PDA

View Full Version : RC-4 wiring

stuzl873213
27-07-2017, 01:34 AM
Is this the generic wiring I need for the RC-4

Simon Barden
27-07-2017, 02:38 AM
Are you using the standard kit parts, or have you bought your own? The standard 3-way switch that comes with the kit will need to be replaced to wire it that way. You'll need a Switchcraft (or similar) blade type to do this, probably a right-angled version like this as you may not have the depth for a straight version.

You'll need to spread the contacts out to avoid short circuits (and heat-shrink insulation to cover them up is a good idea here).

The Ric way of wiring a tone control is different to almost everyone else's way (the pot is normally used as a variable resistor, not a potential divider). Obviously it works, and will give a more Ric-like response.

Apart from that, the Ric wiring diagram is that bit different from the 'standard' way of wiring up two volume and two tone pots with a 3-way switch, because each pickup's output is connected to its volume control after the switch instead of before it. I'd imagine this is to accommodate twin output jacks or a Stereo output jack if the bass has the Ric-O-Sound stereo arrangement, which is easily accomplished by not connecting the two volume pot outputs together.

Also I'd assume that the kit pots are all 250k, whilst the Ric diagram has 500k pots for the tone controls, which will give a brighter overall sound.

Obviously the kit doesn't use Ric style pickups, so I don't know quite how the JB and mini-humbucker will sound with the exact Ric arrangement. The 500k tone pot will give the JB bridge pickup a brighter sound than in a true Jazz bass arrangement, whilst the 250k volume pot will give the neck humbucker a duller sound than expected.

It's quite possible to use 500k volume and tone pots for the neck mini-humbucker to give it a bit more Ric-style brightness, and 250k pots for the bridge single coil volume and tone - or even 250k volume and 500k tone to add in a bit more treble than normal - which you can tame by knocking the bridge tone control back a touch.

Alternatively if you just want to use all the kit parts, then use this wiring diagram. http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/PBG-RC-4_2014.pdf

(Actually looking at that diagram, it looks like the kit pots are all 500k. If so, you are guaranteed brightness from all the pickups).

wazkelly
27-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Hi mate, here is the PBG wiring guide for RC4.... http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/PBG-RC-4_2014.pdf

As Simon said this kit is not the same as original Riccy and it may be best to follow above link.

Cheers, Waz

stuzl873213
28-07-2017, 01:38 AM
Pots are 500k in kit.

Unused i/p is not grounded, just floats

Will initially use the pit cct and see what it sounds like.