PDA

View Full Version : July GOTM

Brendan
02-06-2017, 07:43 PM
July GOTM

Guitar of the month Comp time again! While for this there are no fortunes (just fame - or at least within the BYOGuitar fraternity) there's an opportunity for fame for the best guitar completed in June 2017.

July Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in June 2017)

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars July 2017 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) 30 June 2017

One guitar/bass per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for May closes 30 June 2017.

The sorts of things we judge on include:
· How well has the body and neck been prepared
· Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
· How well has the finish been applied
· How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
· Does it have the "Wow Factor"
· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

I'm a personal fan of demos - no matter how simple - everyone likes to hear how an axe has turned out!

Also worth thinking - we've got a range of judges and who knows what they'll like (or not), so don't be afraid to enter your guitar - no matter whether you think it's good enough to win or not - on the day, you may get a couple to swing your way!

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest judge the following month!

Brendan
11-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Righto - 1/3 of the way through the month and first entry is up!

Logan McIvor has put this IB-6L.

In his words:
I tried looking for years to find an affordable lefty six-string bass, but couldn't.
When I came across Pit Bull Guitars it was an answer to a prayer.
The kit only took a month to build and was finished on June 8.
The timber is finished with linseed oil and gloss. The black hardware really suits the woodwork.
The only tricky thing was soldering the electronics left-handed from the right-handed diagram.
The guitar works perfectly and tonight I even wrote a song on it.

FrankenWashie
11-06-2017, 09:38 PM
B***dy Nice Work Mate! Wow that spalt front is killer! The first of these i recall on the GOTM and a ripper first off the blocks to boot.
Great job, how does it crank?

wokkaboy
11-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Nice looking build Logan. Veneer looks tasty. How does it sound and play?

Ricardo
25-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Slow month for finished builds so might as well jump in.

This is my LPM-1 kit I got some time ago on the super discount as the first owner had sanded right through the flame maple cap and returned it to PBG for a replacement.
Had to go for solid colour to cover all the timbermate but I am very happy with the end result.
It uses all standard parts except for the pickup surrounds, knobs, and the pickguard and trussrod cover which I shaped myself out of an old tele pickguard.
I modified it to a single volume and tone control and shifted the pickup switch down to the other controls to try and make it look clean and simple. Painted it with dupli-colour automotive spray cans (including the back control cover) then hand scraped the bindings before clear coating. The colour is Tungsten pearl.
Left off the strap buttons as I generally play sitting down so don't need them.
No logo on the headstock yet as I usually wait a while before deciding on a name, got to let it speak to me you know?

FrankenWashie
25-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Oh Ricardo, that is super clean and I love that colour! Must feel immensely pleasing to have salvaged something and got it looking this good, Well done mate.

king casey
25-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Slow month for finished builds so might as well jump in.

Clean and simple excellent.
I like what you did with the pickguard. I wonder with all the curves going on that Gibson always slapped on a straight edged afterthought.

cheers, Mark.

andrewdosborne
25-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Nice LP build Ricardo and as FW has mentioned the colour is awesome!

Rossc0
25-06-2017, 01:05 PM
May as well Glue marks an all. First attempt. LP1-SS
Upgrades: Bone Nut, Grovers, Gotoh pots and switches, Babzic bridge, DiMarzio SuperDistortion bridge, PAF36th Anniversary neck. DingoTone Coolangatta Gold Front, Tru-oil back.

Kick
25-06-2017, 06:11 PM
@Ricardo: I like what you have done with the shapes of the scratchplate, TRC and headstock. It gives it a retro look and it combines wonderful with that color. Very well done!

@RosscO: That spalt is stunning! I love it!

wazkelly
25-06-2017, 06:35 PM
@ Ricardo: nice clean lines with a customised scratch plate to set things off.

@ RosscO: What glue marks? Can't see any in those shots. On the back is that ply wood used for control covers instead of the plastic ones? Overall looks good.

Rossc0
25-06-2017, 06:46 PM
@ RosscO: What glue marks? Can't see any in those shots. On the back is that ply wood used for control covers instead of the plastic ones? Overall looks good.[/QUOTE]

Yes, just some 3mm ply, didn't stain, just some runny timbermate and tru-oil. Think I'll sand back and Stain, see if I can get the colour to match better (sometime).

Andy40
29-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Time to flesh out this GOTM with one more!

Heres a link to my build diary:- http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6671

I think this is the first Pitbull STA-1HT!

