PDA

View Full Version : May GOTM

Brendan
02-04-2017, 04:28 PM
May GOTM

Guitar of the month Comp time again! While for this there are no fortunes (just fame - or at least within the BYOGuitar fraternity) there's an opportunity for fame for the best guitar completed in April 2017.

May Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in April 2017)

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars May 2017 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) 30 April 2017

One guitar/bass per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for May closes 30 April 2017.

The sorts of things we judge on include:
· How well has the body and neck been prepared
· Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
· How well has the finish been applied
· How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
· Does it have the "Wow Factor"
· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

I'm a personal fan of demos - no matter how simple - everyone likes to hear how an axe has turned out!

Also worth thinking - we've got a range of judges and who knows what they'll like (or not), so don't be afraid to enter your guitar - no matter whether you think it's good enough to win or not - on the day, you may get a couple to swing your way!

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest judge the following month!

Brendan
05-04-2017, 10:33 PM
First entry from Scott Davis (SJDavis75). Had a few issues with photos so I've uploaded them for Scott...

Message from Scott...
"I call the guitar The Barbedwire-caster as you will see in the attached pics. "

Brendan
05-04-2017, 10:34 PM
And some more shots...

ThreeBbass
08-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Here's my GOTM entry ...
I finally finished my PBG custom 5 String P bass ...

Details:
PBG 5 string Precision Ash Body
EMGx active pickups
Schaller Piezo bass bridge 2000
Graphtech Ghost Acousti-Phonic preamp
Gotoh style tuners
Hipshot Extender (drop-D) tuner on low E string (I've strung it E A D G C)
Hipshot string retainers
Warwick just-a-nut and straplocks

Finish:
body - DingoTone colourless, outback sunset, black stump
neck - DingoTone colourless

Sounds interesting, and plays well.

18606 18607

18608 18609

wazkelly
08-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Looks great 3b.

Andy40
10-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Look at that bridge! well done ThreeBbass

Hobastard
11-04-2017, 01:08 AM
Nice indeed. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that for a tune or two.....

DJP
13-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Here is my effort.
LP1 Spalted maple top (black grain filled).
Fittings = as out of box with exception of upgrade to Grover tuners.
Finished with Dingotone clear.
Rattle-can nitro finished headstock and neck.

DJP
13-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Here is some more detail of the finish

Fuzzbeard
14-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Fuzz's ES-1G
Here is my GOTM entry. It's been a while coming.
It's finished in colortone dyes and tru-oil.
I used Gotoh tuners, humbuckers out of my Epiphone LP Custom, PBG bone nut, abalone dots, ugraded electronics a bit and a few other ebay bits and pieces

Andy40
14-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Wow Fuzzy, look at that grain! the burst is great too! awesome effort mate.

Also, you have green grass in Chinchilla! equally impressed

Fuzzbeard
14-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Thanks Andy, the grass is green because lucky for us when cyclone Debbie blew through we just got a good drenching and that patch of lawn hasn't faced the destructive force of our dogs

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

DJP
14-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Beautiful burst Fuzz. What a lovely looking guitar.

Kick
16-04-2017, 04:17 PM
Wonderful entries so far. Great jobs guys!

Gee-Gal
16-04-2017, 09:31 PM
This is my first guitar. TL-1 Kit, Hand carved 3D Redback Spider and carved headstock with Pyrography finish and web on the back.
Schaller tuners, Camel bone nut, Lipstick humbucker in neck position, Babicz full contact bridge and Tone rider single coil pickup, Spider neck plate from Texas, Stirling silver spider knobs from Canada and Guitar sauce vintage wiring kit.
I think thats everything, hope the pictures came up ok.
I finished the spider and the headstock in clear Gloss with the rest of the guitar is natural timber in Satin to help make the big girl stand out.

Kick
17-04-2017, 04:29 AM
Well, that is a 'scary' axe! But a well-done job!

Andy40
17-04-2017, 04:53 PM
Babicz Bridge and the Pups man, props to you. love the redback man, looks killer:cool:

Fretworn
18-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Great job Gee-Gal. How long did it take to do the carving?

