PDA

View Full Version : Printed Instructions

adam
30-04-2017, 07:20 PM
We get a lot of potential customers asking whether instructions are included with each kit. We always respond that the instructions are on the site; directing them to our video guides, wiring diagrams, and this amazing Community Forum.

However, it does seem that many of our new competitors are offering Instruction Manuals; included with their kits. So, it might be time to reconsider our position and look at producing our very own Pit Bull Guitars Manual.

Whether it is actually printed and put in with the kit, or not, is up for discussion... being a bit of a Greenie, I'd say that is not necessary, as it's a huge expense (adding to the cost of each kit) and would use a lot of paper which many customers might just throw away (if they are onto their second, third or fourth kit). Also, a PDF of the manual on the site can have direct links to the Videos, Wiring Diagrams, etc, which you can't do in printed version.

Now, with so many different kits in the range, it is simply not practical to have a manual for every kit, so we are looking at a single Manual that covers all of our kits; guitar and bass; bolt on and set neck; all different pickup configurations; and finishing (painting vs staining).

We also think it would be great if we could produce our PBG Manual using the group knowledge right here on the Forum.

We actually have the seeds of a comprehensive manual here on the Forum; starting with Gav Bramley's thread "How to build your Pit Bull Guitar". We can use this as a kick off point, or start again from scratch.

The first step would be to develop Chapters to guide the drafting. Gav's thread provides a good base to work from:

1. Tools You'll Need For Building An Electric Guitar
2. Beginning and managing your Build
3. Body Preparation
4. Shaping the Headstock
5. Shielding
6. Leveling the Frets
7. Installing the Bolt-on neck
8. Installing Tuners to the Headstock
9. Grounding the Bridge
10. Installing the Bridge / Tremolo
11. Wiring Up the Electronic Components
12 Pickguard, Switches and knobs, and Strap Button Installation (and the pickups, bridge, pickguard and all other hardware)
13. The Nut
14. Putting on the strings
15. String and pickup height
16. Decals
17. Intonation
18. Entering Guitar of the Month

So, what's missing? Redundant? If we can decide on a Chapter list, I can set up a dedicated sub-Forum, with each Chapter as a separate Thread and we can all add to and comment on content for the Manual.

Ok, what do you think?

Dedman
30-04-2017, 07:53 PM
A great idea Adam, I agree on the PDF format, also easier to modify at any time and not have to waste paper. The only problem I can see with the sub forum idea is thread derailing, it would need the Mods to keep a watchful eye on that area.
Personally I had no trouble with my first kit from just following the above instructions. (it was a tele however which is a pretty easy one)

vh2580
30-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Some basic safety info ie precautions around dust and finishes and some recommended safety equip perhaps? nothing overly in depth but enough to give a good understanding.

Kick
30-04-2017, 08:30 PM
Good idea to make some kind of manual/instructions. Looking at the list above I miss 'Glueing the set neck' and 'How and with what to finish the build'. By that I mean, what kind of stain, spraycans, oils and things like that. And in which order to do the finish.

To be honest, I didn't bother not have any printed instructions because I watched a lot of YT clips and I find this forum very helpful.

But newbies who have no expereince whatsoever could benefit from instructions that comes with their new kit.

Brendan
30-04-2017, 10:48 PM
What to do on opening the box...
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5541

Bridge placement on a bass seems to come up as a question every now and again...
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3048

Andy40
01-05-2017, 04:36 AM
Given customers will have most likely ordered the kit online, its safe to say that they can download the PDF, or maybe the pdf could be automatically emailed with the receipt? Paper options could be mailed as an option if they have limited computer access.

You'll also need the topic, Installing the glue in neck/gluing the neck ;)

Zandit75
01-05-2017, 05:37 AM
Great idea, but I came across this forum before I ordered the kit. After some extensive forum lurking, I had most of the information I would need.
If you have to supply something with the kits, how about a small memory stick with all the PDF's in it. I realise you need to have a computer to be able to use it, but most phones have an adaptor available to access memory sticks etc.
It would also minimise the amount of paper used.
The memory stocks can be ordered in various colours with Pitbulls logo on them in the company colours, even in the shape of a guitar if you wish!

JohnH
01-05-2017, 06:55 AM
I like Zandit's idea of a USB - you could have a box to check for when customers are ordering, so then only people who need/want one would ask for one. And a USB is a pretty handy thing to have.

