PDA

View Full Version : Fret size SH-1 kit

klegacy
17-08-2017, 05:24 AM
Hey all:

Can someone please help me with this info. I want to replace the zero fret on my SH-1 kits with a stainless steel fret. Getting some scratchy sounds from the standard fret in there now. Can anyone tell me the fret size of this zero fret and of the other frets in comparison?

Thanks

Simon Barden
17-08-2017, 05:27 PM
I think you'll need to email Adam and see if he has the details, or else he'll have to ask the factory for the standard fret details. The kits are made in 3 factories, so they may vary from kit to kit. But they certainly aren't the hardest frets available.

You'll need to know the fret height and the tang depth and width. If you've got a digital vernier calliper, you could probably measure the dimensions yourself. The zero fret should be a bit taller than the other frets.

In the meantime, you could try sanding and polishing the zero nut to extend it's current life whilst you are waiting for the details.

Stainless steel frets are very hard and it takes an awful long time to file down rough edges, sand out any marks and go through the grits until they are smooth again. I levelled and re-profiled my one guitar with SS frets and it took me a couple of days until everything was smooth again. I can typically do a standard neck in around an hour.

So you'll need some cutters with an edge that will cut through the ends of a SS fret once the fret is installed, plus files (preferably diamond) for filing down the fret ends and a good selection of sandpaper and micromesh cloth or pads to get the ends clean and polished. You'll also need some fret puller pliers to get the fret out to avoid damaging the fretboard.

A soft-faced hammer (brass or plastic) is best to knock the fret in with. You don't want to mark the top of the fret by using a normal hammer directly, so if that's all you have, use a block of wood on the fret first.

If you are unsure or don't want to get all the tools required, you might be better off taking the guitar to a local luthier (if you can find one) and have them do the job. It's only one fret, but being SS, it's going to take them longer than with a standard fret, so the cost will be a bit higher than you'd expect.