PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' for a lefty who wants a reverse headstock deal.

Andy40
14-05-2017, 07:10 AM
Okay just putting it out there.

I really want an ST-1 with a reverse headstock. I don't really want to custom order and wait till August.

If you are a lefty and like strats maybe we can help each other.:o

I am thinkin' we go halves in a left handed ST-1L and a right handed ST-1 and get the guys at pitbull to swap the necks over.

Then we both get a reverse headstock!

Wokks, if this isn't going to work because of the heel cut speak now!

If you are interested PM me.....no pressure Stan....

If there's no interest, thats okay too...it was just an idea.

king casey
14-05-2017, 07:36 AM
I'm only a fence-sitter at the moment.
However, I'd been interested experiencing the strat like Hendrix had to deal with.
Having the tremolo, pickups and volume/tone knobs the wrong way also.
If I had the money of course.

cheers, Mark.

Andy40
14-05-2017, 08:20 AM
I'm only a fence-sitter at the moment.
However, I'd been interested experiencing the strat like Hendrix had to deal with.
Having the tremolo, pickups and volume/tone knobs the wrong way also.
If I had the money of course.

cheers, Mark.

I was thinking of a right handed body with a lefty neck so the switch and volume and tone knobs would be normal.

I'm no genius like Hendrix lol

wazkelly
15-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Hi Andy, you could always email Adam to see if he would be prepared to put one together for you and offer the reversed Lefty version as a special in the store?

Had a look at just the necks and they all looked right handed so not sure if he carries any spare lefties?

Andy40
17-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Nah it's gotta be a custom order waz. Thanks for thinking of me though. It's not a major deal for me, just was interested if easy. I think I would have a bunch of other custom orders I would do first!!!

wazkelly
17-05-2017, 06:36 PM
Hi Andy, saw these ones on eBay....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-Neck-Maple-22-Frets-for-ST-Replacement-Hot-E2T3-/401219271917?hash=item5d6a883ced:g:H-wAAOSwHMJYGwQA

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lefty-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-Neck-Maple-Rosewood-22-Fret-For-ST-Parts-/321817633911?hash=item4aedd36477:g:POwAAOSwyQtVtuk U

Plenty of bodies for sale everywhere too.

http://guitarmakersemporium.com.au/product/guitar-body-strat-3-tone-sunburst/

cork sniffer
17-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Hi Andy, saw these ones on eBay....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-Neck-Maple-22-Frets-for-ST-Replacement-Hot-E2T3-/401219271917?hash=item5d6a883ced:g:H-wAAOSwHMJYGwQA

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lefty-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar-Neck-Maple-Rosewood-22-Fret-For-ST-Parts-/321817633911?hash=item4aedd36477:g:POwAAOSwyQtVtuk U

I picked up one of those rosewood necks (right hand).
Being a new player I'm finding the 42mm width at nut too tight.
Good quality but too narrow.

Andy40
18-05-2017, 04:30 AM
Great stuff Waz!

Are you going to check out the Wood Expo next weekend?

Andy40
18-05-2017, 05:27 AM
Heres a confusing question, if I got a left neck on a righty body, would I use lefty tuners?:confused:

pablopepper
18-05-2017, 05:57 AM
Easy answer. Yes.

Andy40
18-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Thanks Pabs. High five man

wokkaboy
18-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Hey Andy just saw this thread. The neck heel shape of left and right hand necks should be the same shape.
I made the mistake of the pine end grain tele had a reverse headstock but had right hand tuners for it. No big deal but the eagle eyed people would pick out the tuners were upside down haha

I think if you emailed Ads and asked for a reverse headstock he should be able to interchange on a ST-1 kit if he has left hand necks in stock but maybe you are saying they are out of stock till August and the ones he has may be in left handed kits

pablopepper
18-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Thanks Pabs. High five man

https://i.giphy.com/OcZp0maz6ALok.gif

Simon Barden
18-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Being a new player I'm finding the 42mm width at nut too tight.
Good quality but too narrow.
The standard nut width for Strats/Teles is either 42mm (Squires, Mexican, Japanese) or 42.8mm (USA). Almost all Asian-made Fender-style necks will have the 42mm width.

So unless you go for a custom build, you aren't going to find anything significantly wider.

Just persevere and you'll get used to it.

wazkelly
18-05-2017, 09:25 PM
Great stuff Waz!

Are you going to check out the Wood Expo next weekend?

Hi Andy, was not on my radar as I work most Saturdays and not paying much attention to what's going on in the nearby regions. Quick google search indicated that Maleny Wood Expo was held 29 April or were you referring to another one?

Andy40
19-05-2017, 04:02 PM
@ Waz Yeah theres one at the RNA showgrounds next weekend

Timber & Working With Wood | Brisbane
Details
When: 26 to 28 May 2017
Where: RNA Showgrounds, Bowen Hills
Times: 10.00 am - 4.00 pm each day
Admission: Adult $16, Concession $14, Children (Under 14) when accompanied by an adult on Saturday & Sunday are Free. Multi-Day pass discount available. Please note: all ticket purchases are non-refundable, thank you

@ Wokks, thanks for confirming that reverse neck heel thing. I knew you'd know. I did email ads about the kit but didn't want to stretch the acquaintance just yet.

I was holding off on this to see if there was any interest, but I think I'll want till after the wood show as i am contemplating a semi-scratch build....

wazkelly
19-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Nothing like diving in at the deep end???

