had a lot of trouble getting the right height on his bridge. If you look closely, you can see he's had someone engineer some custom brass saddles to get more height on the strings. An incredible workaround.

PeterSik
16-09-2017, 06:54 AM
looks good...

still waiting for a bit of sunshine so i can take pics of my esb to post here..

hope fender3x can get his on here as well ... rocktober will be semihollow heaven ;)

Fretworn
16-09-2017, 06:54 AM

DB's taken away your superpower...... ;)

Dedman
16-09-2017, 07:40 AM
That is an awesome colour combo

wokkaboy
16-09-2017, 09:59 AM
beautiful ESB-4 Andy, love the colour and finish.
@ Klegacy I can appreciate what work you have put into your build. As DB has suggested I will be scoring your entry on all the other aspects of the build. And I won't be deducting points.

mallynoshow
16-09-2017, 11:16 AM
IB-5. First attempt at a build. Oak stain with Satin poly finish. Sheared a few screw heads on cover plate, which was annoying.

wokkaboy
16-09-2017, 01:54 PM
looks great Mally, I love my IB-5 I converted to fretless

DarkMark
16-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Great looking build Jmax! I'm yet to start my own (and first) guitar build and I like your timber finish very much. Am I correct in understanding that you have only sanded the surface of the guitar and applied try oil? Nice work!

wazkelly
16-09-2017, 09:02 PM
"This is a really cool ESB-4 Bass in Black/Red burst, painted by my drummer John Stubblefield.
I think it's a very original color, Adam will explain the custom bridge saddles*.
Thank you
Andy"
*Andy had a lot of trouble getting the right height on his bridge. If you look closely, you can see he's had someone engineer some custom brass saddles to get more height on the strings. An incredible workaround.

With all the debate about professional paint finishing this one looks exceptionally good. Would have preferred a build diary so that we have a bit of a back story behind the finished product when it comes time to judging.

jmax
17-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Thanks! Yes - the approach I took was to do a lot of sanding to get the wood nice and smooth, and then four coats of Tru Oil. I wanted the grain to show, and to allow the body to breath to really get the hollow body resonance. Originally, I only did three coats of Tru Oil on the neck because the maple is so dense, but I recent added a fourth. I think I'll be adding a fifth coat to the body the next time I replace the strings. It's been amazing to experience the process of this guitar "settling in" over a couple months after I finished the build.

FrankenWashie
17-09-2017, 09:23 PM
IB-5. First attempt at a build. Oak stain with Satin poly finish. Sheared a few screw heads on cover plate, which was annoying.

Lovely work, well done!

PeterSik
17-09-2017, 11:33 PM
gday all..

here's my entry for the Rocktober GOTM
finally a day bright enough to take the final pics though it's been ready for about a week now.. i am going to swap out the pickups and pots at some point.. but that may take a while so for now i'm calling it good.. been playing it quite a lot lately.. she does sound good to me.

22321 22322 22323

22324 22325

taking pics is not my forte.. but i do like the way the colour changes with the lighting

for more info on my build http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=7702

JB RETRO
18-09-2017, 04:32 AM
You must be stoked, love the green gloss. Really nice

wokkaboy
18-09-2017, 07:07 AM
Nice entry Peter looks very tasty

stoksy
23-09-2017, 03:29 PM
https://scontent.fbne2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21617991_10155798710934533_6293369903051472762_n.j pg?oh=18b03c51d0758ee658ed3939dd988917&oe=5A5423D6
https://scontent.fbne2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21687951_10155798710829533_5940455565586210442_n.j pg?oh=01fc24757b97396c85f24da8c600a000&oe=5A3BA4C7
https://scontent.fbne2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21686456_10155798711054533_1011924692698461651_n.j pg?oh=3a7a900cccbe519a4e8c8bde88dc5466&oe=5A47EA06
https://scontent.fbne2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21762208_10155798711094533_2097199257488380821_n.j pg?oh=3008b0cd2a9cb6422ace31e8b9a5dd39&oe=5A4CC2EF
https://scontent.fbne2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21765073_10155798711199533_6308646752678091626_n.j pg?oh=0f9edc2591a238f520b831dd7b2645f8&oe=5A4FAAE6
https://scontent.fbne2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21761428_10155798711339533_1744923394751804244_n.j pg?oh=16ac9379bdce7dbd58dcc55d8ee80c26&oe=5A528E76