Gee-Gal
18-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Thanks everyone, the carve itself took about a week but I spent hours upon hours of sanding before burning it.

kawaokie
19-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Here is my rc1i posted the other day. Internet trouble prevented it from happening yesterday. The headstock shows the offset tuners. I installed Grover tuners. Rickenbacker high gain pickups and bridge. Bigsby tailpiece, axemasters compensated nut. The paint is automotive chrysler brilliant pearl. It has a lot of sparkle under good light. Several coats of clear on top of that. Camera just doesnt seem to pick it up. Custom made black perloid pick guard. Tbe pickups had to be recessed in the body cavity. They are a very tall pickup. Still retained the height adjustment. Thanks for looking and the support.

CascadiaGuitarGeek
20-04-2017, 03:21 AM
Wowza, this is shaping up to be quite the month of awesome guitars. I love the web carving on the headstock Gee-Gal.

stan
20-04-2017, 04:52 AM
wow as they say in the classics - all killer, no filler. What an excellent line up, this will send us judges into early therapy...

Nekogen
21-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Hi Every one, here's my first GOTM

when I started project last year, I didn't imagine that I could post my bass here, since I saw many beautiful and skillfully-made basses in this thread.

In my first PB project, I have learned so many things, especially sanding, fillers, dyeing, clear lacquer coating... all are useful experiences and looking forward to next project. Mod for this bass is only pu to Seymour Duncan, Antiquity. many flaws and dimple and dents on this my bass, but its precious to me just like child.

18851 18852 18853

18854 18855

Cheers!!

wokkaboy
21-04-2017, 04:38 PM
great work Toshi glad you entered, top quality build mate. Wow I missed about 3 of the other entries I can't believe the standard of the entries this month. As usual another tough month for judges ahead

Simon Barden
21-04-2017, 05:42 PM
That's a lovely bass, Toshi. It's very hard to tell that it's not a commercially made bass. Well done indeed.

Note that you'll need to take a picture of the back of the guitar to comply with the GOTM rules.

Kick
21-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Awesome bass Toshi :)

Fuzzbeard
21-04-2017, 10:45 PM
So shiny!

Nekogen
22-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Thank you for msg, everyone!

Simon, thank you for advice. I was not aware of the rule.

here are some photos for back side.

18859 18860 18861

18862 18863

:D

stan
22-04-2017, 09:26 AM
Nice bass Toshi

Zandit75
22-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Looks brilliant Toshi, be very proud of that build!

ozzbike
22-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Oh wow Toshi that is one beautiful precision bass. Nice work.

FrankenWashie
22-04-2017, 09:44 PM
I know I've said it already in your build diary Toshi, but it bears repeating. That is an absolutely beautiful job. Well done!

adam
23-04-2017, 11:23 AM
An ES-5V entry from Steve in Tassie.

"First layer on both the body and neck were the colour coat butterscotch, which had been prepared as a special custom colour, this was just prior to it being added to the standard range.

For the next two coats on the body I added a fair bit of white tint whereas the neck was merely two more of undiluted colour coat.
Then both neck and body had a final coat.

the first two coats were lightly sanded, from then on I used the micro mesh range 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12000"

18887 18888 18889 18890
(Apologies for the fuzzy headstock shot; Steve did not include one so I've tried to enlarge the first shot)

Dedman
23-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Finally My ES-2V is finished ! I built this inspired by Gretsch Duo Jets as much as LP's
Mods are : filled the holes for the normal LP style tail piece and added the reversed pattern Finger Style tail piece, changed the bridge to an adjustable style with a ebony base to match the ebony neck I ordered with the kit. Duesenburg tuners and pot knobs, Guitar Fetish Retrotron Vintage Liverpool voiced pick ups( no fancy wiring, basic LP style), Hell Guitars switch surround and tuner washers. Stainless steel headstock inlay by me, never again! LOL
Paint is basic black acrylic, lots of binding scraping....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Full_zpsd9xhk70k.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/back_zpsfryg2grm.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/headstock_zps7mmdcmcw.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/body_zpssmdjqscg.jpg

Kick
23-04-2017, 03:19 PM
Wow! Very cool builds! Is that a finetuner I see on the ES-2V? And I love that black matted finish!

Dedman
23-04-2017, 04:17 PM
yes Kick, fine tuners on the tail piece.
Thanks for the comments too!

Kick
23-04-2017, 04:49 PM
I must admit that I have never seen these before. They give the guitar just that little more to it, really beautiful!