Having said that, I would also definitely vote for making some kind of hard copy available. I was thinking something like Graham McDonald's book 'The Mandolin Project', which both I and my brother bought in the ring binder version. It's really good - heaps of info, and because it's ring bound it can be left open on your workbench. I read it a lot when I was thinking of making Mandolins, and in a lot of ways it was more useful than the Mandolin Café Forum (which was my other source of info), because the forum could be overwhelming with the volume of info on there.

At my work we also sell a ring bound book on basic lithography by Peter Lancaster, and it sells well for all the same reasons - people can refer to it whenever they want, it stays open while they're working, it's cheap (I think $20?), and it's not overwhelmingly complex.

Just my 2c.

corsair
01-05-2017, 07:36 AM
I'm torn here; I love the idea of paperless and am quite capable of using .docs or .pdfs on a tablet rather than an actual manual, and as a bonus it keeps the price down a touch. However, I do so like having a book as a reference; silly, eh, when a digital copy serves the purpose just as well. As an example, I have 2 digital bird ID books available on both my phone and iPad, one of which has hi-res photos of the beasts and the other soundfiles available. Now which book do you think gets the biggest hammering when we're trying to ID birds?? Nope... neither; the paper Pizzey and Knight gets an awful lot of browsing!

The thumbdrive idea has merit, but given that these are supposed to be kits for the budget minded, anything that adds up to even a small price increase across the board that is not directly guitar related gets a frowny face from me; perhaps either the USB or the paper version could be available as a cost plus item, on request??

billb
01-05-2017, 12:54 PM
The big extra chapter I'd add would be a 1st chapter about 'Being part of the community!' ie this forum, the resources, GOTM and general helpfulness and ability to share with others who have the same interests and have been there or are going through it at the same time.

Presentation - give the buyer options when they are ordering - USB with the kit, download link with the order confirmation email or nil.

If you want a paper option the previous suggestions work, although the printing and paper would cost more than the $2 or $3 that a thumbdrive costs these days.

edit - also make the e-manual available from the top of the main page of the website so that anyone who wants it can download the whole thing - brand it with Pitbull logos/contact details and it will actually act as good free advertising at the same time.

wazkelly
01-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Good comments and feedback already posted above.

I remember my first build and at the time had been stalking the site for months but never signed up on the forum until my kit arrived. Big mistake and would suggest that on the home page or kit landing pages that anyone contemplating a PBG kit should immediately join the forum as there were so many D'oh moments that could have been dealt with prior to ordering and receiving the kit.

euroa guitars
02-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Although I think instructions in written form pdf or printed are a great idea , its a huge undertaking to do it, you also have to be really careful that its fool proof. The last thing you want is for someone to say I followed the instructions and blah blah happened. I tried writing an instruction manual for making cbgs a few years ago and its difficult because you cant take any prior knowledge for granted. Some things you just do and its all too easy to leave something out. Maybe just a simple step 123 instruction would be okay as a guide.
1 Check box for parts (you would need a check list) 2 Assemble guitar to check everything fits. etc
The other option is to supply (at a price) a book that's already in print, there's a book called "How to build an electric guitar" by Will Kelly... Publisher is Voyageur Press Inc
I haven't read or seen this book but it sounds good starting with a Strat kit then progressing from there, just a thought...

Fretworn
02-05-2017, 11:11 AM
The other option is to supply (at a price) a book that's already in print, there's a book called "How to build an electric guitar" by Will Kelly... Publisher is Voyageur Press Inc
I haven't read or seen this book but it sounds good starting with a Strat kit then progressing from there, just a thought...

I have read this book, and have suggested it as a good resource here before, as it really does start from a place of assuming you don't have a lot of experience or tools. And for those wanting to artificially roadwear their guitar, he goes into a lot of detail on how to do this in the instructions for the second guitar.

Having said that I think having a downloadable instruction pack is probably a better place to start. (But if Adam was able to wangle the rights to sell the book, I would buy a copy, as you can't reliably find it at the library when you want it.)

adam
02-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback, appreciated. Yes, I forgot to include Installing a Set (Glued) Neck, which I think Gavin did cover in his instructions.

So, I will make a start and create a sub-forum for the manual with a Thread for each Chapter. It will be a working draft which we can all comment on and I can edit based on Community consensus.