Lots of playing with acid to get all the rust on here, messed up the tuners with rust thought, gonna have to replace them at some point, but is all in working order :)

First attempt

wazkelly
24-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Very interesting Stoksy

teamjeffo
24-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Holy moley!! What a ride that was! First build, but certainly not my last!

This is my Rocktober GOTM entry, being an FS-1 from PBG. Dubbed the “Flinty” (my surname) YEAH/NAH-CASTER.

I pretty much upgraded everything in the end except for the strings and strap buttons (give me time). I chose some Lace Alumitone pups because the look the shiz, and to complement I invested in some new pots. I wasn’t keen on a trapeze, I upgraded the bridge and tailpiece to a Gotoh set. At time of purchase I upgraded to the locking tuners, and so far I am really impressed.

I am so happy with it. I will re-solder the internals in the not to near future, as I learnt I have a lot to learn there, but it is functioning the way it should. I just don’t trust that I did a forever job. A lesson from my mate will do me good for project #2.

I have learnt heaps along the way, and had to redo a few things. I cannot emphasise how much fun I have had creating this.

I’d say scraping the binding was the most stressful part of the build, and the soldering was the most frustrating.

Also, Big shout out to all on this forum for answering my questions. I couldn’t have done it without you.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/756d7fb03a302aab9935d22678a379d0.heichttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/bcd3e0f0c933d7ac4e268c28a625c3d1.heichttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/cd88da78489d3dc12ea030f03459e26c.heichttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/700fc45efbb7f4a92b690fa2b0919368.heichttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/37717dcceae77e8c777922258733b202.heichttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/d3ca79dda0718bfaee7bbbe45f6fe044.heic

teamjeffo
24-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Forgot to mention, used Wudtone Azure Lagoon, for the body, and Wudtone aged amber for the neck, with a clear nitro lacquer over the top to protect the waterslide.

And I did it myself [emoji6][emoji1365][emoji1598]

Sonic Mountain
24-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Awesome job man! This is a real contender IMO.

Sonic Mountain
24-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Lots of playing with acid to get all the rust on here, messed up the tuners with rust thought, gonna have to replace them at some point, but is all in working order :)

First attempt

https://scontent.fbne2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21687951_10155798710829533_5940455565586210442_n.j pg?oh=01fc24757b97396c85f24da8c600a000&oe=5A3BA4C7

This is really interesting, but the pics are playing up for me. I've managed to see a couple and its a nice take on the relic'd look. I know its not for everyone, but I really like rat rodded cars etc so it works for me. I also like the cutaway at the base, nice rework of the tele shape.

Dedman
26-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Finished the DM-1S today.
Body and neck are stained with wood dyes then about 30 thin coats of Tru Oil. The top wasn't sanded or grain filled at all, there was a few small glue spots and a line up the center between the pick up and the neck. I camouflaged that with some matching paint and a tiny brush which I painted some extra "spalt" on. The back is "cedar" mixed with a little black and red, the top is cedar, red and orange mixed. fretboard is finished in Ren Wax.
The kit comes with a P90 but I had always intended to use a humbucker so I had to open up the cavity a tiny pit with the dremel. The pick up is a Kent Armstrong Motherbucker which is actually 2 humbuckers side by side, so I added a 3 way switch to choose plus spit them both with push pull pots so there is quite a range of sounds from what looks like 1 pick up. bridge is a Hipshot Baby Grand, tuners are Grovers, knobs are ebony and the truss rod cover is a veneer offcut stained with the same mix as the back.

