PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trying the Tonerider Rocksongs pickups

brokin009
28-06-2017, 06:39 PM
Hi Guys, This is a question about pickups of course but its not for my Pitbull guitar, I have a PRS se and i still have the standard pickups in it. i have used these pickups in my FV-1G as the original/standard pickups that came with the FV-1G were not the best. I have now upgraded the pickups to the entwistle dark star pickups (on the FV-1G) and wow that guitar now sounds amazing, i am over the moon on how that guitar turned out. Anyway i was looking at possibly putting the the tonerider rocksong pickups for both the bridge and neck on the PRS se, but then also was thinking of trying the tonerider Octane Alnico 8 for the bridge pick up and then run the rocksong the neck. The question is do you think it is worth changing to these pick ups over my standard PRS pick ups? The standard pickups are decent on the PRS, just wasn't sure if it is worth going to the tonerider pickups.
Also should i go the Zebra rocksong pick ups or stick with the black? thoughts?
thank you again

wokkaboy
28-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Hey Brokin, I'd think the PRS pickups should sound pretty good. If you have a multimeter check the resistance of the PRS pups and compare the figure to the rocksongs. Zebra or all black is up to you, depends on the colours of the PRS and your preference.
I am keen to try an Octane in the bridge. I assume you will be building another PBG kit so why don't you save up for the kit and purchase the Octane bridge and rocksong neck pup ?
Are the darkstars have more grunt than the PRS pups on the same amp settings ?

There are other factors that will change the volume as in string height to the pups and gauge of the strings and the overall setup of the guitar.

brokin009
28-06-2017, 07:00 PM
yeah thanks wokkaboy. yeah the darkstar pickups did make a difference they were louder and clearer and definately had more grunt. there is a pic of the prs above, the pickups surround is the creamy colour so yeah wasnt sure what would look good.
the prs is a thicker heavier body, alot heavier than the V.
im kind of swaying to just get the pickups but now just deciding on which ones.