PDA

View Full Version : DT on a Gibbo

vh2580
04-07-2017, 05:09 PM
As the unofficial "hey mate can you have a look at/fix my guitar" person, at work had a request to help setup a Gibson. (Gibson extreme traditionalists bite tongues now!)
So is a 2010 Gary Moore BFG that used to look like the orange one pictured with a carved ridged top. Owner loves how it plays and gigs but hated the ridged top as used to rub skin raw while playing. At some stage the top was sanded back to the bare wood but never treated, so had lots of sweat marks and dirt in the top. So we decided that it needed the lightest of light sandbacks and he didn't want it discolored by whatever product was being used. So decided to use the Dingo tone clear. Also didn't want the guitar stripped so the DT was perfect.
Did one coat of base and have now done 3 Final coats. The finish is coming up really nicely and another two or so should knock it over.

FrankenWashie
04-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Nice work Tony! I have to admit I am a little bit in love with the DT colourless at the minute

wokkaboy
04-07-2017, 06:31 PM
looks good Tony brings out the grain. So it didn't have a veneer on it like the top left photo ?

Simon Barden
06-07-2017, 12:14 AM
I always thought that pattern was just the wood grain but I assume it must be down to how they applied the finish. I can't see Gibson ever using a veneer on top of a maple cap.

Edit: Just re-read Tony's post and the ridges were carved in. How strange!

stan
06-07-2017, 02:55 AM
I agree Simon, what a bizarre finish initially

Nice job Tony