PDA

View Full Version : Fender Mustang Bass

Gorath
30-03-2017, 10:08 PM
You know... like what Bill Wyman used for a while? Shortscale Fender Bass

king casey
31-03-2017, 03:58 AM
Huh? Soon as I write a mention about one of these it pops up in another thread.
BTW I spent my youth growing up in Perth.
cheers, Mark.

P.S. If there was such a kit on offer I'd buy it like greased lightning.

burngeorgesbush
16-05-2017, 06:10 PM
If you are serious about it there's a few options. Squire has the bronco bass which is pretty similar and can be modded to mustang specs with good results. It's kinda more expensive than a kit build but a good option and broncos do get fairly decent reviews.

With prices of around $400 Aus in Australia it's too high to really justify. Personally think $250 about right to make it worth it when you take into account that you can get a MIJ mustang for $620.

You can order a 30 inch scale neck with pit bull so a short scale p bass is definitely a possibility but would have to get the exact dimensions of a mustang to see if there's a possibility to modify an existing kit or if not maybe start from a body blank. Personally would buy one myself as I have a little girl so would love to make her a bass.

king casey
16-05-2017, 06:35 PM
I'm hearing ya burngeorgesbush (matches anyone?).
I bought a Squier Bronco bass for my daughter. From Pat's Music for $299.00 brand new.
I took her around to the Bass Centre and she was keen on a white Mustang.

When she aint looking I've been have a whale of a time on it.
Seen the modding that's been done on these in the U.S. and would be really keen to get one of my own.

If it's cheap enough. Saw Cash Converters had one up in Queensland for $199.00 but didn't want to ship it.

So....patiently waiting for one of 2 scenario's
a. If one of these shows up second hand on the local market.
b. Pitbull Guitars come up with a Mustang/Jaguar/Musicmaster equivalent.

P.S. can't go past this Japanese guy ripping away at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9PFyNd_Q5A
cheers, Mark.

burngeorgesbush
16-05-2017, 07:00 PM
They definitely aren't majorly common so not holding my breath for one coming up second hand. Also they do seem to be keepers so that probably keeps them from being easily available. Add in that they are usually more expensive than a copy of a p and you got a reasonably rare bass.

But you do do have a bronco so there's a body that you can measure. Don't know your skill set but there's definitely a possibility of working from a blank to replicate. Would definitely be easier though if a kit is available.

But you can understand that for it to be possible that pit bull needs to be confident that they can sell 100 other wise it's just a no go. I reckon they would but it's definitely a niche and not going to be a top seller.

Dedman
16-05-2017, 07:12 PM
you could probably get a offset body and a 30inch neck from Pitbull on special order with just the neck pocket routed, then either rout the pickups yourself or get DB to do it.

king casey
16-05-2017, 07:19 PM
I'm not holding my breath, it could be a long wait.
They seem to be aimed squarely at the 'part-time' bass playing guitarist.
You mean there's been 100 Hofner beatle basses holding down the floor?

cheers, Mark

Edit: Do they have short scale necks? Didn't see any on the Pitbull Neck page.

Simon Barden
16-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Yes, the Hofner violin basses have 30" necks. Probably not sold separately as they are glued-in necks, so not suitable for fitting to another bass (without a lot of work).

king casey
16-05-2017, 07:54 PM
Yes, the Hofner violin basses have 30" necks. Probably not sold separately as they are glued-in necks, so not suitable for fitting to another bass (without a lot of work).

The headstock would be show-stopper too.

cheers, Mark.

burngeorgesbush
16-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Basically the main restriction is just body shape. There's custom options available to choose from if you want on this page. 30 inch necks are available and pretty sure that they aren't just set neck. TBH I would definitely buy one if it was available and ok price (that's assuming that the kit I bought already is good).

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/custom-guitar-kits/

Dedman
16-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Drop Adam an email, you may be surprised at what can be done on a custom order.

king casey
16-05-2017, 08:20 PM
Thanks for pointing that page out george.

Basically the main restriction is just body shape.

De ja Vu. :) A body without a neck?

cheers, Mark.

burngeorgesbush
16-05-2017, 08:42 PM
No worries. Like I said if you have a bronco and you are keen all you need is a blank and a neck and tools to cut out your shape

king casey
16-05-2017, 09:03 PM
No worries. Like I said if you have a bronco and you are keen all you need is a blank and a neck and tools to cut out your shape

So far I've got the 'keen' part. :)
Thanks Dedman. When I've formulated a plan I'll be sending Adam an email.

cheers, Mark.

burngeorgesbush
16-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Once I got my 2 p bass builds done I will probably want to do a mustang. But I do have a short scale Hagstrom bass from around 73 that needs a lot of work so I might just finish that off. The mustang is definitely a cool design though and is definitely getting more attention nowadays. Attitudes towards short scale basses being beginners or for guitarists are changing and they are being taken seriously.

TBH it would also be interesting to see 34" scale mustangs being an option and being made. With the skinny body it would look really cool with a long neck

king casey
28-05-2017, 07:05 PM
Well it never rains, but it pours...
Decided to order a short scale neck as the budget for a whole kit isn't viable at the moment.
It won't show up until August so that gives me plenty of time to work out a solution for the rest.

Meanwhile a used Squier Bronco shows up fairly local on the Gumtree.
Put in a conservative offer which was accepted.
Now Ive got TWO short scale basses in the modding pipeline.

cheers, Mark.

burngeorgesbush
01-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Jealous! Just google "squire bronco bass mods". It's definitely a popular model with modders. Seen plenty of mustang builds from these and assorted others. locally all I've found is a full price new one (a little over $400).

king casey
01-06-2017, 08:59 AM
G'day George.
When I took the neck off, the manufacture date was May 2013. Serial no: in the 30,000 range.
The serial no: on the one I bought for my daughter early this year was 62,000 range.
Hardly rare, so the odds of picking one up second hand should be pretty good.

cheers, Mark.

P.S. Yes I did see that modding Bronco Forum and what got me wanting one for myself.

So let the process begin :)

burngeorgesbush
01-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Definitely not rare, but not super common either. For a stock model I would be looking at around the $200 mark at the most. Considering that all the hardware would need replacement, paint stripped and refinished. My daughter is only 3 and a half so not in a massive hurry. Plus I probably should just get onto my hagstrom bass first as it's been a few years and it's vintage (73)

king casey
06-06-2017, 08:24 AM
I'll be upgrading the electrics when the budget has been returned to surplus.
Meanwhile the first 'cosmetic' stage has been reached.

cheers, Mark.

lastmarmot
13-10-2017, 05:39 AM
I made an account and bumped this thread just to show you guys this:

"Hi Evan,

You must’ve been reading my mind mate, I ordered some Mustang style basses (3/4 scale, 30”) a few weeks ago and they should be here mid-next month.

I don’t have many details, but they should be under AU$200 (maybe AU$185?).

Keep an eye on the site and our Community Forum.

Cheers
Adam"

Yup thats right, Mustang bass kits coming as soon as next month !!

Bass Guy
13-10-2017, 05:43 AM
Oo! Rather tempting...again!...

king casey
13-10-2017, 06:32 AM
Probably a tad late for me. I'm really digging the Bronco.
I have a 30" rosewood neck and 'mustang' shaped body as a future project.

However, with all the obsessive guitar builders out there I reckon these things will be marching off the shelf.

cheers, Mark.