But aren't you afraid of damage to it? They look as if they could break of when you accidentally hit them or bump the guitar to something...

wazkelly
23-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Geez, just got back from 10 day trip to NZ and blown away by all of this month's entries. Very tough judging coming up this time next week.

Cheers, Waz

Dedman
23-04-2017, 07:29 PM
I must admit that I have never seen these before. They give the guitar just that little more to it, really beautiful!

But aren't you afraid of damage to it? They look as if they could break of when you accidentally hit them or bump the guitar to something...

A little yes, defiantly a "home use only" axe, but then all mine are :)

Kick
23-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Ok, good to hear ;)

Hobastard
23-04-2017, 11:16 PM
You Guys are Cruel.
The judges must be pulling out whatever hair they might have left trying to pick a winner from this lot will be a real headache.....
There will be absolutely no shame in not winning this month.....

stan
24-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Finally My ES-2V is finished ! I built this inspired by Gretsch Duo Jets as much as LP's
Mods are : filled the holes for the normal LP style tail piece and added the reversed pattern Finger Style tail piece, changed the bridge to an adjustable style with a ebony base to match the ebony neck I ordered with the kit. Duesenburg tuners and pot knobs, Guitar Fetish Retrotron Vintage Liverpool voiced pick ups( no fancy wiring, basic LP style), Hell Guitars switch surround and tuner washers. Stainless steel headstock inlay by me, never again! LOL
Paint is basic black acrylic, lots of binding scraping....

Nice job Deddy, those bits from Hell guitars are great aren't they - do you like their tuner washers? I've used the switch surrounds and they are way better than plastic

stan
24-04-2017, 08:13 AM
You Guys are Cruel.
The judges must be pulling out whatever hair they might have left trying to pick a winner from this lot will be a real headache.....
There will be absolutely no shame in not winning this month.....

So true, I'm having palpitations already....
and there is never shame in not winning - every single builder should be proud of what they have done and learnt every month.
But yeah - very high quality this month

nitroburner1000
24-04-2017, 09:00 PM
I have a question to all you guitar builders this month. @sjdavis75 @ThreeBbass, @DJP, @Fuzzbeard, @Gee-Gal, @kawaokie, @Nekogen, @steve from tassie and Dedman....and its this, are you sure none of you are professional Luthiers, because they are so good this month that im starting to doubt that any of you are amateurs! WELL DONE GUYS.

nitroburner1000
24-04-2017, 09:03 PM
So true, I'm having palpitations already....
and there is never shame in not winning - every single builder should be proud of what they have done and learnt every month.
But yeah - very high quality this month

Nice comment Stan.

Gee-Gal
25-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Definitely not @nitroburner, thanks for the nice comments. Im not the best photographer, I would love to take better photos and swap them.

Fuzzbeard
25-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Thanks Nitro I am still very much amateur but I think the quality of these guitars comes down to the great advice that is given and can be found on this forum.

JohnH
25-04-2017, 07:32 PM
That's a beautiful bass Toshi. Love the colour!

DJP
26-04-2017, 02:31 AM
That is a beautiful colour and finish Toshi.

Steve Mars
29-04-2017, 06:53 PM
That was my first build, definitely not a luthier, professional or otherwise. The whole project wandered between so excited and so frustrated and in the end I feel myself considering whether I should do another on, if only to find out whether it gets easier... but really more important to spend more time practicing, to see if I can actually turn myself into a real guitarist.
Steve from Triabunna

wazkelly
29-04-2017, 08:02 PM
That was my first build, definitely not a luthier, professional or otherwise. The whole project wandered between so excited and so frustrated and in the end I feel myself considering whether I should do another on, if only to find out whether it gets easier... but really more important to spend more time practicing, to see if I can actually turn myself into a real guitarist.
Steve from Triabunna

Hi Steve, in the business world they call it continuing improvement or pursuit of excellence, and yes, each subsequent build generally becomes easier than the first through the new lessons learned along they way. Seriously addictive hobby this guitar building.

stan
29-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Steve from Triabunna

Mate that is most of us every day...

ThreeBbass
30-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Hi Steve, in the business world they call it continuing improvement or pursuit of excellence, and yes, each subsequent build generally becomes easier than the first through the new lessons learned along they way. Seriously addictive hobby this guitar building.

