PDA

View Full Version : Frankfurt Musikmesse

adam
01-04-2017, 07:05 PM
I'll be in Frankfurt next week for the Musikmesse; the big Musical Instrument and Pro Audio (and Lighting) Show they hold every year.

Our kit supplier will be there along with a few of our other smaller suppliers. I will be meeting with them to discuss business and future directions.

If you want me to raise any major issues or strategic ideas (not minor problems or new kit ideas we can email them about) while I'm there, please let me know here.

I'll try and sort out the Baritone kits and Custom Order problems (delays and getting them right) and also talk about a few new finished guitars we are looking at.

So... any Blue Sky, Strategic thinking here on the Forum? (sorry, but I do still work in the Public Service).

Simon Barden
01-04-2017, 07:36 PM
I know a lot is down to the skills of each individual employee and their least skilled worker will set the quality standard, but there are certain areas that I think could be improved without too much effort.

One is the number of glue spots - especially on the thin veneer tops where sanding them off is a very risky business. Plus a lot of builders who aren't on the forum don't get warned about them so if they try and stain, rather than paint, their guitars and get marks where the glue won't take the stain. If they can't, then is their any possibility that they could use a slightly thicker veneer instead - say 1.0mm instead of 0.6mm, which would allow people to sand the tops without quite so much fear of breaking through the veneer? Or else they use a more waterproof PVA (like Titebond 2 or even 3) as long as they can avoid getting glue spots on the veneer (as it would be harder to remove). This would also make the tops easer to stain with water-based stains.

The other is getting the veneer join central and not at an angle, which greatly improves the look of a guitar and increases the overall quality of the kit. Drawing a centre-line and matching the veneer up to it isn't rocket science. I don't know if they do this but it then it gets put in a vacuum press to clamp the glue, (which is when maybe it moves the join out of alignment), but obviously a nice strait join would be good.

Kick
02-04-2017, 06:00 PM
I totally agree with Simon because I'm looking at a beautifull quilt but with horrible glue spots. And I already mailed you Adam about my joint of the veneer being off angle.

If you want I can mail you some detailed pictures that you can show to the manufactorer. Honestly, for me its a big letdown at this moment...

Andy40
06-04-2017, 06:43 PM
How are we going with the amp situation?:p

Kick
13-04-2017, 12:56 AM
Hi Adam, is there anything to share on your meeting with the manufacturer?

Brendan
13-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Kick - last I saw yesterday, he's still in Europe. He should be back in a couple of days and I'm sure that there'll be an update!

Kick
13-04-2017, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the info Brendan :) I'll just wait for him to respond after he's back and settled again.

Brendan
14-04-2017, 12:23 PM
I think he'll be keen to share - sounds like it was a good couple of days.

Simon Barden
14-04-2017, 04:47 PM
...if he can remember any of it!

Kick
17-04-2017, 08:18 PM
It looks he has forgotten all about it ;)

dave.king1
17-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Still Easter here in Oz so will probably give us an update something after 9am Tuesday WA time so maybe in about 14 hours from now

adam
18-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Hey all, made it back alive and now struggling through a "few" emails I didn't get to on my phone whilst overseas.

The Musikmesse was massive, loud, well organised, but a little disappointing tbh. I think maybe I'm just not a trade show kind of guy. Looked like a lot of bored people sitting at stands, playing with their phones, waiting for someone to talk to them.

I was trying to talk to our main supplier (kits) and there was guy testing out a drum kit (badly) about 10 feet away! As if the language barrier wasn't bad enough...

I did manage to get all of our key issues across; two piece bodies; thicker veneers; glue spots; etc.

I also found another kit/finished guitar supplier whose work looks very good... and their sales rep's English was impeccable, which is a huge plus. So, some samples will be ordered.

I've got some photos, which I will post when I find some that are in focus. I must have got some Schnitzel grease on my phone's camera lens, so the photos I saw last night are all potato quality.

Anyone looking for a fantastic (visually stunning, fascinating) holiday destination... Dresden. Highlight of the trip.

pablopepper
18-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Big trade shows are always a bit like that.

I bet the schnitzels were worth it.

Brendan
18-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Great news! Look forward to catching up!

Simon Barden
18-04-2017, 04:46 PM
I was in Frankfurt on business about 5 years ago when the Music Messe was on. Several music related companies were staying at the same hotel as I was; Focusrite and Line 6 were the ones I can remember. The hotel restaurant had a piano in it and the Line 6 guys ended up trying to play and sing songs on it. For a music orientated company, I've never heard such bad singing!

Kick
18-04-2017, 07:07 PM
I'm looking forward to see examples of the other kit supplier :)

Rabbitz
19-04-2017, 07:44 AM
I was in Frankfurt on business about 5 years ago when the Music Messe was on. Several music related companies were staying at the same hotel as I was; Focusrite and Line 6 were the ones I can remember. The hotel restaurant had a piano in it and the Line 6 guys ended up trying to play and sing songs on it. For a music orientated company, I've never heard such bad singing!

If it was like any trade show I've been to, the singing may have been as a result of one beer too many...

:)

Simon Barden
19-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Definitely several beers too many.

Dedman
19-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Happy to take your place next time Adam ! ;) :p