PDA

View Full Version : Glove problems...

mjg
14-05-2017, 02:57 PM
Wasn't sure whether to post this in the OHS section, or the pets section.

I put my gloves on the other day to do some sanding, and something wasn't right. Either my left glove had shrunk, or my hand was bigger. Very odd.

Then, the inside of my glove started moving.

I let out a very manly yell, which sounded nothing like a little kid crying for his mum. Honest. :eek:

Turns out that a Huntsman decided my glove was a nice place for a nap. It was a little bit miffed that I woke it up I guess.

http://graybloomfield.com/guitar/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/IMG_0886.jpg

Andy40
14-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Looks like you manscreamed away that huntsman!:cool:

D.K
14-05-2017, 04:14 PM
You wouldn;t be the first of us to yell at a spider, it's a rage issue for sure.

FrankenWashie
14-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Having been in this very situation, I can categorically confirm that your Manly and robust Viking like battle cry shocked the miscreant Arachnid into submission. He shall now warn all his friends and other insects of the peril to insect kind that you represent due solely to the power of your Full throated and deeply masculine War Oaths. Well done sir!

mjg
14-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Yep, that is exactly what happened.

FrankenWashie
14-05-2017, 05:39 PM
Being of Polynesian descent myself, mine was more of an impromptu Haka, though I'm sure the Huntsman got the message.

DrNomis_44
20-05-2017, 04:30 AM
Geez, you're pretty lucky mjg, Huntsman Spiders are supposed to be venomous although they're not regarded as being dangerous to healthy humans, here's a Wikipedia page I just found about Huntsman Spiders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider

corsair
20-05-2017, 05:38 AM
Huntsmen are cool; non aggressive and active spider hunters. When we first moved back to Australia we were put up in an apartment block on the 5th floor. The terrified shriek from the bathroom told me something was amiss one day and there, on the wall of the shower, was an enormous huntsman.... 5 bloody floors up with no apparent access to the shower stall?!
I manfully availed myself of a Chinese takeaway container and trapped said spider in it, and transferred it to the outside of the building; this thing was big enough to fill the container with little free space but was quite docile and amenable to being moved along!

I have no problem with spiders..... as long as I can see them! It's the sneaky buggers who hide and then jump out at you which make one emit manly noises of disapproval...

Simon Barden
20-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Huntsmen can bite if trapped or defending their eggs, and it might make you feel a bit strange for a while, but they generally will run away rather than fight. Effects from a bite will be worse for small children, elderly or sick people, so you can't dismiss them entirely. But the important thing is that their venom isn't necrotising (kills the flesh).

mjg
20-05-2017, 06:32 PM
I've had a huntsman run up my leg very agressively before, when I uncovered it under a rock while gardening. It's pretty funny as the first reaction is to leap about shouting all sorts of things, before the brain kicks in and let's you know that it was a spider.

I have been bitten by something before (never worked out what) that progressed from itching lump on my leg, to full on swollen face, legs, feet, arms and hands, skin burning bright red, intense itching, added a few kilos of fluid to my weight within 24 hrs, heart rate up around 120 while at rest... scary stuff. They put me on steroids etc, and it went away after about 4 days. Not a fun experience, and no idea what bit me.

After the recent huntsman experience, I'm checking inside my gloves before putting them on now. :rolleyes:

Simon Barden
20-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Could have been a huntsman bite, especially if you had an allergic reaction to the venom. But then a lot of spider bites will have a similar effect.

Dedman
20-05-2017, 07:07 PM
I tend to keep gloves and work boots in plastic bags if stored in the shed , we get a few red backs and white tails around here, I've seen the effect of a white tail bite. Not pretty

Kick
20-05-2017, 10:47 PM
Reading this gives me the shivers.... I know most spiders are harmless but there's something about them that I don't like.

Now I'm thinking of it, why for crying out loud am I building a Red Widow? Must have been those beers moments before I hit Enter on my keyboard and placed the order from TPG...

Dedman
20-05-2017, 11:22 PM
LOL, too late Kick, it's already bitten you...I bet you build another kit soon :D

Rabbitz
21-05-2017, 11:04 AM
The bite I received from a huntsman was very painful but no other symptoms. It was a very blunt pain, a bit like a puncture wound.

It didn't hurt anywhere near as much as the redback bites I've had. Sharp, almost exquisite pain that starts to overwhelm your thinking. Luckily both times, she didn't invenomate - just warning nips.

Dikkybee007
03-06-2017, 03:38 PM
I use the plastic zip bags that you can seal and I use them for all my different gloves including my welding gloves. I saw on a gardening show that you do the drop and stomp. Drop the gloves on the ground and stomp the crap out of them. Anything that is sleeping inside wished they hadn't and I still do it sometimes to gloves that are in the bags. Just in case and its fun and when you explain to other people who ask why you are doing it you can see they have a think about it the next time they put their gloves on. I also put my dust masks and ear muffs in bags as well cause if it hurts when they bite your finger imagine how it hurts to inhale it and it bites inside or if it gets into your ear or nose and makes it its new home.