Hopefully we will end up with the Mother Of All Build Your Own Guitar Manuals (MOABYOGM... nope, that won't catch on)

dave.king1
02-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Having seen some of the questions asked by newbie builders on FB Kit Guitar Builders and the inane answers unfortunately I really think any build manual needs to be written with a complete novice in mind.

eg. Someone posted up saying their Tele kit went out of tune as they went up the neck, one responder suggested that the E6 should be closer to the nut than the E1, now if you don't know 1 from 6 this could be a helpful answer, this was followed by " you have the wrong gauge strings " " the nut is too high " and " you have too much bow in the neck " also not necessarily incorrect answers but no one had suggested that simply screwing the bridge down where it fitted without checking scale length was a fundamental but not fatal error.

As Euroa suggested a printed manual could easily be fraught with danger because of the width of the target audience

JMTBW

Rabbitz
02-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Hi Adam,

Without wishing to denigrate the knowledge of the folk here - there are a large number of knowledgeable and helpful people on the forum, despite this, the approach you describe is fraught with danger.

The common term is 'design by committee'.

For the outcome to be not only accurate, but to be polished and professional, will require very strict editorial control. Having multiple contributing authors can result in wide variations in tone, voice and flow. This is true of professional writers, let alone well meaning amateurs.

May I suggest a system? The editor or editorial team should probably flesh out the guts of the draft. When each chapter is more or less complete, the assembled brains trust should be mobilised to assess the chapter from a technical perspective. This may run over a couple of iterations.

Once all of the technical content is bedded down, the document should be edited for logical flow, technical and editorial structure, brevity and clarity. Sentence and clause structure, paragraph flow and presentation format are all scrutinised in this process.

Decide on the final layout and, well, lay it out. Check once more to make sure the compositing hasn't altered the technical content or flow. Check that errors and unvetted changes haven't been introduced.

Once the layout is done, just prior to 'print master ready', then it should be proofread. Properly. Don't rely on spellcheckers and grammar checkers. Don't rely on a bunch of folk giving it a 'once over'. Print it out, grab a red pen and study it paragraph by paragraph, sentence by sentence, line by line, clause by clause. If in doubt, look it up. Keep in mind that Proofreading is actually a trade, and had a three year apprenticeship - back when publishing houses and newspapers had standards.

I hope this helps. I know it sounds like a lot of faffing around but if you are going to commit it to paper (or PDF) people will use it as a yardstick to measure professionalism and quality.

Rabbitz
02-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Hopefully we will end up with the Mother Of All Build Your Own Guitar Manuals (MOABYOGM... nope, that won't catch on)

How about "The Bible" as a title? I don't think it's been used before :)

Or,

"How to build a GOTM" which has an advanced techniques stablemate "How to build a GOTY".
:)

Robbied
19-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Once the layout is done, just prior to 'print master ready', then it should be proofread. Properly. Don't rely on spellcheckers and grammar checkers. Don't rely on a bunch of folk giving it a 'once over'. Print it out, grab a red pen and study it paragraph by paragraph, sentence by sentence, line by line, clause by clause. If in doubt, look it up. Keep in mind that Proofreading is actually a trade, and had a three year apprenticeship - back when publishing houses and newspapers had standards.

And it cannot be proofread straight away by the person that authored it. Best option is to have someone not involved with the writing do the proofreading, or put it away for a few weeks and come back to it. This helps to cover all the bases and pick up those little errors that you can easily skim over if you wrote the content.

DrNomis_44
20-06-2017, 12:38 AM
A downloadable PDF manual is a great idea, the thing is, Australia's NBN network isn't exactly foolproof since it has had quite a few outages lately, in the event of an NBN outage it is virtually impossible to get online and log onto the forum, believe me I know exactly what it's like, so having a PDF manual that you can download and print out before the internet goes down is very handy.

OliSam
20-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Hi Guys

Every comment here has merits.

Personally, I am still a huge fan of the forum since there are many ways to skin a cat and a book can only tell you one way.

How about you take that table of contents and hot link each heading to the best blog posts on the topics? you could go back and re-tag them so that they linked to the table of contents.

That way it is a "forum-bible" or "team-bible" so to say. And it offers many solutions by the members to each stage in the table of contents and also since we all post pictures they can see how each available option can turn out!

anyway. just thinking.