PDA

View Full Version : More 12 strings?

Ricardo
12-05-2017, 01:44 PM
I would be interested in building a 12 string electric but I don't want an ES-12G, I'm after a solid body.

Lots of different styles out there to choose from, I would like a Tele style but I would happily get whatever was available.

Alternatively, what would be the chances of getting a seperate 12 string neck that would fit on an existing kit? or does the body and neck pocket need to be reinforced to handle the extra string tension?

Dedman
12-05-2017, 02:17 PM
I'd like a 12 string Ric :D

wokkaboy
12-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Hey Ricardo, Fretty built a custom 12 string strat. If you email Ads he may be able to organise a 12 string neck and bridge for a tele with suitable pups. I'd say the neck pocket as is should be strong enough to handle 12 string tension.

Fretworn
13-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Adam can custom order 12 string TLs or STs from the factory. It needs to be a full custom guitar because the necks are wider than the standard, so the neck route is also larger. I love mine. Playing 12 string just sounds so cool. My only issue was the bridge and nut were cut for a Rickenbacker style string order, instead of the more standard way.

Ricardo
14-05-2017, 06:06 AM
Hi Fretworn, my knowledge of 12 strings is very limited, but if I understand you correctly the nut was cut so the octave strings on the E,A,D and G were below the primary string instead of on top? Was there much difference in the grooves cut in the saddles or could you just swap the strings over and make do?

And while were on the subject, was the bridge hardtail or tremolo style?

Any chance of some photos? would really appreciate a look at it.

gavinturner
14-05-2017, 02:41 PM
I built a 12-string tele last year and absolutely loved it before it became insurance landfill. I'm definitely planning on building another 12-string tele or similar in the near future. Given a jazzmaster is very close to an ST/TL, my even be able to swing one of these with a fixed ST of LP style bridge.

cheers,
Gav.

Fretworn
15-05-2017, 11:58 AM
Hi Fretworn, my knowledge of 12 strings is very limited, but if I understand you correctly the nut was cut so the octave strings on the E,A,D and G were below the primary string instead of on top? Was there much difference in the grooves cut in the saddles or could you just swap the strings over and make do?

And while were on the subject, was the bridge hardtail or tremolo style?

Any chance of some photos? would really appreciate a look at it.

You are correct re the nut. The ST bridge was, surprisingly a trem bridge, but I have blocked it so it is practically a hardtail now.

vh2580
15-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Factory has done a 12 string Ricky previously (mahog neck- basswood body with veneer)

Dedman
15-05-2017, 04:18 PM
factory has done a 12 string ricky previously (mahog neck- basswood body with veneer)

satan! Get thee behind me!

FrankenWashie
15-05-2017, 04:58 PM
If you were of a mind you could do a Ricky kit with a scratch neck and replicate the 360's sneaky 12 headstock.
Though only If you were of a mind.

adam
15-05-2017, 06:18 PM
We're working on more 12 strings... like an RCM-12 and STA-12, for stock. Probably not until the end of the year though

But yes, you can custom order any kit (pretty much) as a 12 for not much more than the 6 string version... just gotta be patient for delivery.

ThreeBbass
16-05-2017, 06:41 PM
If you were of a mind you could do a Ricky kit with a scratch neck and replicate the 360's sneaky 12 headstock.
Though only If you were of a mind.

I reckon the Rick headstock would a great "level up" challenge on the build ...

Ricardo
17-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Or I could have a crack at one of these mods...

adam
17-05-2017, 09:46 PM
UPDATE...

I completely forgot that we do have some TL-12 kits due here next week, on the shipment that is currently sitting in the Port.

From memory, I believe it is the same as this one offered by our friends at DIY Guitars:

The STA-12 (Ash body) kits are due in August.

Still working on the RC-12 kits... waiting on the hardware availability.

Ricardo
18-05-2017, 02:50 AM
Giddyup! exactly what I was after!

I will keep a close eye on the announcements thread.

FrankenWashie
18-05-2017, 04:57 AM
Or I could have a crack at one of these mods...

To the ugly guitar thread with it! Yikes that's kicking off my OCD something awful.

popscene
14-09-2017, 09:56 PM
How about a jazzmaster/jaguar based 12 string like the Fender electric XII Id buy one in an instant.

adam
22-09-2017, 05:49 PM
How about a jazzmaster/jaguar based 12 string like the Fender electric XII Id buy one in an instant.