I don't have the tools to do a scratchie and would struggle to come up with an original design as I figure there is no point copying something else if you do go down that path.

Also running out of places to hide, err, umm, store these builds anyways thus ruling out the need to buy a router and all the other fancy things required.

Andy40
20-05-2017, 04:28 AM
I've been contemplating a semi-scratch build for a long time. I think i have the patience now. I'll be using a pitbull neck.

I dont really want to do an original design, instead use different materials/design to the diy kits.

I really really want to build a Johnny Lang Tele.

I'll get there one day....

cork sniffer
20-05-2017, 05:45 AM
The standard nut width for Strats/Teles is either 42mm (Squires, Mexican, Japanese) or 42.8mm (USA). Almost all Asian-made Fender-style necks will have the 42mm width.

So unless you go for a custom build, you aren't going to find anything significantly wider.

Just persevere and you'll get used to it.

Interesting comment, thanks.

I have a few US Strats and I measured nuts as 43mm (close enough to 42.8)
On these E to E string is 36mm, I'm happy with that spacing.

The neck I'm having a problem with is, 42mm nut & 32.5mm E to E.

That 3.5mm is making a big difference between clean or messy chords :-(

PS, I just measured my US Tele, it's also 43mm & 36mm, the same as my Strats.
My Mex Jazzmaster is 42mm & 36mm, so it looks like 36mm E to E is is what I've become comfortable with.

FrankenWashie
20-05-2017, 06:13 AM
I've been contemplating a semi-scratch build for a long time. I think i have the patience now. I'll be using a pitbull neck.

I dont really want to do an original design, instead use different materials/design to the diy kits.

I really really want to build a Johnny Lang Tele.

I'll get there one day....
Have crack at a neck Andy, it's not that hard, just make sure you stat off with square stock, particularly if you are going to build laminated neck blank.

Andy40
20-05-2017, 12:38 PM
What tools would i get away with making a neck? I have a jigsaw, dremel, power drill and thats it really

FrankenWashie
20-05-2017, 04:05 PM
What tools would i get away with making a neck? I have a jigsaw, dremel, power drill and thats it really

You'd want to have access to a good bench plane and a router. Maybe a spokeshave and Shinto rasp for shaping.

It really is going to depend on which way you want to go, single plank neck like a Fender, or a laminated scarf joint like an ibanez or a Gibbo. Accuracy and squareness are critical so you really need to measure three times and cut/plane once.

FrankenWashie
20-05-2017, 04:16 PM
And check out Simon Tan's builds:

http://http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5341 (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5731[/URL]

[URL="http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5341)

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5918

Simon Barden
20-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Cork sniffer, if it's the string spacing, then you could always try fitting a 43mm nut (Fender say 42.8mm on their web site) which should have the wider string spacing and file off 0.5mm from each end before you fit it.

stan
20-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Hey Andy40, sorry been away from the forum a bit and just saw this.
Sorry mate, to be honest, I just dont get the whole reverse headstock thing, and it's not really my bag. They are certainly eye catching though.
I'm sure if you run this by Ads you can work something out. I dont have any lefty necks from other things either as I tend to have bought kits with 3x3 head stocks - if i had one you could have it, sorry mate.

Great idea though, surely some other lefties on site might go for this

cork sniffer
20-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Cork sniffer, if it's the string spacing, then you could always try fitting a 43mm nut (Fender say 42.8mm on their web site) which should have the wider string spacing and file off 0.5mm from each end before you fit it.

Yep, thanks for your input, I did exactly that today and it feels much better.
Sorry to get off track re the left hand neck.
Half of this was saved from a garbage bin, only big $ part is the 920D loaded pick guard.
Only a little buzz on D string at 18th fret to correct and it's finished.

Simon Barden
20-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Nice find! Glad you're now happier with the neck. I know that even small changes in neck dimensions can make things feel uncomfortable. I really can't stand PRS's standard wide-fat neck shape.

cork sniffer
20-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Nice find! Glad you're now happier with the neck. I know that even small changes in neck dimensions can make things feel uncomfortable. I really can't stand PRS's standard wide-fat neck shape.

As said previously I'm a reasonably new player and old so my progress is super slow. I've reached the point where I can feel the difference from one neck to another. Only recently it hit me how flat my Danelectro fingerboard is, I don't even try any more to play my wife's Rickie, way too narrow for me. She does have a Schecter that is very thin and I like it a lot.

Andy40
22-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Hey Andy40, sorry been away from the forum a bit and just saw this.
Sorry mate, to be honest, I just dont get the whole reverse headstock thing, and it's not really my bag. They are certainly eye catching though.
I'm sure if you run this by Ads you can work something out. I dont have any lefty necks from other things either as I tend to have bought kits with 3x3 head stocks - if i had one you could have it, sorry mate.

Great idea though, surely some other lefties on site might go for this

No worries Stan, I was just putting it out there. Thanks for replying though.

BTW, I thought you were getting/working on a hardtail strat? If so hows it coming along?

stan
02-06-2017, 03:18 PM
No worries Stan, I was just putting it out there. Thanks for replying though.

BTW, I thought you were getting/working on a hardtail strat? If so hows it coming along?

There was a major problem with the kit neck and Ads said it wasn't worth sending. It was one of the PBG prototype ones that were being tested by some. So it didn't get built. Ads suggested he may be able to send me an alternative in the future, but if it doesnt come about for some reason then no worries.
I have a couple of scratch builds going and will put them up when drive overcomes busyness and laziness