PDA

View Full Version : GR-1SF Wiring questiins

Crash Fistfite
26-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Hello ladies and gentlemen! Hope all is well with all of you.

So, as shown in my previous posts, I have built and customised a ton of guitars over the years, but this is my first Hollowbody, and first actual pitbull project. That being said, I have a couple of wiring questions that are probably REALLY dumb.

1. When looking at the wiring diagrams that are provided on the pitbull website, should I imagine everything upside down? For example, when determining which wire gets soldered to which terminal, in the wiring diagrams, am I theoretically looking at the bottoms of the pots?

2. Capacitors-the kit comes with 2, but the provided wiring diagram only shows 1 (on the master tone pot, obviously) however, in the diagram provided by another customer in the gr-1sf sticky in this section, shows the 2 capacitors attached to one another. Is this the correct application for the 2 capacitors? What would the pros and cons be of using both, vs 1?

3. Fishing wire. Last, but not least, what method is best used for fishing the wires thru the body cavity, getting the pots through the pre-drilled holes, etc without having to tug the wires too hard and rish something coming loose? Any suggestions would be appreciated! I would hate to spend so much time getting everything all wired up, then having to pull everything out to troubleshoot problems once I get everything in place in the body.

Thanks in advance folks, advice would be much appreciated.

PS- Here are a few pics of my build so far.

Cheers,
Crash

FrankenWashie
26-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Hey Crash, does that need a home? Super work there man, great baby blue and shine for days. Top notch job Reverend!

WeirdBits
26-05-2017, 10:55 AM
Yes, in the PBG GR-1SF diagram (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/PBG-GR1-SF.pdf) you're looking at the back of the pots... even though the position of all the parts are as from the front. If that makes sense.

The kit typically has two 0.047uF caps supplied. If you want a darker tone control then just use one cap. However, if you want a less dark tone then you can wire the two caps in series (like in the diagram) which givs you a nett value of 0.0235uF, which is more what you see with normal humbuckers etc. It's just a way to use the stock caps to get both options.

If you're going to upgrade the caps, with Orange Drops etc, I'd just go with a single 0.022uF (depending on how you use the tone control).

Regarding the installation of the wiring etc, the tubing method (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1826) works well.

Dedman
26-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Lordy lordy lordy! Gorgeous paint work Crash!

I've tied cotton twine to the pots and switch and pulled them through that way, because despite having a gazillion fish tanks at one point I seem to have no tubing anywhere!

Fretworn
26-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Can't wait to see that guitar finished.

Crash Fistfite
26-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Holy sh##! Brilliant idea with the tubing. I'll be shopping for some tomorrow (it's currently around 1am here in my part of the states) where would one find some tubing like that? Hardware store? Pet Supply Store? If it's a hardware store item, which area would i look in? What is the actual intended use for that type of tubing? I tried fishing the controls through with twine, but by the time I got it affixed to the pots, it was too fat to come through the holes! It was pretty frustrating, and I nay have uttered a rude word or 30!

Thanks for the compliments on the finish guys. It was actually some leftover paint that my cousin had from painting the floor pans in a '56 Chevrolet Belair that he's restoring. I tinted it with a little bit of green to darken it the slightest bit and I was super pleased with how it came out.

I also found the supplied wiring to be a bit short, so I went today and bought 25ft (yes, our silly imperial meaduring units) of clack and 25ft of white 16awg wire, and I'm going to rewire the whole thing tomorrow and clean it up a bit...and if someone can give me an idea of where to shop for said tubing, my wiring whould be done tomorrow and I can set and glue the neck tomorrow night!

As always, thanks for the help, fellas!

WeirdBits
26-05-2017, 04:48 PM
I've always got that type of PVC tubing from large chain hardware stores, but it depends what's available in your area.

dave.king1
26-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Most big chain hardware should carry the tubing or you could also try hobby shops for fuel tubing or aquariums for airline tubing

Simon Barden
26-05-2017, 09:50 PM
Super looking paint job, Crash.

25ft lengths of wire? Sounds like an Allparts purchase, as I recently bought the same quantities of the same wire.

Other sources of tubing (if you can wait a few days for delivery) is eBay or Amazon. The PVC tubing doesn't expand much, maybe only 1mm maximum, so it needs to be just smaller than the pot shaft diameter. You can heat it to make it more pliable, but it then becomes harder to push on. So you might want to consider searching for latex surgical tubing, which comes in different sizes, but is more flexible and stretchier than PVC. It's also what's often used as mounting springs on Fender pickups.

Crash Fistfite
27-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to go to Lowe's (our home improvement/hardware mega-store) tomorrow with one of the pots in my picket and see what I can find!

As far as the wire, it actually came from home depot (another home improvement mega-store, and was 4 bucks for a 25 foot roll!

Crash Fistfite
21-06-2017, 10:26 AM
A couple of you asked to see this guitar when I got it finished. I finished it up tonight. There are more photos of it over in the photo gallery section
http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag446/jshlnrd/20170620_203207_zps9rjead4o.jpg (http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/jshlnrd/media/20170620_203207_zps9rjead4o.jpg.html)

wokkaboy
21-06-2017, 10:47 AM
nice looking build Crash you nailed the paint and the headstock logo. How does it sound and play ?

Fretworn
21-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Looks great Crash. Great colour.

Dedman
21-06-2017, 12:37 PM
BAM! nailed it!

JB RETRO
21-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Sweet, love your work.

chrissyinbkk
21-06-2017, 04:53 PM
That looks so cool man