Seriously addictive is right Waz!! ... and now my kids are bugging me to build guitars for them too ... and I'm not complaining!
:rolleyes:

wazkelly
30-04-2017, 04:47 PM
Seriously addictive is right Waz!! ... and now my kids are bugging me to build guitars for them too ... and I'm not complaining!
:rolleyes:

Nothing worth watching on TV so might as well do something useful and build another guitar.....at least that is my excuse.

zeromick
30-04-2017, 04:54 PM
hat... ring... thrown...

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz63/tipposcycles/01_zpsgc8i5ixx.jpg (http://s814.photobucket.com/user/tipposcycles/media/01_zpsgc8i5ixx.jpg.html)

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz63/tipposcycles/02_zpszakte78a.jpg (http://s814.photobucket.com/user/tipposcycles/media/02_zpszakte78a.jpg.html)

Chuck
30-04-2017, 05:05 PM
jaw... hits... floor...

That's a cracker Mick!

Kick
30-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Astonishing build!

Dedman
30-04-2017, 07:55 PM
every time I say to myself I bet I know who's gonna win this....another stunner pops in. I am glad I'm not a judge.

kawaokie
30-04-2017, 09:04 PM
That is so cool!!!!! Weathering isnt as easy as it looks to...

CascadiaGuitarGeek
01-05-2017, 02:18 AM
Very very nice zeromick! That's some great attention to detail that went into the finishing. Is that a faux finish or some sort of oxidizing paint?

JohnH
01-05-2017, 07:22 AM
Woah, Mick! Killer build

nitroburner1000
01-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Wow almost like you gave everything an acid wash.......great attention to detail.

Brendan
02-05-2017, 08:19 PM
And Mick scrapes in as the last entrant. GOTM for May is now closed. June to be opened soon.... Judges - messages to come soon as well!

stan
02-05-2017, 10:07 PM
What's that, 10 entrants, what a killer month, they all look amazing

phrozin
05-05-2017, 01:48 AM
wow theirs some really nice guitars this month i specially like Fuzzbeard and gee-gal's but there all great some one got there job cut out to pick a winner

Fuzzbeard
05-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Thanks Phrozin! So many beauties this month that I would love to take home.

Zandit75
05-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Damn, what a month! I've got three favorites, but I'm not a judge, so I least hope one of them comes out the winner!
Good luck guys!

Brendan
08-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Apologies for the delay in collating results - have been down with the lurg and have only just surfaced for air after the last few days. The results are in, I'll tally them and post tonight.

Brendan
08-05-2017, 08:56 PM
So to the comments:

Overview: GOTM is getting so tough – the core judging criteria of body/neck prep, appropriate finish and quality of application, and component installation are these days almost always going to be about the same for everyone – fantastic! It means the “wow” factor is increasingly the decider.

Scott Davis' TL-1
Modern styled Tele with a barbed-wire twist. Great job with the pin-striping to achieve the barbed-wire, and generally very clean edges. Nice custom headstock and pleasing overall look.

Just a rock-solid build. I love the paintwork too – the barbed wire is a fantastic touch. About the only thing that bothers me a little is the headstock which looks a little rough (maybe just the pictures) and the fact the string trees are on top of the logo!

awesome looking tele with the barbed wire sides and looks like the paint has flake in it. I'm sure it's hard to photograph but would have liked so see a clear shot of the flaked paint.

Really dig the colour combo. Black with a black pearl pickguard is super stylish. The pearl switch tip is an excellent detail. Setup needs work, saddles seem to be maxed out leading to a very high action. Overall, very nice.

Classic black T-style. The barbed wire pattern & headstock shape are great customisations.

ThreeBBass' PBA-5
Clean, mellow and stylish. The subtle colouring of body really suits it, and the mods and hardware upgrades take it to the next level. Changing the headstock from a 4+1 to 2+3 with extender is particularly nice and looks fantastic. P plus Piezo, love it.

Clean and stylish build with some wonderful touches around the hardware choice to make an instrument I’d love to try.

love the mods and the hardware used for this build. Would like this bass in my collection !

Seriously top shelf fit out on this one. Great finish and well put together. A class act.

A workhorse bass. I find the new headstock shape at odds with the body though.