I've ironed out all of the kinks and she plays like a dream. The Hardtail gives a rich warm bodied sound compared to a trem strat.

Kit: Pitbull STA-1HT
Tuners: Grover Mini Locking Rotomatics (kit upgrade)
Pickguard: All parts black 3 ply
Knobs etc: All parts parchment
Pick ups: Tonerider Classic Blues
Body Stain: Ebony Timbermate grain fill with Dingotone Custom Colour - Rosewood
Neck Stain: Dingotone clear neck finish
Body and Neck finish: Tru oil

Andy40
29-06-2017, 05:50 PM

Rossc0
29-06-2017, 06:02 PM
Fantastic looking strat. Colours amazing.

wokkaboy
29-06-2017, 06:18 PM
awesome work as always Andy, another stunning build, well done. Looks like a good month as this is only the 4th entry and last day tomorrow !

I just seen the other 2 entries since I last looked, well done Ricardo and Rossco both top looking builds

wazkelly
29-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Looking good Andy.

FrankenWashie
29-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Even with only 4 builds i still wouldn't want to be judging. Rossc0's LP is SWEEEEEEET but Andy's ST is a Peach. Logan'S IB is killer and i'm still gobsmacked with Ricardo's beautifully clean and elegant LP salvation job. Tough call all round!

Drummerdude
30-06-2017, 12:21 AM
Ok I'm not expecting much but I just finished my first kit and thought what the heck.. so here you go..

Kit- TL1-Q
Tuners- wilkinson quick locks
Pickups- guitarfetish humbucker and hot tele bridge
Pickguard- white pearloid
Bridge- guitar fetish individual saddle tele string thru
Brass compensated nut bought from online
Upgraded pots and switch with quick plug from guitar fetish
Abalone inlaid knobs from GUitar Fetish
Custom water slide decal from Ekraft in Argentina
Keada water analine dyes
General Finishes water based polyurethane.
Complete fret levels and finish by me.

I think that about covers it.

Drummerdude
30-06-2017, 12:22 AM

Drummerdude
30-06-2017, 12:24 AM

JB RETRO
30-06-2017, 05:09 AM
I like it . Classy, great work

stan
30-06-2017, 05:24 AM
oh man, they are all awesome, my head hurts, another tough month to judge....

wokkaboy
30-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Hey Drummerdude that's a stunning tele, excellent job on the upgrades and finish. Wow this has turned into a really tough month with only 5 entries (so far).
How does it play and sound ?

Rossc0
30-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Drummerdude: Winner in my book, the green finish is spectacular.

Drummerdude
30-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Thanks Wokka it set up pretty good still need to tweet the intonation. Sounds pretty good imo, but I am not a guitar player. I am not too sure on the tone pot doesn't seem like it makes enough change. I am just running it thru a small mixer and powered speaker that I use to practice my bass with headphones. I am taking it a gig tomorrow and gonna have the guitar player check it out with his Fender amp.

Thanks Rossco but that splated lp is pretty awesome and the strat finish top notch and the others tough competition. I am just happy to have it done. Now to finish my two basses.

wokkaboy
30-06-2017, 11:46 AM
no worries DD sounds good. Maybe you need to change the capacitor value to have more tone variation. See what the guitarist thinks in your band.

Andy40
30-06-2017, 12:31 PM
I wish i gave my guitar a flower now:(

excellent work drummerdude. I don't like green but that i beuwwdiful

FrankenWashie
30-06-2017, 01:14 PM

Superb Finish DD, absolutely first class.

Drummerdude
30-06-2017, 07:18 PM
I know Andy,, you have to treat them like ladies.. they cooperate way more when you give them flowers..:D...
thanks for the kind words everyone.

Brendan
01-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Entries have now closed. We'll announce winners as soon as we can. August Comp to open soon!

Brendan
04-07-2017, 08:59 PM
And to the comments (we love to start here and build anticipation...)

Logan McIvor's IB-6L
Beautiful, clean IB-6. The Linseed Oil really makes the most of that delicious spalt and dark/light grain contrast. The photo of the back is a little too blurry to truly judge, but the colouring is a good match for the top. I like the look without a truss rod cover, but it probably needs a bit of colour/finish in the channels. These basses always look great and this is no exception. Well done.
Classic natural finish on the IB-6 is always a winner. Great spalt patterning, nicely assembled. Lovely looking guitar.
You've made the most of the amazing spalt top on that bass. Great job.
A great looking bass, and a cool lefty one at that. Nicely finished and I presume all stock parts. A clean look that captures the top nicely, and doesnt look over the top. A nice job
A great example of how well a kit can come up straight from the box. Good choice to leave the timber un stained and let the natural beauty show.
The spalted top has so much figure. Well finished bass. No truss rod cover and the photography let you down.
Very interesting spalted maple grainy top and they always look best done natural. Missing the Truss Rod Cover and no logo.

