PDA

View Full Version : Dan Patlansky on optimum set up for a ST guitar...

Fretworn
06-07-2017, 10:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAe1vatPpzA

Really dig the sound he's getting in this video.

Andy40
06-07-2017, 04:26 PM
I love this vid fretty. you made me watch it again!

king casey
06-07-2017, 07:17 PM
That Jimi Hendrix certainly left an indelible mark on history

cheers Mark.

wokkaboy
06-07-2017, 07:28 PM
have to agree Mark, Jimi is my #1 guitar idol.

Awesome video Fretty, started it, I'll watch the rest later. Some very sweet strat tones

wazkelly
06-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Great video Fretty.

DrNomis_44
07-07-2017, 01:15 AM
As it just so happens, I'm a big fan of Jimi Hendrix's music too, he's right at the top of my list of guitar heroes, I would love to learn how to play guitar in his style, but I would also love to develop my own personal style too.

Here's a tip, do a search on youtube for the Randy Hansen Band, he's probably the closest anyone has ever come to not only looking like Jimi Hendrix, but also sounding like him and playing like him too.

I have to admit that I really like the sound of a Stratocaster that's played well, the guy in the video is right about a Stratocaster being like a blank canvas, it's a very open guitar, if you make a mistake while playing one, it's going to let you know that you made a mistake, and it's going to make the mistake very obvious, I know this from personal experience playing my Gold Strat and my old Mexican Strat that I used to have, I think it's the Stratocaster's inherent open-ness that is the reason why a lot of great, and famous guitarists played them, with an LP style guitar it's more lenient when it comes to playing mistakes, it almost makes the mistakes sound like you meant it, as you probably know I'm currently in the process of buying myself a new Fender USA Standard Stratocaster from my local Pro Music shop, I've got it on layby and hopefully I'll have it all paid off in September this year, check out the thread I started about it in the Non Pitbull Gear section if you want to see what it looks like cause I posted a pic of the actual guitar I'm buying.

dave.king1
07-07-2017, 05:51 AM
Jimi was a killer rhythm player and a large part of his style and sound has its foundation in this massively overlooked guitar skill

wazkelly
07-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Jimi was a killer rhythm player and a large part of his style and sound has its foundation in this massively overlooked guitar skill

That comes with being in a 3 piece line up as you can't just solo all the time. Chris Cheney in Living End is another example of great rhythm playing as well as his lead work too.