FrankenWashie
26-09-2017, 08:50 AM
I love it Dedman! There's another one on the kit list!

teamjeffo
26-09-2017, 01:51 PM
[emoji1598]

There goes my hopes of winning!

Sonic Mountain
26-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Nice to see some clearer pics of it Dedman. Top one in particular is pretty cool.

I still think you are in with a chance teamjeffo, yours has a definite x-factor.

wokkaboy
26-09-2017, 03:42 PM
very nice entries Jeffo and Dedman, both great looking axes

Dedman
26-09-2017, 04:22 PM
na, your Starcaster is fantastic Jeffo and your garden is lusher !

wazkelly
26-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Some good entries this month.

teamjeffo
26-09-2017, 08:12 PM
na, your Starcaster is fantastic Jeffo and your garden is lusher !

Haha!! I’m figuring that out as I go too

Fake it til you make it

Big Mike
27-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Howdy all, here's my entry for Rocktober GOTM. It's been a huge learning curve and a lesson in patience. After initially stuffing up the set neck, I managed to steam it apart and put it back together properly. Phew! I'm really happy with how she turned out. Tone is a beast! Upgraded most bits, tusq nut, Leddin Vintage guitars handwound 8k hot p90, bridge and pots. I put on the spare knobs from my pbass build, which I reckon look cooler than the black plastic ones. Paint job is fiesta red nitro on the top with acrylic black burst. The back and neck is black Japan wood dye covered with wipe on gloss poly. I'm loving playing it at the moment, can't put her down, cheers!

FrankenWashie
27-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Nice work Big Mike! Especially the set neck save!!

U1F
28-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Hey Everyone,
I had just finished my first build which was a Les Paul style kit. I'm quite happy the way it turned out - being my first kit.

The only changes from the kit are:
Added: Grover mini locking tuners
Knob pointers
Apart from that everything else is stock.

I stained the top with Transtint Black and Blue and the back with a mahogany wood stain by Feast Watson.
The guitar was finished with tru oil, with a gloss finish on the front and a matte finish on the back and neck.

Enjoy!

Front View:
Close Up:
Back View:
Head Stock:

FrankenWashie
28-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Really nice job U1F, I love that deep swampy green!

PeterSik
30-09-2017, 05:16 AM
agreed.. great colour..

of course i'm biased.. mine's near the same colour.. also a bit green.. done with blue stain/dye

pohlack
30-09-2017, 10:17 PM

Kick
01-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Very nice entries this month. Hard to tell who is going to be the winner...

Brendan
04-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Entries have closed. I'll kick off judging shortly and a new GOTM comp soon.

Sonic Mountain
04-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Really diverse batch again.

JB RETRO
04-10-2017, 02:07 PM
[emoji1598]

There goes my hopes of winning!

The judges will see the effort Jeffo. Youv'e got a great shot.

Sonic Mountain
09-10-2017, 07:16 AM
The suspense is killing me.....

Marcel
09-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Not surprising with such a big field and a lot of great entries....and a lot to consider by the judges...

If they were all in a guitar store It would be hard to pick which would go out the door first....

Brendan
09-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Sorry guys - I've been down with the lurg for the last few days. I'll collate results and get them up as soon as I can.

Brendan
09-10-2017, 08:42 PM
So to the comments...
JMax GR-1SF
I like the simplicity of the finish. I'd be tempted to go back try and get the tuning machines in better alignment, especially the G string.
Nice and elegantly done in a natural finish. Amazing effort given the short amount of time taken to complete. Good demo video too.
The simplicity of this build is the thing that grabbed me the most. It is the first build I've seen of John's and to accomplish a set neck and F hole wiring for a novice all in a very short space of time is a feat in itself. The guitar doesn't rely on any tricks, bells or whistles, its just there in all its glory. Well done.
Clean, subtle, beautiful. I love it. The natural finish really works nicely with this build. The bridge and nut upgrades are wise choices, and the overall package is excellent. The only concerns are it looks like the bridge is at its lower limit which could be an issue for future adjustment, and there appears to be a slight discolouration on the binding where it tapers to the meet the neck in the cutaway. An elegant, tasteful guitar.