DJP's LP-1S
No matter how many spalted LP's you see, it's never enough. This is really letting the material speak for itself. The mahogany of the body and neck look amazing and the spalt just sings under the DT clear. Headstock looks great with the underlying flame, and an excellent overall quality of finish.

Nice work DJP, I particularly like how well you’ve looked after the spalted top.

lovely spalt and you really made the most of it. Great example how cool these kits look.

Very pretty spalt. The amber works very well and your logo is spot on. Keep up the good work.

All round great job.

Fuzzbeard's ES-1G
A truly stunning ES. Great choice of colours emphasising the classic styling of this kit. The flame of the top and even the grain of the back has come up beautifully with the finish, and resulted in something I'd instantly be drawn to. Some of the photos make the burst transition look a little less gradual than I suspect it is, and I love the colours. The only detractions for me is the headstock looks a little dark in comparison and maybe a missed glue spot on the leading edge of the neck heel?

Beautifully finished with all the extra attention to detail that you could want. Such a nice burst too.

top looking ES Fuzz, love the mods and the burst is well executed.

This appeals to me greatly. Nice even burst, great colours. Quality upgrades. A keeper, for sure.

Pure & classic. Understated as an ES-style should be, with just a touch of bling on the headstock.

Gee-Gal's TL-1
Arachnophobes beware! The carving on this just blows my mind. The effect achieved on the headstock alone is spectacular, but with the body too I'm just lost for words. Nightmare inducing, but utterly spectacular. The hardware and fittings only compliment it further. The only thing that err bugs me slightly, and only slightly, is the exposed neck lippy humbucker. Although, I'm not sure even a custom embedded pup ring of some sort wouldn't just detract from this incredible build. Well done.

Love the unique approach, and while carving isn’t my personal thing you’ve done an outstanding job!

love the carving and hardware upgrades. You nailed the theme this is an uber cool tele well done

Spooky! Love a good theme guitar. Really nicely done.

A great vision, well executed. Unique and original.

Kawaokie's RC-1
Black and pearl RC with Bigsby... wow. This finish looks very nice, although the headstock photo suggests a little more surface prep may have helped (it could just be the photo). Nice choices for hardware and upgrades and the overall result is pretty special. I'm not normally partial to RC's but this catches my eye.

A little hard to really get a feel for this one with the pic quality, but a very tight build with no glaring issues.

well finished Riccy and some nice hardware mods. Sure it's a pleasure to play, top job

Really like this one. Black is the hardest colour to get right, but you've done it here. Beautiful upgrades, those pickups looks rather special. Sleek and sexy.

The pearloid and the replacement pickups add up to a unique take on the RC.

Nekogen's PB-1
All of the time and effort spent sanding, applying and polishing has truly really created a finish you could dive into. Great body colour and works nicely with the pearloid pickguard. Definitely a labour of love and the result shows it. An excellent bass and something to be proud of.

There’s a lot to be said for keeping things simple when you achieve results like this. The depth to the colour is fantastic and it really looks like something that should be hanging in a high-end shop.

really cool p-bass Toshi, I know how much work went into this and you hung in there and produced a very nice axe, well done

Love that purple burst! Excellent fit and finish, like up to professional standards. All the right moves.

A great result for all your hard work. Love the colour.

Steve's ES-5V
Clean, classic and appealing. I'd have to pick it up just to hear its mellow tone. The bridge height worries me somewhat, but I really love the way it looks with the butterscotch. Natural, but not. I can only imagine how good this thing will look as it gets some years on it.

Clean and simple – I really want to come back and look at this guitar in 30 years when it has aged gracefully!!

looks well put together but the colour looks almost natural and plain in the photos. Would have like to see a contrast of colours on the sides maybe would have lifted the look.

A classic take. Straight forward and simple, not that there's anything wrong with that. Let the wood speak for itself. I like it.

Simple and unadorned.

Dedman's ES-2V
I'll have 6 fingers of EX-2V, please. It's not how I'd expect to see an ES-2, but then he's not a normal builder. Dark and brooding with striking and impressive hardware upgrades. The ebony fretboard and bridge base only further enhance this custom creation. And, that finger tailpiece, wow. It may be black, but it's anything but boring. Not exactly my taste, but I love it anyway.