Ricardo's LP1-M
Great rescue with the sand-through and a fantastic colour choice. Not sure about the gold hardware, it clashes a little too much for me, but the pickguard has grown on me. Nice simplified controls and sleek appeal that makes me want to pick it up.
Excellent salvage of a mistreated kit. The colour choice is unique and very appealing. The re-mapped controls draw the eye for a second look. The reshaped pickguard, I'm not so sure about. Solid effort.
Love the mods & the silver finish. I personally can't fault you for the lack of the name on the headstock, as I think it would detract. I'm struggling with the gold hardware, but I'm not sure any other colour would have worked.
A slick LP, and love the colour. You've done some nice detailed things to make it more custom and your own. I love the pickguard shape, it really suits. The whole axe really flows nicely and a nice save with the kit. Good job.
Super simple and clean. The headstock shape just seems to suit the colour scheme, very tasteful and a nice rescue from a damaged kit. Has that vintage feel to it , me likey!
Nicely finished LP but the photo's are too small to see close detail. Custom pickguard and truss rod cover suit the shape.
Subtle changes to the typical LP design work well with customised scratch plate & truss rod cover however no logo. Gold PUP mounting rings were a good choice too.

Rossc0's LP1-SS
A great looking LP with some very tasty upgrades. I love the look with the ply covers for the switch and control cavities, although they appear a little rougher than the rest of the body. The finish on the top suits it so well and does justice to the intricate spalt lines. The Zebras with the cream plastics are a perfect match for the build.
Once again clear on spalt looks awesome. Excellent selection of upgrades on this one make it stand out from the rest. The zebra pickups suit perfectly. Add points for well chosen logos.
Great job emphasising that beautiful spalt. Personally I feel like the chrome parts don't match the rest of the guitar though.
This is a beautiful spalt top, and you've treated is well. Shame about the glue, but the top is so patterned that it hides it a bit. Some great custom upgrades that really add some nice quality touches - it must sound great. Nice headstock personalisation, a nice guitar.
Awesome hardware upgrades on an awesome bit of splaulty goodness! For a first build its fantastic,the timber has really been shown off well, the whole package is well done indeed.
You really made the the most of the lovely spalted veneer. Some nice grain in the mahogany too. Nice upgrades. A well finished axe.
DT Coolangatta Gold was a great choice on this spalted top and headstock as it has enhanced the variation in grain patterns. Love the clean and natural look on the back too plus plenty of tasty upgrades. Good to see an aftermarket Truss Rod Cover, Logo and design on the headstock.

Andy40's STA-1HT
This is just gorgeous. The custom rosewood colour with the timbermate grain pop and deep gloss, wow. The neck looks great with the grain featuring nicely and tasteful logos. A hardtail ST with black and white plastics, Toneriders and Grovers. I want it, and I want it now.
Something about this one really speaks to me. Fantastic colour combo with the dark red body, black pickguard, white plastics and chrome. Hardtail is a big plus in my book. Lush looking guitar.
I love everything about this guitar. All the parts just go together.
This is a stunner and you have to love a hard tailed strat. Simple, clean, effective with some nice upgrades just to make it a bit more special. The finish looks great - it's a cool machine indeed.
In a store full of strats this is the one I'd head for.Great finish and the hardware upgrades suit it perfectly,it oozes class.
Another super Andy build, really nicely finished and tasty colours this axe oozes appeal. Well done.
Another Andy masterpiece done in the same unique DT Rosewood used on his Ash Tele to create a matching pair. Plenty of tasty upgrades and finished to a standard higher than you would expect to find on a store bought guitar.

