PDA

View Full Version : Bright blue stain for flame maple.

jsergeant
01-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Looking to achieve this colour blue on flame maple veneer. Not sure the best way to get in touch with dingobass to see if it can be done with dingotone, figured post here. If anyone has any recommendations either with dingotone or some other stain. Cheers.

http://kieselguitarsbbs.com/userpix/6496_BLUE_GUITAR_1.jpg

ILRGuitars
01-06-2017, 12:53 PM
I used blue dye on my TL-Q1, and will be using inkjet printer ink on my next project. I'm sure someone did an LP in blue like that?

pablopepper
01-06-2017, 01:07 PM
I would hazard against stamp pad/printer ink. My RC-4 was done in stamp pad ink to get the shade of blue I was after. After mostly living in a case for 18 months I have started to notice it fading pretty dramatically. On the maple especially.

ILRGuitars
01-06-2017, 07:08 PM
I used the blue dye from these guys. Interesting about the printer ink Pablo.

http://guitarmakersemporium.com.au/product-category/tools-glues-finishes/

wazkelly
01-06-2017, 07:33 PM
I had great success with using Cyan (Blue) ink jet ink and not experienced any fading some 12 months later.

Steer clear of ink pad ink as it is quite cheap and nasty. There are some blue fountain pen inks out there but most shades seem to be quite dark hence why I went with inkjet ink instead.

stan
02-06-2017, 05:50 AM
I used proper artists ink for a purple LP. It's water based, so I imagine blue art ink watered down (with the obligatory test on scrap) would give you the shade you are after. Also is UV stable and colorfast

jsergeant
02-06-2017, 06:40 AM
Thanks all. Will consider all the options mentioned.

Given the veneer and sanding discouraged, I'm guessing applying a black or dark blue initially and sanding to help grain stand out is probably a bad idea?

Simon Barden
08-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Most people here would recommend wiping off the darker stain after application rather than sanding. Enough should remain in the grain to help make it pop.

wazkelly
08-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Minimal sanding if any at all otherwise you risk uncovering the timber underneath.

Rabbitz
09-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Has the world gone topsy turvy?

Are my eyes deceiving me?

Am I on the wrong forum?

Did someone, on the PBG forum just say "minimal sanding"?

;);):o