PDA

View Full Version : Dave Gilmour's Black Strat

wazkelly
26-07-2017, 06:33 PM
http://youtu.be/TVjFJFEQ_OU

Enjoy.....

wazkelly
26-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Can never tire of seeing or hearing him do Comfortably Numb.

dave.king1
26-07-2017, 07:39 PM
There was a great interview with Phil Taylor about all of Gilmours kit in a guitar mag a couple of years ago, the real Blackie has been to hell and back.

You can see early on in the vid where the body has been restored ( badly ) where the Floyd Rose was.

Loved his playing since I saw him in the early 70s on the first PF tour of Oz, seem to remember a lot of funny smelling smoke in the air that day, outdoor daytime concert so no light show

wazkelly
26-07-2017, 07:43 PM
I missed them in 1988 as we had bought tickets to Expo 88 up here in Brissie and couldn't afford both. A workmate went and it was an epic concert, supposedly one of their best tours even though Roger was absent.

Simon Barden
26-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Here's my Fender CS David Gilmour NOS Black Strat, complete with look-alike strap. It really is a very nice guitar. 50th Birthday present back in 2000 from my wife, who really is a very nice wife.

wazkelly
26-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Plenty of guitar envy happening now.

DrNomis_44
18-10-2017, 07:44 AM
Such an iconic instrument, I bet that if the real blackie could talk it would have some epic stories to tell, since buying myself a Fender USA Strat for my 48th birthday this year, I've had a renewed appreciation Strats, I can see why they are one of the most popular models of guitars available, they are literally a guitar that you can just pick up and play and they don't put any obstacles in front of you or your playing, they have this habit of inspiring you to play better.

DrNomis_44
18-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Here's my Fender CS David Gilmour NOS Black Strat, complete with look-alike strap. It really is a very nice guitar. 50th Birthday present back in 2000 from my wife, who really is a very nice wife.

Certainly looks like a really nice guitar, I bet it plays really good too.

Marcel
18-10-2017, 10:55 AM
I missed them in 1988 as we had bought tickets to Expo 88 up here in Brissie and couldn't afford both. A workmate went and it was an epic concert, supposedly one of their best tours even though Roger was absent.

I saw the 2nd show in Brisbane in '88. Just as the show started my buxom Red headed partner of the time and I were the last to sit down 4 rows back from right in front of David. He smiled at us all night.... Weird aroma in the Entertainment centre not withstanding it was an Awesome show, and the best 'show' I've ever seen ...

Later, the next day, the band came to my workplace at Expo 88 to see the Expo Laser setup. Thoughts and ideas were exchanged between the band and the Expo 88 Laser group. Expo 88 had a nightly 20min Laser and fireworks show at the River Stage.

FYI - The Expo lasers were the largest in regular 'Entertainment' use at the time. The Red laser was 5W, the Green was 3W ... most laser shows at the time were 0.5W or less, PF used 1W lasers.... Both the Red and the Green Expo units were tube based lasers that each required 3 phase power and a 1" cold water mains pressure connection and a drain for cooling, and the laser light was intense enough that it could easily burn through clothing or light a cigarette.

pablopepper
18-10-2017, 11:03 AM
I remember the laser show from Expo, blew my tiny little mind (I was 10 years old). These days I operate a 150 watt laser cutter that can cut 40mm thick acrylic, and that's considered a lower powered unit lol.

DrNomis_44
18-10-2017, 11:18 AM
I've seen a video on youtube about a Laser that is capable of putting out 500 Terawatts of coherent light energy...yikes!!!

Just did a quick search and found it, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuH500GFrcc

And if a 500 Terawatt Laser isn't powerful enough for you, how about a Laser capable of producing a 2-Petawatt pulse?, that's 2000 Trillion watts of coherent light energy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP25evjwLrU

wazkelly
18-10-2017, 12:20 PM
I saw the 2nd show in Brisbane in '88. Just as the show started my buxom Red headed partner of the time and I were the last to sit down 4 rows back from right in front of David. He smiled at us all night.... Weird aroma in the Entertainment centre not withstanding it was an Awesome show, and the best 'show' I've ever seen ...

Later, the next day, the band came to my workplace at Expo 88 to see the Expo Laser setup. Thoughts and ideas were exchanged between the band and the Expo 88 Laser group. Expo 88 had a nightly 20min Laser and fireworks show at the River Stage.

FYI - The Expo lasers were the largest in regular 'Entertainment' use at the time. The Red laser was 5W, the Green was 3W ... most laser shows at the time were 0.5W or less, PF used 1W lasers.... Both the Red and the Green Expo units were tube based lasers that each required 3 phase power and a 1" cold water mains pressure connection and a drain for cooling, and the laser light was intense enough that it could easily burn through clothing or light a cigarette.

Awesome story Marcel.

Sounds like you have a very interesting industry based past?