PDA

View Full Version : Black Stump weirdness

dave.king1
21-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Greetings all,

The Tuff Dog is nearing the stage where I am thinking about the next step beyond stain coats and I have noticed the the BS seems to have granules in it where the CG stain does not.

Both stains applied with the same type of cloth in the same location and left to dry/cure in the same environment.

Is this unusual and what is the resolution because I don't want to go to intensifier at this stage, sorry can't do pics because of the time of night and I'm jumping on a plane in the morning and won't be back home until Tuesday so no great rush but any hints / tips or whatever in the meantime will be most welcome.

I will be looking in at the forum just a long way from home.

dingobass
22-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Give the BS a light scuff sand with 400 grit to remove those pesky grainy bits and flatten out the surface.

dave.king1
22-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Will do, thanks DB

Andy40
22-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Hey DK, its a bit hard to see but if you look at my video in timelape when doing the burst, I do a light sand of the bumps with 1200 grit wet. I've found that 600 is alright but can take a fair bit off.

dave.king1
26-04-2017, 02:55 PM
I gave it a once over with 600 & 1000 ( both wet ) and have given it a fresh coat of BS, see what it looks like in the morning

Andy40
26-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Good stuff DK. Stick with it, I'm sure it will work out fine. some of my worst stuff ups ive had to sand back the lumps and reapply the stain coat in patches, but it all worked out i the wash. (that was my TLA-1R)

Simon Barden
26-04-2017, 04:09 PM
I have to keep reminding myself on this thread that BS means black stump and not male cow manure.

dave.king1
19-05-2017, 01:16 PM
More weirdness with the BS, this time the intensifier.

After applying the intensifier around 10 yesterday morning it looked nice and glossy, still looked the same around 6 in the evening, but today it has developed a number of dull patches these are not in the same place or size as the previous ones so I doubt that it related to sap or moisture in the timber.

Seems very strange because I didn't have the same issue with the CG stain and intensifier on the top.

At least the BS is on solid timber so I can sand it right back if that is the recommendation, but if that is the case I would be worried about a reoccurrence.

The alternative is to take it back and spray it with black acrylic.

FrankenWashie
19-05-2017, 01:56 PM
...and that is completely different weirdness to the weirdness I had with the black stump.
Possibly a job for DB? Was it a New batch of BS?

Andy40
19-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Its pretty humid at the moment DK, thats usually the work of humidity plus a little too much intensifier. again, your not going for a glossy finish at the intensifier stage, so as long as you sand down any lumps and keep truckin' it should be fine.

dave.king1
19-05-2017, 03:55 PM
...and that is completely different weirdness to the weirdness I had with the black stump.
Possibly a job for DB? Was it a New batch of BS?

Yep, the new stuff in the alloy bottles.

I was sparing with the application and the CG done at the same time is good so I would expect humidity to affect both finishes not just the BS

I'll give it another sand to flat it off tomorrow and give it another coat and see what happens

Maddogm
19-05-2017, 04:52 PM
I've got some similar patches with my BS but on the final coat, the stain and the intensifier were fine. I think my current plan is if I cant sort out the final coat sand back to the intensifier and try Tru-oil

wazkelly
28-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Pretty familiar DT curse happening here.

Andy seems to be about the only person on the East Coast who can get a decent job done with the stuff and best to follow his advice.