PDA

View Full Version : Kit Conversion Kits?

elcodyloco
05-06-2017, 02:02 AM
So I saw the Fender VI post in the New Kit Idea forum category, and I thought about a thread I read on the Offset Guitars forum a ways back:

EB-0 to Bass VI (https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52521)

It got me thinking, "can't PBG just make little edits to their SGB-34 kit to make it a bass VI?"

Just replace the bridge holes with a Tune-o-matic bridge, and remove the tuner holes in the headstock so one could drill their own 6 holes for 6 mini bass tuners. Maybe replace the pickups with standard humbuckers, or something?

It'd be minimal effort, and you get a whole new product out of it. And as far as orders, Eastwood guitars did a Bass VI product in their custom project crowdfunding department here (https://eastwoodcustoms.com/discover/). The Bass VI is one of their most well-funded projects lately, and that's because the Bass VI market is vast, but typically silent until something big comes along, like the Squier Bass VI and the Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI models from 2013. Just something to consider, I suppose.

What are your thoughts on an SG Bass VI?

stan
05-06-2017, 05:21 AM
changing kits depends on numbers to make it cost effective. However, your request isn't complicated and if you wanted such a kit shoot an email to Adam for a custom order.

king casey
05-06-2017, 06:02 AM
Perhaps having the tuner holes pre-drilled could be offered as an 'optional extra'?

cheers, Mark.

Zandit75
05-06-2017, 09:34 AM
It would probably be easier to just do a custom build version of the SGB-34.
Request it to have a blank headstock paddle, and no bridge holes drilled so you can use what ever bridge you want.
It will add to the delivery time, but should be workable.

elcodyloco
05-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Maybe it'd be easier for this build specifically, but kit alterations would be a fun idea if it could be done post-production after kits arrive at PBG HQ. Kind of like the ibdividual necks sold on the site, how you can pay an upcharge to have them in the kit instead, or something.. except more kit specific. I dunno, I'm just spitballing. Once I get my custom RC-4 kit in the mail maybe I'll start customizing the SGB-34 for my next build.

...but I want to make an RD bass too... and a 5 string Jazz... and a hollow body bass... and one of the new SG juniors... ugh. Too many projects on my wish list. Someone else do one while I'm working on my RC-4!

Dedman
05-06-2017, 04:31 PM
hahahhaa elcody. Make a list, number them, start at the top and work on down LOL. I think I'm about 1/2 way through my list.

andrewdosborne
05-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Classic elcody. So many kits I also still need to build.....

FrankenWashie
05-06-2017, 07:22 PM

Careful on that line of thought...that way lies madness...

stan
06-06-2017, 06:33 AM
you know what they say - once you build one kit... you want to build them all!

FrankenWashie
06-06-2017, 07:55 AM
you know what they say - once you build one kit... you want to build them all!

Yeah, i just didn't realise it meant build them all at once. I really should priortise builds.

Fretworn
06-06-2017, 11:29 AM

And wonder who has the record for most types of Pitbull kits completed. My guess would be Wokka, but he has made quite a few STs so maybe someone like Dedman who hasn't built the same type twice could compete......