PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

adam
02-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Every good manual needs a great Introduction... "Welcome to your new addiction..."

This text is from our Welcome Letter, which we still include with each kit:

"Congratulations on your purchase of one our Pit Bull Guitars Electric Guitar or Bass Kits. We know you’re going to have a blast painting, assembling, setting up and playing your new guitar or bass.If you’re anything like me, you’re probably dying to get started putting your kit together to see how cool it looks and hear how great it sounds. Well, we strongly urge you to take a minute and think about putting together a plan first. Rushing your build will end in disappointment… guaranteed.
You will note that there is no instruction booklet that comes with your kit. This is because all the instructions you need (including this manual) are to be found on our website. We have a great selection of Instructional Videos, covering most of the popular models, and we also have a very useful Community Forum, where you can get help for your specific kit.
The great thing about our Forum is that you can talk directly to experienced guitar builders who have already built your kit and can answer any questions you may have. So, make sure you sign up to our Forum straight away."

What would you like to add/delete from the Introduction?

Andy40
02-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Looks good to me, I liked the old statement that said that it was not an "Ikea kit" that really spoke to me.

Dedman
02-05-2017, 05:45 PM
"We strongly advise buying a second kit immediately so you don't rush the first one and have something to do while things dry or set"

;)

Rabbitz
02-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Congratulations on your purchase of a Pit Bull Guitars Electric Guitar or Bass Kit. We know you’re going to enjoy painting, assembling, setting up and playing your new guitar or bass.

If you’re anything like us, you’re probably dying to get started putting your kit together, to see how cool it looks and hear how great it sounds. However, we strongly urge you to take a minute and think about putting together a plan first. Rushing your build will end in disappointment. We almost guarantee it.

The first step on the road to building a great guitar or bass is to read through this manual. You'll get an overview of the adventure ahead and find plenty of tips and tricks to help you have a successful build. While you're at it, start jotting down your ideas, who knows, you may have so many great ideas that this won't be your last kit.

To help you out, we also have a website with a great selection of instructional videos, covering most of the popular models, and we also have a very useful Community Forum, where you can get help for your specific kit.

The great thing about our Forum is that you can talk directly to experienced guitar builders who have already built kits like your's and are only too happy answer any questions you may have. So, make sure you sign up to our Forum straight away.

adam
02-05-2017, 07:03 PM
That's great stuff Rabbitz, just what we need.

Simon Barden
03-05-2017, 03:07 AM
Unfortunately, (for the current version) all the instructions are not on the PBG web site (yet), and there are videos missing that need re-making, so it's wrong to let people think that all the basic answers can be found outside of the forum. Plus, almost every kit has its little quirks, so unless they are experienced, then they are really much better off doing a build diary and getting help from those who've done it before.

On Rabbitz version, I'd remove 'painting' in the first para (as a lot of people stain/wax/tru-oil etc.) and cover the finishing in a separate sentence. e.g. Choosing how you are going to finish your guitar (e.g. painting, staining, waxing or oiling) is almost a big a decision as choosing what kit to buy in the first place. If you have no set plans, or would like to first consider some options, have a look on the Forum at people's finished guitars and build diaries to get an idea of what's possible.

corsair
03-05-2017, 03:35 AM
I'd remove 'painting' in the first para (as a lot of people stain/wax/tru-oil etc.) and cover the finishing in a separate sentence. e.g. Choosing how you are going to finish your guitar (e.g. painting, staining, waxing or oiling) is almost a big a decision as choosing what kit to buy in the first place.

Yep.. this. For example, I shan't buy a kit until I have a finish worked out for it; this promises to be something of a hindrance to me but there you go!!

Rabbitz
03-05-2017, 03:39 PM
I toyed with replacing "painting" with "finishing", however that may be ambiguous to someone who isn't up to speed in that area. I also dislike using the word "build" as a noun - as in "Rushing your build will...".

As this is an early pass, it can be worked out.

nitroburner1000
10-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Maybe an idea for the last paragraph...

The great thing about our Forum is that its family friendly and you can talk directly to experienced guitar builders who were once novices and have already built kits like your's. They are only too happy to answer any questions you may have. So, make sure you sign up to our Forum straight away.
Heres the link www.buildyourownguitar.com.au

All the best from The Pitbull Guitar Team

Just a small change to let the shy know that they are not talking to a bunch of pros who will talk down to them and baffle them with science.

Sonic Mountain
11-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Exactly and we also don't mind answering the same questions over and over :)

wazkelly
11-04-2018, 08:35 PM
Well said gents.

adam
02-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Hey, sorry I only just saw this, I think that's a great addition. Will add it to the To Do List.

Nice work Nitroburner1000!

David Ramsay
05-08-2018, 09:06 PM
sounds good to me

MisterLutherMan
27-11-2018, 11:42 PM
This looks great :) I haven't bought a kit, but it sounds like you talk to the customer well. I'm intrigued simply reading it!

Dougr
02-03-2019, 03:27 PM
I think Simon Barden got it right when he said that not all of the instructions are on the website. When I started my first build I thought I would find the answers within the PBG site forum. Like Nitroburner suggested, many of us 1st time builders may be a little shy, thinking that most people on the forum are 'experts' so I actually found more information on You Tube about various facets of building the guitars, particularly videos covering the soldering part of the exercise. Personally I think there might be too much emphasis on the finish & how the guitar might look instead of encouraging first timers with the technical tips like how to line up the neck or how to get those pesky pots inside a hollow body. I have now built 3 kits & the thing I remember most from the outset was Adam Boyle saying 'they are not IKEA guitars' That stayed with me throughout each build, especially when I was having problems trying to do certain tasks.

adam
02-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Hey Dougr, how's life in Albany? I visit every couple of years (I have pseudo-relatives there) and always have such an amazing time.

I really appreciate your feedback and it is very timely. I think about our Guides and Instructions every day, 'cause I know that the video instruction section needs updating.

Most of the videos on our site were made when Phil W and I started this business in 2012. Back then, DIY Kits were still kinda new and there weren't many suppliers. We made a few videos for the processes that didn't seem to be covered, but now they look so dated and amateurish.

My dream is to remake every video, with the knowledge we have now AND add the videos that are missing; like setting a glue on neck.

BUT, making videos is a huge undertaking... scripting, approving, set-up, shooting, editing. It's so expensive in time and money, if you want to do it properly.

I take on board your comments about the Forum; being shy and maybe feeling awkward about asking questions. I think this applies to all Forums, no matter the subject. I'm not sure how to overcome this.

I do send customers, who are having issues, to the Forum and, mostly, they seem to go to the Forum resolve the issue. However, I can imagine that some are just too intimidated to follow through.

So, the answer is to have more and more self-contained video and PDF resources on the site. This is my goal.

Like all good things, it will just take time.

TZK321
23-09-2019, 01:32 PM
I have a suggestion. There's several formulations of Goof-off.
https://goofoffproducts.com/products/

I'm sure novices (like myself) would appreciate if you'd specify which formulation to use.

moonreader
31-08-2023, 10:45 AM
awesome, it is nice to meet you.