Marcel ES-1TL
Green/Blue are notoriously difficult stain colours, but you have managed a really even and consistent finish.
Unique colour finish. Love the headstock shape. Lots of useful quality upgrades too.
Marcel's got GAS worse than me! The Youbeaut stains have worked well and a shellac finish (and scraping that binding) is a labour of love. I am drawn to the aftermarket parts, the roller bridge, the grovers and I KNOW how sweet those Tonerider AC2's sound. Pat on the back yet again Marcel.
It's not the sort of colour that normally appeals to me, but I quite like it on this build. The top looks excellent and works well with the grain, but the back appears to have be more of a challenge to get an even colour. Great upgrades all round and nice headstock shape. Looks like a real 'grab it and play'. Very nice.

JohnnyP51s TLB-4M
Love the colour choices. Not sure what's happening with the binding in the cutaway though.
This is a killer bass, I've never seen one before! Vinyl finishes are also pretty rare here too. Interesting colour scheme. Great Job Johnnyp51!
Vinyl wrap for the finish is a different approach that looks good combined with black pin stripe binding and white sandwiched in the middle. Cool decal and like you choice for PUP but not so sure about scratch plate colour.
It's certainly different, makes me think caramel and ice cream. We don't often see vinyl wraps and this has come up well, although there are a few spots around the edges, particularly the cutaway, where the vinyl appears a bit rippled. It's hard to tell from the photos but it looks like the body could have benefited from some further prep-work before the vinyl was applied. I love the headstock, logo, and overall look of the bass, but I'm not entirely sold on the pickguard. Nice job.

Mally's IB-5
Great job all round.
Beautiful! oak stain with black hardware and finished with satin poly. What a great ensemble Mally. I'm glad you got through the wiring problems and great come back from shearing those screws...been there before! You should be proud of this one.
Dark brown seems to be most popular colour for this kit and looks good plus nailed same shade on neck & headstock too which is not easy matching Maple to Ash.
IB-5's always look great, and this is no exception. It's just a sexy bass. The colour looks good on it, although it appears there are some glue marks the were reluctant to take stain. Clean, functional and groovy. The fretboard appears a little dry and I think it would enhance the overall look with a bit oil lubing and darkening it. Well done.

Klegacys SH-1
Another great job. My personal opinion is that the yellow worked much better than the silver though.
I have never been a fan of this kit....until now! Look I know its a professional paint job, but I love it, and a great paint job doesn't cover up build problems. Great choice of black hardware and neck colour, its badass! Look at that Bridge!!!! I wish I could find the build diary but I can't. I can't believe I would say this about a headless but would buy this guitar (or the yellow one! nah probably this one is my fav.)
Forgiven for no headstock logo or truss rod cover in this instance. Nice colour and good contrast on the front. Neck tint works a lot better than if left natural. I would have painted same as guitar but still looks great.
No headstock image !! Excellent finish and great colour choice, and I love the look of the back of the neck - that is all kinds of gorgeous. I think they're a tough guitar to love, looks wise, but I actually don't mind this. It's clearly been built by someone who has an appreciation for this style of guitar, and the results show. Very nice.

Andy Burd ESB-4
Love the colour. To me it is a classic finish that suits this bass perfectly.
Stunning Red burst finish. Tend to expect set necks to have same finish as the body though as stark natural Maple has an abrupt look. Interesting bridge modification.
Great build AndyBurd. The gloss on this baby is first class man. I only wished the red stain popped a little more and the gloss didn't get in the cavities. Interesting saddles! Over all, great job Andy!
A beautiful dark burst with some impressive gloss. An innovative solution with the custom saddles to correct the action, although the kink on the higher strings worries me a little. I hope the saddle slots are deep enough to keep them in place. A great shape for a bass and nicely finished. I love the contrast been the headstock face and back of the neck. Great result.