Stunning build of the highest professional quality with a wonderful choice of components to highlight the guitar – that tailpiece choice is the stuff of genius!

usual Dedman cool hardware upgrades and to the usual high level of finish. Another axe I'd be very happy to have in my collection

I love everything about this. This would be my go to of the bunch. Great attention to detail, and what details! That tailpiece is a work of art on it's own. Lovely stuff, Dedman.

Sleek, original & very, very Dedman!

Zeromick's LP-1
I'm not normally a fan of relics, but this... this is something else entirely. It instantly conjures an imagined history of use and abuse, good times and bad, many hands and many notes, and where music itself has left its imprint. It would be the 'worst' looking guitar in the shop and I'd immediately reach for it. The planning, forethought, care and execution to create this masterpiece of grime and wear is just astonishing. I really wish I could just pick it up and admire all the little elements that have been applied to achieve this result. The scratches, the crazing, the wear, the grime, the double finish (double finish!!!), the bridge, and that pickup... that pickup! For me, this is simply stunning.

Simply breathtaking. A good relic needs to start from a great build, and your attention to detail is superb – the scratches on the headstock face, the cracks in the pickup cover etc. A clear winner in the toughest GOTM in a long time.

I'm not usually a fan of relic'd guitars but Mick you have absolutely nailed it. Looks like its been gigged for 20-30 years and may not have had a case ! You have raised the bar even higher Mick !

Ok, look, I don't like relics. Not at all. Until now. Bloody hell, just amazing. This thing could easily pass for a heavily toured, well loved, 60 year old beater. The sunburst under a solid colour is a great tribute to the early unsatisfactory bursts of Fender heritage. Tons of attitude and heaps of mojo.

Wow! Just wow! Not usually fond of artificial road-wear, but this is eye-catchingly awesome.

Brendan
08-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Some great comments there and thanks to our guest judge Chuck for his results...

So to the runner up...

Congratulations Dedman - another stunning build - the bridge and colours were amazing and it looks like a guitar that I'd love to keep.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Dedman/Full_zpsd9xhk70k.jpg

And the winner - ZeroMick - for a bunch of skeptics towards relic'd guitars, you're a true evangelist - congratulations!

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz63/tipposcycles/01_zpsgc8i5ixx.jpg

wazkelly
08-05-2017, 09:03 PM
Congrats Mick and Dedman as runner up. Tough job judging this month and there were so many high quality axes to compete with.

Cheers, Waz

Dedman
08-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Congrats Mick, I think everyone was a runner up this month, some awesome axes being built here. Ty Judges.

kawaokie
08-05-2017, 10:10 PM
Atta boy Mick and Dedman. Both are fantastic! It was a pleasure and an honor to be in with this group.

Andy40
09-05-2017, 04:04 AM
Well done Mick and Deddy, much deserved.

CascadiaGuitarGeek
09-05-2017, 04:23 AM
Congratulations Mick, Dedman, and all of this month's participants. It was one hell of a guitar collection on display.

billb
09-05-2017, 04:42 AM
Incredible work all and extra congratulations to Mick and Dedman!

wokkaboy
09-05-2017, 07:17 AM
Congratulations Mick and Deddy. Was very tough to judge. All other entries were of a high standard. Is that your 2nd GOTM Mick?

Fuzzbeard
09-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Congratulations Mick and Dedman! Some very nice guitar from everyone this month

FrankenWashie
09-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Congratulations to both Dedman and Zeromick, wonderful work in both builds. Congrats to the lot of you as this had to be one of the best turned out GOTM herds for a wee while as well.
<standing and applauding>

stan
09-05-2017, 09:18 AM
This months guitar were exceptional, well done all

Zero Mick - you have shown us that relic guitars are awesome when done right.

Dedman - You have shown me that the ES2 is my next kit (and I have a spalted LP yet to start, but next purchase is one of these)...

andrewdosborne
09-05-2017, 09:59 AM
What can I say another month of awesome entries and well done Zero Mick. I'm not usually a fan of relic guitars - that all changed with this one! Dedman - another beauty

zeromick
09-05-2017, 10:04 AM
*expletive*

To say this was unexpected would be an understatement... and to think I almost didn't bother entering haha.
yeah wow... cheers guys I was sure Fuzz's ES would knock my scrappy little LP jnr out for 6 (I'm not mentioning Dedmans ES because even the thought of that thing has me lusting so bad it's criminal haha)

thanks to the judges, wasn't sure if the finer details would be picked up... especially the fact that you need to do a quality job on the finish before relicing (seems counter intuitive I know) and for the nod to the old ways of Fenders paintshop doing colours over average sunbursts, this was my inspiration... but on a Gibson style guitar.

should pull my finger out and do a sound demo now....

