PDA

View Full Version : Tips on installing hardware and lining things up?

klegacy
28-05-2017, 08:35 PM
Hey all:

Any tips on installing the bridge on my SH-1 Kit and properly centering it and lining things up would be greatly appreciated. I upgraded to a JCustom FX fixed bridge. I am reluctant to drill or set anything before painting is done. Just center the bridge in the pocket? I have a set of calpers too and was thinking on trying to find the exact center to mount it. Scale length and where to measure from on this little headpiece is a question I have too.

Lots of help here so far ..

Thanks,

dave.king1
29-05-2017, 06:06 AM
I'm not sure if my procedure is either correct or the best but it has worked for me on 4 kits so far.

The neck pocket on my F type kits have had parallel sides so I put strips of low tack masking tape on the body and marked the centre line and then aligned everything up off that including the neck.

nomalegg
02-06-2017, 04:25 AM
Look for a pre-wired pickguard set up, which will be less expensive (than the sum of the parts) and require less attempt to make for set up. In the same way, try to find a finish link (with tremolo arm, horse saddles, dish and prevent, rises and pull, and increasing screws) and receiver set.

stan
02-06-2017, 05:17 AM
do a dry fit with the neck and bridge,
mark a centre line
and ensure by scale length and measurements are correct for it's position.
If all is fine, and it should be , I'd drill the bridge holes.
Just me, but I'd do it before finishing because: You are not risking your finish when you drill, easier to fill/repair/hide if you made a mistake.
Dont forget the hole for the bridge ground, stick some wire through before you finally install the bridge.
Enjoy