PDA

View Full Version : neck angle

Milty
28-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Good evening all,
Im slowly putting together a LP.
Im just about ready to glue the neck. It seems to fit nice and snug, no nasty gaps etc.
How do I know if the angle is correct etc? Should I be concerned or just go ahead and glue in place?
Thanks in advance!!
Milty

Simon Barden
02-06-2017, 08:51 PM
The easy way to check the neck angle is first to roughly locate the bridge in position. If you haven't inserted the bridge bushes yet, and maybe don't want to at this stage, then just wrap some masking tape around the bridge posts until they fit in reasonably securely, then put the bridge on top. Some people have used PVC tube for this as well. All the tape/tube needs to do is hold the posts in place in a vertical position so you can set the bridge up on them and adjust the bridge height.

Now run a long straight edge along the neck, (adjust the truss rod so the neck is flat at this point) and the bottom of the edge should ideally be just touching or just above the bridge at its lowest height setting. The bridge will have to be raised a bit from a 'just touching' arrangement once the strings are on to clear the frets, but you don't want the bottom of the edge to be below the bridge with the bridge as low as it can go (in which case the neck angle needs to be increased) or more than say 10mm above the bridge at its lowest setting (in which case the neck angle needs to be increased). It's OK to raise the bridge height a bit, but you don't want to overdo it, as it can make the bridge unstable (tuning issues) and the pickups need to be raised up a lot to get near the strings.

If in doubt, do the set-up above and take some pictures from the side with the straight-edge in place so that we can see the relative heights.

Andy40
03-06-2017, 04:25 AM
Hi Milty, the neck angle on my LP1-SS looks like this
I should say that i did almost no modifications to the neck heel or neck pocket. Its pretty much PBG standard

Milty
23-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Thanks Ive been away from here for a while sorry for the late reply