PDA

View Full Version : Backbow on my neck.

PeMe
17-06-2017, 02:07 AM
Hi!
Just opened my first kit guitar from Pitbull and i must say m kinda pleased with the quallity of the wood and the hardware BUT as i sight down the neck i found that the neck has a kinda big backbow build into it......as i put my straightedge along the neck and push it down between the nut and the first fret there is about 1-2mm gap at the end of the neck, starting between the 10th and 11th fret.
Is there a way to fix this???

//
Peter

stan
17-06-2017, 05:27 AM
welcome Peter
Simple truss rod adjustment - needs to be loosened. needs to turn anti clockwise, looking from the nut end towards the bridge end.
Use a small amount of adjustment - start with a quarter turn. When you think it is right, leave it for a day then recheck - this gives the neck time to relax and settle. If you've over done it, simply tighten by adjusting the other way.

In reality you need a straight edge with notches that go over the frets - that way you are checking the actual fretboard - not just the frets on top... However the method above gets you in the ballpark.

For the best playability and to eliminate fret buzz - when the guitar is strung - capo on first fret, finger fret the last - and you should have about 1-2 mm gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 12th fret. Depends on playing style etc. Some say measure at the 17th fret...

PeMe
17-06-2017, 05:40 AM
Ive loosened the trussrod trying to fix this but it didnt help snd ive checked with a straightedge with notches. Maybe the neck will settle it straight over night.

stan
17-06-2017, 05:54 AM
try turning it further , turn it until you get adjustment - if it gets too tight or loose then stop

wokkaboy
17-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Hey PeMe, wait till the guitar is built and strings are on tensioning the neck and the neck will settle then you can make final truss rod adjustments. What kit are you building ?

PeMe
17-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Im building the 12-string tele, so hopefully the tension of the strings will fix some of the backbow. but the backbow is so big, when i put my straightedge (ive notched one side of a 50cm piece of machincrafted metal) on the neck and put it flush at the nut there is a 3mm gap at "the end of the neck" (after the 21th fret) and a 1 mm gap between the 12th and 13th fret.
You guys think that the tension will straighten all of that?

Dikkybee007
23-06-2017, 09:50 PM
I normally adjust the truss rod so when I use my notched straight edge the fingerboard is dead flat, or as close as I can get it, so I can level the frets. I have had one neck that I could not get straight so I removed the frets and then sanded the fingerboard level and replaced the frets. Once I level the frets and put the strings on it normally bends the neck to give the correct relief. I know you would get more tension if it is a 12 string but I don't think you would remove that amount of bend but I could be wrong. I normally set mine so when I put a capo between the nut and first fret and press the string down on the last fret that there is about 5 to 10 thou clearance but if you cant get it flat to begin with I don't know how you are going to get the frets flat. If you cant get the frets flat then you have to have a higher action so you don't get buzz. My personal preference is to have the neck as straight as possible so I can set my strings as low as possible but that is my preference as I like as low as possible action on all my guitars.

PeMe
27-06-2017, 10:56 PM
ive finally finished the guitar and have set it up.
The string tension did get the neck flat, actually its dead flat :)
No string buzz and the string height is as low as i need it to be for me to be able to play it as i prefer :)
My first guitar from pitbull and i must ay it was a really enjoyable ride to get it together and playable.

Thax for the feedback guys!

FrankenWashie
28-06-2017, 06:05 AM
ive finally finished the guitar and have set it up.
The string tension did get the neck flat, actually its dead flat :)
No string buzz and the string height is as low as i need it to be for me to be able to play it as i prefer :)
My first guitar from pitbull and i must ay it was a really enjoyable ride to get it together and playable.

Thax for the feedback guys!

Did you have a Build diary going PeMe? Would be good to see the beastie!

PeMe
29-06-2017, 12:18 AM
I didnt do no build diary but i have this pic of the end result....;)

next up will be a doubleneck SG (i think)

:)

FrankenWashie
29-06-2017, 12:24 AM
That's wonderful mate, I've got a 12 string fascination at the moment but I'm sort of chocka on current projects.

The SG double sounds like a great next build!

Fretworn
29-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Very nice. I love my 12 string. I really like the headstock on yours.

PeMe
29-06-2017, 10:46 PM
thax guys :)
Personally i think the headstock is a lil to big, but as the holes was predrilled i couldnt do anything about it.
But im pretty pleased with the shape of it.

Simon Barden
30-06-2017, 08:27 PM
Great looking guitar, PeMe. Nice body colour. Is it neck heavy at all?

Ricardo
03-07-2017, 03:28 PM
Interesting, I have the same kit and am about to start building, noticed the same problem with mine.
I've backed the truss rod right off and it still bends back, guess i will wait and see how it looks with strings.
Nice looking build PeMe, very similar to the style i am planning, I'm feeling motivated just looking at the photo.

ILRGuitars
03-07-2017, 03:35 PM
So PeMe.....Are you going to enter that beauty into the GOTM?

PeMe
06-07-2017, 10:53 PM
Thax for all the positive response guys!
Lets answer all questions :)
The balance is ok, but the guitar is on the heavier side of the scale.

The backbow i had on mine straighten out under stringtension and when its stringed (with the strings that came along with it) its perfectly straight and the action is all fine at least from what i like....

I will not enter the GOTM as there is a few misstakes on it, maybe you can spot it on the pic abowe, or maybe you can't ;)
But ive learned alot during the build, hopefully my SG-doubleneck will enter, dont know, depends on what finish i can achieve as im planning on a painted one, all black.
never painted something like a guitar before so it will be interessting to see how that will turn out.
Maybe ill do a builddiary....and maybe i could get some hint & tips on painting :)
//PeMe