PDA

View Full Version : Maddog's BYOC pedals

Maddogm
02-05-2017, 10:09 AM
For something to do while waiting for top coats to dry I bought myself a couple of pedal kits from BYOC.

When I decided that I needed a signal tester to diagnose an issue with the first pedal I built (turned out to be a bad solder on the input jack) I used that as an excuse to buy some more (to save on shipping).

I now have:
Green Pony - A clone of a Maxon pedal which is clone of a Klon Centaur using a Tubescreamer Drive circuit
Large Beaver - Big Muff clone which I've done in the Rams head configuration
Full circle - Bass Fuzz
Reverb 2
Bass Overdrive - still need to get around to diagnosing this one (the drive channel is buzzing)

Having really enjoyed making these and after reading the Amp subforum here, I've now gotten completely carried away and bought a couple of Lamington Amp kits and also speaker plans so I'll end up having built everything but the cables :P

I'll post some pics later

wokkaboy
02-05-2017, 10:29 AM
good stuff Maddog, are these pedal kits pretty easy to follow the diagrams and assemble ? I'd like to have a crack at a kit. As long as they are much cheaper for a kit than the real thing ?

Maddogm
02-05-2017, 10:52 AM
good stuff Maddog, are these pedal kits pretty easy to follow the diagrams and assemble ? I'd like to have a crack at a kit. As long as they are much cheaper for a kit than the real thing ?

The BYOC kits are very easy to follow and assemble, on most kits the values of everything is printed on the PCB and the instructions are very easy to follow.

The hardest I found to assemble was the signal tester trying to solder a resistor (iirc) into the probe tip. I needed an extra hand on top of the holder I was using. It turns out that soldering irons are hot.

I bought directly from BYOC and it ended up costing me between $135 and $160 AUD per kit (with some upgrades) as I was spreading the shipping. The Australian reseller sells most of the kits I got at $179

Edit: Also they have the instructions on the website for you download if you want to check them out before you order

wokkaboy
02-05-2017, 11:13 AM
cheers Maddog I'll check out the website

DrNomis_44
02-05-2017, 01:48 PM
It's awesome to see more of the forum's members getting into the DIY pedal building scene, good onya guys.

Andy40
02-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Sounds awesome Maddog.

I really wanted to build an amp and was looking at the Lamington Amp kits. If its not too much trouble do you think you could do a build diary?

Maddogm
02-05-2017, 10:12 PM
I probably could, I haven't started construction yet, I'm still at the collecting parts stage as the components I received didn't quite match up with the instructions, and on the bigger amp there were a couple caps I couldn't tell what their values were so I ordered new ones just to be safe.

Maddogm
03-05-2017, 09:06 PM

These are the pedals I've made so far, 3 of them I bought with pre-painted enclosures as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do looks wise (And I love the look of the copper one) It cost around $10 usd each

The Bass Overdrive in the bottom right shows the side effects of not thinking about how much space I had for the knobs. That was the only knob design available in gold

Andy40
04-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Very cool Maddog, I too love that copper one. is it like hammered metal?

Maddogm
04-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Very cool Maddog, I too love that copper one. is it like hammered metal?
Yeah, hammered copper paint for the enclosure, with brushed copper knobs

DrNomis_44
05-05-2017, 09:51 PM
I just found my DIY Tonebender Mk I Fuzz pedal, tried playing my Gold Strat through it and it sounded brutal.

Maddogm
12-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Sounds awesome Maddog.

I really wanted to build an amp and was looking at the Lamington Amp kits. If its not too much trouble do you think you could do a build diary?
done (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=7370)... Well, started :P