ThreeBbass
09-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Congratulations Mick & Deadman!
Both very deserving ... the attention to detail is brilliant on both.
I'm sure that you're going to be inspiring a bunch of other builders to take it to the next level!
:cool:

Fretworn
09-05-2017, 03:42 PM
Congratulations to you all. In a different month GeeGal or Fuzzbeard would have romped home. The quality is getting unreal for a bunch of amateurs.

Andy40
09-05-2017, 04:36 PM
should pull my finger out and do a sound demo now....

You shall!

Brendan
09-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Couple of more comments from a judge - after a break in communications somewhere, half of the comments were lost, but I think its good to add these to the discussion. I can't stitch them into the previous comments without blowing the 10,000 word limit on a post...

1. Scott Davis' TL-1: Very country themed Barbed Wire Tele. Looks like a textured paint was used for the finish and complimented with a black pearloid scratch plate. Barbed wire pin striping looks good and like the ‘Sluggo’ headstock logo. Just need to remove the plastic dots off the back of the tuners.
2. ThreeBBass' PBA-5: Nice clean natural lines reminiscent of a Maton JB4 with the 3 knobs and a mini switch. Kudos for reshaping the headstock and adding Hipshot string guides and D-extender tuner. Plenty of other tasty upgrades too.
3. DJP's LP-1S: Another fine example of how good these spalted top LP’s look in a natural finish. Neck looks a fair bit shinier than the body which appears to have a more stain appearance. Slight points deduction for using standard truss rod cover.
4. Fuzzbeard's ES-1G: Took a while to complete but well worth the wait. Love the sweet honey burst which gives this axe an aged or antique look. Nice upgrades but the only thing missing was a logo.
5. Gee-Gal's TL-1: Menacing looking Red Back inspired theme that Peter Parker would be proud of. Impressed with the intricate headstock carving plus the spider carving placed on top of the body too. Finish on rear of body looks a bit rough near the lower bout. No logo but hey, no room for one on that headstock. Some interesting hardware upgrades too.

Kick
10-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Congrats guys!

Gee-Gal
12-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Congratulations Zeromick and Deadman well done! Thanks to all for the constructive comments. I have to say I never realised how much work is involved in building a guitar. I am teaching myself to carve and thought a guitar body would be pretty cool. Now Im hooked! I have so much more to learn. Cheers guys.

DJP
14-05-2017, 06:21 AM
Mick and Dedman ..... very beautiful guitars. Congratulations. Well deserved.

euroa guitars
06-06-2017, 09:45 AM
This is my first guitar. TL-1 Kit, Hand carved 3D Redback Spider and carved headstock with Pyrography finish and web on the back.
Schaller tuners, Camel bone nut, Lipstick humbucker in neck position, Babicz full contact bridge and Tone rider single coil pickup, Spider neck plate from Texas, Stirling silver spider knobs from Canada and Guitar sauce vintage wiring kit.
I think thats everything, hope the pictures came up ok.
I finished the spider and the headstock in clear Gloss with the rest of the guitar is natural timber in Satin to help make the big girl stand out.

Just had an opportunity to see this ax up close and do a little work on it, gotta say the carving of the top is amazing...must have taken hours! More patience than me I'm afraid, well done Gee-gal

FrankenWashie
06-06-2017, 10:05 AM
That's really cool! Great to see the forum supporting the forum on and offline!

teamjeffo
30-09-2017, 08:53 PM
hat... ring... thrown...

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz63/tipposcycles/01_zpsgc8i5ixx.jpg (http://s814.photobucket.com/user/tipposcycles/media/01_zpsgc8i5ixx.jpg.html)

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz63/tipposcycles/02_zpszakte78a.jpg (http://s814.photobucket.com/user/tipposcycles/media/02_zpszakte78a.jpg.html)

Wow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan
21-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Just preppin' for GOTY guys - watch this space!