PDA

View Full Version : Pickups upgraded

Micky
09-08-2017, 04:12 PM
Hi there, have started the build on a JB4A and ordered some pickups from Bareknuckle. The wires seem to need some relief to have the pickup sit nicely. Should I be getting in there with a router to make some space or do I raise the pickup off the cavity base?

Fretworn
09-08-2017, 04:19 PM
In most cases pickups will be raised, usually with springs. Foam is sometimes used as an alternative.

Simon Barden
09-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Yes, foam under the pickups is pretty standard for JB pups. Without it the pups would sit too low and not be height adjustable. The pickups should come with mounting screws and foam. I fitted a BK P-bass pup to a friend's bass and that came with them.

Micky
09-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Ok, thanks. Loads of foam packing with the BKP's but I'll see what else I can find!

Simon Barden
09-08-2017, 05:38 PM
If you can't find any, then look on eBay for adhesive-backed neoprene foam. It comes in various heights and sheet sizes. Get it a bit taller than it needs to be as you need to compress it slightly to hold the pickup firmly (though not too much as it will generally become very stiff once compressed by 1/3). I found it a lot cheaper than buying the dedicated pickup foam from a guitar store.