PDA

View Full Version : JB-5MF Fretless Bass. Sanding the fretboard.

RedDirtBassist
21-06-2017, 12:00 PM
I have just started my first build of a fretless bass and would like to have input on what attention needs to be paid to sanding and finishing the fretboard. Is it necessary to do much more to the fretboard other than finish sanding?

wokkaboy
21-06-2017, 12:05 PM
G'day Red Dirt Bassist (love the username) welcome to the forum. After you have sanded the fingerboard you need to apply 1 or 2 coats of thin super glue to protect it from the string abuse. Mask the sides of the fingerboard so glue doesn't touch the sides. Let each coat cure overnight and then a light sand with 800/1200 grit wet and dry should level the glue nicely. Also order a set of flatwound strings for a fretless bass. Round wounds will chew your fretboard up

RedDirtBassist
13-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info wokkaboy. Just the sort of tip I am looking for. I have several sets of flat wounds amongst my collection of spares for my existing flock of "weapons of choice" and will be experimenting to find the sound I want hopefully in about two weeks from now.

wokkaboy
13-07-2017, 11:59 AM
no worries RDB, don't rush the build just for the sake of playing it. Have you got any progress pics ? We all love pictures in build diaries !