Drummerdude's TL1-Q
I love the colour and look of this beautiful Tele. Double-bound, string-through, and some nice upgrades - excellent. I'm not entirely sold on the headstock shape, it gives me an I do but I don't sort of feeling. I love the logos and overall look of the build, and the finish looks spectacular. That quilt, oh that quilt wow. Great job.
Dragonburst FTW! What's not to love about this one? Superb colour, super glossy finish, really nice logos and a wide range humbucker in the neck. Kicking goals on all fronts.
Clean finish, great colours. An envy worthy TL style.
Wow what a great burst , looks like the ocean. Lovely finish overall and some nice upgrades. Simple catchy headstock. This is a great looking tele that should sound good too!
Drummerdudes tele oozes swamp water!
Flawless finish,not only in its gloss but the colour and the flame in the top were made for each other.The white pick guard and binding just gives it that lift.Nice hardware upgrades too. If I saw it in a shop it would come home with me."the gators got ya granny...chomp chomp"
Really love this tele the colour and finish is top notch. Super smooth gloss and nice upgrades. For a first build you knocked it out of the park !
Stunning effort for a first build. Nailed the green blue burst on both the front and back which is not so easy to do on Basswood. Love the headstock shape and logos. Lots of nice upgrades too.

Brendan
04-07-2017, 09:05 PM
And to the winner. Well, this month there isn't one.

Yes that's it. Not one, but two! 7 judges this month and two guitars ended up with exactly the same score!

So the winners. I'll get there..
Soon.

Congratulations to Andy40 and DrummerDude! Both have come up with spectacular guitars and the judges have loved them!

If you missed them then here they are:
Andy40's STA-1HT
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20293&d=1495934103&thumb=1

DrummerDude's TL1-Q
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20318&d=1498752476&thumb=1

Congratulations to both of you - worthy winners!

wazkelly
04-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Congratulations Andy & Drummerdude. Both worthy winners and it was very hard splitting them apart.

Top effort from other entrants too in a small field last month.

Dedman
04-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Congrats to you both on the win and to the other entrants.The level of work here inspires keeps us all trying that bit harder

wokkaboy
04-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Congratulations Andy and drummer. I gave you both highest scores and couldn't split them. Well done all other entrants were all top notch builds

andrewdosborne
05-07-2017, 05:11 AM
Well done Andy & DrummerDude, truly inspirational builds and fantastic work all other entrants

JB RETRO
05-07-2017, 05:47 AM
Awesome job to both of you, not to mention the efforts from everyone else. These guitars that are winning now are bordering on factory quality if not matching.

Chuck
05-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Great builds folks. As JB says, amazing quality from everyone. Congrats!

Rossc0
05-07-2017, 08:59 AM
Well done both of you. Must say I agree with the result, both fantastic. Lets see if I can give someone a run for there money with build #2.

Zandit75
05-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Glad to see my tastes line up with the judges! I thought DrummerDude had it in the bag until Andy posted up his hardtail. I couldn't pick between the two!
Well done guys!
Well done also to the other entries, once again the standard keeps getting higher each month!

Drummerdude
05-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Thanks everybody and congrats Andy spectacular finish on that strat.. Rossco you had a winning axe man.. and all the guitars were stunning.. I had a blast and and will be winding down #2,3 in the next few weeks. I am totally addicted to building now.. I may have to get another job to support my habit..

Thanks again for everyone who helped and commented. It is so nice to have people who have a passion and love for this and everyone supporting each other from all over the world..

stan
05-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Well done guys, like Wokka, these were inmpossible to separate.

I think the way quality is increasing that we are going to get more joint winners

FrankenWashie
05-07-2017, 11:48 AM
All great builds, shame we have to have a winner or winners, I'd happily add any of these to my collection. though playing a left handed bass might prove challenging.

Kick
05-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Congrats guys! Great builds :)

billb
05-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Lovely work all concerned!
Very nice :)

wazkelly
05-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Well done both of you. Must say I agree with the result, both fantastic. Lets see if I can give someone a run for there money with build #2.

Way to go RosscO. Tough field to enter with but you would have scored highly too.

Andy40
06-07-2017, 04:19 AM
Wow guys! Thats great. I did not expect to win anything.:o well done drummerdude and the other entrants.

(sorry I've been smashed this week at work and I have't had a lot of time)

Fretworn
06-07-2017, 11:05 AM
Congratulations to both of you guys. Your guitars deserve the love.

phrozin
08-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Andy and drummer well done guys beautiful finish Andy can see you have put some hours in to that strat, excellent shine

Morningmusic
13-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Had to put several coats to get the depth.

Morningmusic
13-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Where do I go to enter?

JB RETRO
14-07-2017, 05:21 AM
Go to the Guitar of the month section in the Forum, Click on the August one and then just add it as a reply. Take note of the picture requirements etc, but I think you have it covered

Brendan
15-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Hey everyone just finished a new build tele.

Morningmusic - I moved this into the GOTM thread so that it will get judged at the end of the month. Best of luck!