Brendan
09-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Peter Sik ESB-4
Great finish and colour. Love the custom truss rod cover.
Dark & stormy green finish all over which looks great. Cool headstock logo and a pointy custom truss rod cover.
Great blue burst! Nice gloss, well put together. Sterling effort, I bet that thing is heaps of fun to play.
I also like the way it changes colour in the light. Great flame poppage too. A couple of rough points though like the truss rod cover and the final coat but over all a pretty solid guitar!
One of those colours that looks different every time/place you see it. I love the light-dark transitions on the back of the neck, very nice. And, definitely prefer it when the body colour looks more blue in the photos. A nice clean build, but I'd like to see the fretboard get a scrape and nice oiling.

Stoksy TL-1A
Radical looking headstock shape plus additional cutaway on rear of body. Very antique looking and quite a nice shade too.
Not a huge fan of relics, but this is well done. Lovely patina on the pickguard. The cutout at the rear could have been a bit smoother.
It's definitely a custom build, with some full-on mods. The acid washing and ageing look great, as do the cuts and scallops on the body. The headstock looks great but the severity of the cut out makes me concerned for its strength and longevity. The worn, dusty colour really suits the build. Wild.

Team Jeffos FS-1
Holy dooly! Pretty! Great choice of colour and upgrades. All the fine details have been handled very well. Beautiful job!
Great shade of blue with plenty of grain still showing. Nice touches on front & rear of headstock but feel a set neck should be same colour as the body. Plenty of useful upgrades too.
I'm not really a fan of the FS, particularly the headstock, but this one has come up beautifully with the Azure Lagoon and Amber Wudtone. Great shimmer on the flame top and the more subtle grain fade on the back works well too, and the backs are always tough with this type of colour. A more discreet loom to better hide the wiring would enhance it further. A clean, nicely finished build with great logos and decals, topped off well by the Alumitones. Excellent.

Dedman DM-1S
Nice kit and top notch upgrades. Dedman is becoming quite the expert assembler. Excellent quality as always.
Dedman’s signature build looks good with some subtle understated elegant ebony control knobs and custom timber truss rod cover. Baby Grand Piano tail piece is the show piece along with the hot PUP.
My brain doesn't know what to think when I look at this: it's a V, no it's a DC JR, it's spalted, it's got a baby grand and motherbucker! All the typical Dedman touches and attention to detail with the little extras done to correct/hide any blemishes in the kit. I'm finding the headstock face a little dark compared to the top of the body. It works well with the back and back of the neck, but not as much with the top. Interesting switching options and it just looks like something you'd grab and play.

Big Mikes JRM-1DC
Nice vintage style burst, suits this kit very well. Looks the biz through and through. A logo would finish it off perfectly.
Colour scheme screams Green Day Punk Rock all over. Nice headstock sticker but no logo yet? Handy upgrades too.
Love a double-cut. Great save with the neck, steaming and re-gluing is not for the faint-hearted. I'm digging the faded black on the back and neck, but the top's burst is a little severe for my taste. I think it looks better from angles/lighting where the fiesta appears a little darker as it helps with transition, but I do like that colour combo. The headstock face looks like the mahogany could have used some grain filling to smooth it out a bit. Nice build.

UIFS LP-1
Ooh! You don't see enough green LPs if you ask me. Good quality gloss and well assembled. Excellent first kit, hope to see more.
Another dark & stormy looking guitar that looks more green than blue. Interesting striped look on the back and like that shade of brown. Grovers are a sensible upgrade too.
Great colour on the back of the body and neck, and the flame of the top has come up nicely. Headstock shaping appears a little rough in the photos, but I loce the dark contrast of the headstock face. A great looking and well put together build. The fretboard could definitely use an oiling to nourish and enhance it. Excellent build.