Hi popscene, you can custom order any of our JM/JMA, JZ/JZA, or JGA kits as a 12 string it will add AU$45 to the price of the kit.

Delivery would be 3-4 months by sea freight or odd AU$95 for ex-Factory shipping in 6-8 weeks.

Simon Barden
22-09-2017, 06:34 PM
But it will have the straight sided headstock, not the hockey stick one (or a blank paddle to make one) that I'm assuming Popscene is after. Is an un-drilled paddle headstock for a 12-string neck an option?

adam
22-09-2017, 06:47 PM
yes, you could order any configuration you like, other than Trademarked headstock shapes.

By default, a JM/JZ/JG 12 string would come with the same headstock as the 6 a side headstock on the TLA-12.

If you want to do something different, just order an oversize headstock and do your own shape.

Won't change the price.

Parker Gabriel
17-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Hoped for from PitBull, at least by THIS new member, is an acoustic-electric 12-string guitar, whether finished or kit not being of import, whose details are mindful of those of the 12-string versions of the ES series which Gibson (R) introduced and popularized.

Top price in United States Dollar$ would then be paid to get one.

djk7
03-01-2018, 07:34 PM
yeah semi acoustic 12 string would be great. Danelectro or Thinline style with a binding

Bass Guy
04-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Hoped for from PitBull, at least by THIS new member, is an acoustic-electric 12-string guitar, whether finished or kit not being of import, whose details are mindful of those of the 12-string versions of the ES series which Gibson (R) introduced and popularized.

Top price in United States Dollar$ would then be paid to get one.

This might fit the bill.

www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-es-12g-electric-guitar-kit-12-string/

Dikkybee007
05-01-2018, 05:43 AM
When you order a custom 12 string make sure you make it clear that you are indeed making a 12 string. I ordered a custom order of a LP Junior double cut and wanted a blank body with only the rear recess and no jack hole as I wanted the jack on the top face rather than out of the side. Unfortunately I have had to order a jack plate as my body came with a jack hole. I ordered a neck from a 12 string tele as I thought it would be wider to have the 12 string setup I wanted and I ordered it with no holes drilled for tuners as I was going to use a set of 6 on a plate on each side, as stated in my order, as obviously the holes that came standard was not going to fit. Again unfortunately when I got my order the neck was the 12 string head shape but only a 6 string width with a 6 string nut fitted. Well at least I got the body shape and head shape I asked for but not exactly what I wanted.

I know Ric's have a standard width nut for their 12 strings so it is possible to fit 12 strings on a 6 string width but it would have been easier with the right width to begin with. Fortunately being a toolmaker I have a set of slip gauges and feeler gauges and after some calcs have worked out my spacing's. After reading on other websites I knew what width is between each string and how far to come in from the side so I added up the string thicknesses of each set plus the gap in between, took the sum of all the sizes plus 6mm away from the 42mm nut width and divided the left over by 5. I then set about using my nut files and gauges and used the original plastic nut and spaced out my string spacing which look good and are evenly spaced. I will use this as my master to layout my strings on the replacement bone nut and hopefully all will be good, a little cramped but playable none the less. Just making lemonade from the lemons I was given and I just want to play my guitar no matter what. I am making a hardtail with through body but haven't worked out what or how many pup's I will be using plus my savings have to match my part list bill.

Parker Gabriel
05-01-2018, 12:54 PM
This might fit the bill.

www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-es-12g-electric-guitar-kit-12-string/

Ah, but that one is primarily a hollow-body electric once completed!

To the extent of awareness of this user, it cannot, alas, be so constructed as to provide acoustic sounds too. Not without extensive customization that would enable it to play as an amplified acoustic in case the guitarist wants that sound.

And this user, BEING a guitarist, DOES want that sound!

JB RETRO
05-01-2018, 02:36 PM

To the extent of awareness of this user, it cannot, alas, be so constructed as to provide acoustic sounds too. Not without extensive customization that would enable it to play as an amplified acoustic in case the guitarist wants that sound.

Hey there Parker, myself being someone who I consider can't play guitar takes a little bit of offense to your signature. I love building guitars and just making some sound. It doen't matter what your level of expertise is, we are all here doing something we love and that's what matters. So take off your bow tie and drop the higher than thou attitude. Fair enough to have an opinion, which you have done, and I've just given mine. JB

Parker Gabriel
05-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Many apologies; the signature deserved to be revised. And it was just before this response was completed.

