PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Issue? - Low Volume

LarryAnderson
04-04-2017, 07:04 PM
I have recently purchased and built my first pitbull guitar (IB-6S), everything is working but I have very poor volume. The only thing I didn't do was attached the bridge earth cable. Would this affect the volume output of the guitar?

Simon Barden
05-04-2017, 01:12 AM
Hi and welcome.

No it won't but it does help keep external noise from being picked up, so best to attack it at some time. It depends on how quiet is 'quiet'. There are a few people who have made this kit and the general feeling is that as standard, it is on the low output side, so a lot of people have fitted the Belcat 3-EQ preamp to it (it's a very low cost unit) which gives a lot more output plus the versatility of a 3-band EQ on the bass.

I suppose the first question is 'what wiring diagram did you use'? The next step is to take some pictures of the wiring and post them on here in case we see anything missing. There may be a poor solder joint which simply needs re-doing (I don't know how experienced you are at soldering so you might have already done all the normal checks). You can post photos direct to the website using the 'insert image' icon but they need to be less that 1MB in size and the longest side must be no more that 1500 pixels, so you normally need to use some photo editing software to do that. Otherwise host them on a photo imaging site and post a link to them (making sure that it's not set to 'private').

The other thing to look at quickly is the pickup height. The nearer to the strings, the stronger the output. Hold the strings down at the highest fret and raise the pickups up so they are 2-3mm below the lowest string when they are held down on that fret. If they won't go that high then you need to find some foam to stick under the pickup to help push it up.

stan
05-04-2017, 03:44 AM
Pics help a lot Larry, put some up as suggested and perhaps we can help
Welcome aboard

dave.king1
05-04-2017, 05:28 AM
Silly question I hope, but are the pickups set too low by any chance ?

andrewdosborne
05-04-2017, 07:03 AM
As Dave mentions worth checking pup height. I've just set up someone's Jazz Bass to factory spec inc. The pickups that were way too low - resolved its quiet sound issue

Sent from Lineage OS 14.1

LarryAnderson
09-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys for all of your input, you were correct in that my soldering skills are average at best. I redid the key solder between the two volume pots and it solved the issue. Below is result of my efforts. This was never going to be a showpiece, it is a monster AKA "The Kraken". Cheers and thanks for the help.

http://i.imgur.com/kMFC2Cw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Y9oL8S6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kyvaqaq.jpg

Dedman
09-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Sweet! the lettering works in well with the spalt

dave.king1
09-04-2017, 03:13 PM
I like that a lot, nice work

andrewdosborne
09-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Nice bass!