Pohlacks PB-4
Love this classic take on a P. Great colour and the pearloid pickguard really sets it off. Love what you've done with the logo to make it your own. Bravo!
Looks great with the subtle burst and pearloid scratch plate. Love that the headstock is in the same colour theme and can only presume neck and body rear are the same. Looks like SD PUP upgrade too.
Wow, that really is an excellent sunset sunburst. A fading burnt orange that just looks amazing. To me, this is just a beautiful bass with echoes of years gone by. The headstock, fretboard and body all look to have received a lot of care and attention during the build. Classic, classy and I wish we got to see the back.

Brendan
09-10-2017, 08:46 PM
And the results...

The runner up is Dedman with the DM-1S

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22458&d=1506386176&thumb=1

And the winner TeamJeffo's FS-1!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170924/756d7fb03a302aab9935d22678a379d0.heic

Congratulations!

Apologies for the delay in getting the results - we know how keenly people watch for them at the end of the month.

Thanks also to the judges - big month and lots of work with some difficult decisions!

wazkelly
09-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Congrats Team Jeffo and Dedman plus all other entrants.

It was a field almost as big as a Melbourne Cup race and chock full of highly desirable axes.

Andy40
09-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Massive Month with a bunch of quality builds. Great job Jeffo, beautiful axe.
Deddy, what can I say, signature build man, league of its own.:cool:

Sonic Mountain
10-10-2017, 03:52 AM
Woo, congrats TeamJeffo, tough field, but deserving winner.

JB RETRO
10-10-2017, 04:40 AM
Well done Jeffo and Dedman. As always some beautiful guitars on show, with deserving winners

FredA
10-10-2017, 05:29 AM
Congrats Jeffro and Deadman!
That was a lot of guitars this month!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fretworn
10-10-2017, 05:31 AM
Well deserved winners. A great month with lots of great guitars. Congrats everyone.

teamjeffo
10-10-2017, 06:07 AM
Shut the front door!!

I’m honoured! I have been keeping a close eye on this thread, but I honestly thought MallyNoShow, PeterSik or Dedman would have taken home the gong.

Seriously Dedman, that axe is looks amazing. If there was a money prize, I’d feel inclined to split it with you.

Thanks to all in this forum for everything, especially the encouragement! Can’t wait to start another project!

Dedman
10-10-2017, 06:51 AM
Congrats Jeffo, well deserved win.
Ty for the kind words chaps.

vh2580
10-10-2017, 07:11 AM
Congrats Jeffo and Dedman great builds. Another full on month

Marcel
10-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Well done TeamJeffo and Dedman... Both are great and deserving guitars...

wokkaboy
10-10-2017, 11:40 AM
congratulations Jeffo and Dedman. Never count yourself out Jeffo as the judges tastes are all different. A top month of entries it's getting harder and harder to win a GOTM with the quality of the builds and the amount of entries. Keep up all the good building forum !

Kick
10-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Great winners and they are raising the bar for us other builders ;)

pohlack
12-10-2017, 02:01 AM
Thank you,and here it is...22714

wazkelly
12-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Thank you,and here ist it...22714Man that looks awesome and would have scored more points if included in shots posted for judging.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Sonic Mountain
12-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Agreed, thats a great finish and colour. Looks like a lolly.

teamjeffo
14-10-2017, 08:17 PM
https://youtu.be/Kg9lJcdRsG8

wazkelly
14-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Sounds great.

andrewdosborne
19-10-2017, 02:54 PM
I’m a bit slow to this one but congrats winners and all entrants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Andy40
21-10-2017, 05:40 AM
nice and smooth jeffo

nitroburner1000
21-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Late congrats to all