JB RETRO
05-01-2018, 05:39 PM
I've noticed you haven't built any guitars. Maybe there's No point in playing one until you yourself can build one or know of someone who can. Then that should not be a problem. Order a kit and join in on creating something of your own design. Maybe then you will understand

Simon Barden
05-01-2018, 07:05 PM

You are being overly obtuse in stating what you want, so it would help to stop being over-verbose.

So what you are after is a 12-string electro-acoustic in the shape of an Gibson ES? But Gibson produced many ES guitars in different shapes. ES-5, ES-100, ES-120T, ES-125, ES-125T, ES-130, ES-135, ES-137, ES-140, ES-140T, ES-150, ES-165, ES-175, ES-225T, ES-250, ES-260, ES-295, ES-320TD, ES-325, ES-330TD, ES-335, ES-336, ES-339, ES-340TD, ES-345, ES-347, ES-350, ES-355, ES-359, ES-369, ES-390 and ES-775. OK, some are variations on the same shape but nevertheless, you are going to have to be more specific.

And please be aware that PitBull don't do any standard acoustic guitar kits.

PitBull do custom orders based on existing kits, so you might be able to order an ES-5V kit with a 12 string neck with no pickup rout, and no control or jack holes, so that it will otherwise appear as a hollow bodied Jazz style, (though you may have to source a 12-string trapeze tailpiece yourself). The standard bridge would accommodate a 12-string layout, without having individual intonation adjustment for each string in an octave pair.

Parker Gabriel
06-01-2018, 11:14 AM
I've noticed you haven't built any guitars. Maybe there's No point in playing one until you yourself can build one or know of someone who can. Then that should not be a problem. Order a kit and join in on creating something of your own design. Maybe then you will understand

The guitar building has been impossible for this user, whose income is fixed, due to unfortunate lack of available funds. With a steadier source of money, the kits would most likely gain affordability, and more guitars COULD be built in that case.

Sonic Mountain
06-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Your propensity for verbosely pontificating the most elementary of points is most vexing. We are by and large a most accommodating and salubrious contingent, who derive great satisfaction in facilitating builds undertaken by inexperienced newcomers. I would take care to avoid sewing the seeds of disharmony and perhaps reflect on how my own attitude engenders the responses of others.

Parker Gabriel
06-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Apologies are in order--and are hereby made.

Sonic Mountain
06-01-2018, 12:45 PM
All good, everyone is welcome here and I look forward to seeing your builds when finances permit.

Cheers.

dave.king1
02-04-2018, 09:29 AM
I'm thinking of converting my first kit ( from Guitaraust ) to a 12 string, I feel a need for jangle because I'm cheating at the moment by double tracking my acoustic in octaves and then tight editing to get the sound.

What is the width of the PB Tele 12 string neck at the pocket, my Tuff Dog is 55mm - 57mm in the neck pocket and the one I wish to convert is the same and my Squier Thinline is 1mm narrower @ 54 - 56

This is not getting any use at the moment so fitted with a 12 string neck and converted back to single coils should give it a new life

Edited to add. What price a Tele 12 string neck ??

Parker Gabriel
29-11-2023, 06:52 AM
Sad to say, those finances still DON’T permit.

fender3x
29-11-2023, 11:48 PM
You are a day late and a dollar short, I am afraid. PB has closed. The forum is still open, however, if you find such a kit elsewhere you're free to post.

You're first post suggests you would pay big bucks, but this post says you can't afford a kits to build. That's perfectly fine, the forum is open to people of all abilities and means. You are welcome here whether you have the means or not. Hopefully at some point you will, and there are lots of places to get a kit.

I would take exception to your signature, and think that it continues to be a bit needlessly provocative. It asserts that there is no point to building if you don't play or know someone who does. This misses the point of what we do here. We facilitate building here. We do not question the point of someone's build. There have been many builders here who were not players. I am sure that some knew guitarists, but probably not all of them. One of the most accomplished artists on the site, Elle, does not play. She was making her first guitar for someone with aspirations to play...but who was not yet a player. I myself made a guitar for my daughter because she wanted a guitar. She has not played it. That's OK. She loves it. I would love for her to learn and maybe she will. But people with aspirations to play sometimes never do. If all she ever does with it is hang it on her wall, and think occasionally that "my dad built that for me." I am fine with it. It is entirely possible to build a guitar just for the joy of creating a musical instrument, or a playable piece of wall art...or for reasons that no one here has yet thought of. Everyone is welcome.