PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

Cannibalchris
26-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Am I the only one that has been trying to finish their guitar for the past 4 months? I can be abit of a perfectionist but I just can't seem to get a good final coat down that I'm happy with. Iv tried everything, spray varnish, using a spray gun and I'm finally on to wipe on cause it doesn't matter how much I clean, blow down the area I always get spots of fluff or dust and lumpy bits in it. It's starting to drive me crazy now 😡

wazkelly
26-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Hi there.

Presume your name might be Chris? Check out Frankenwashie as he has some builds that have been going on for way longer than yours.

With the weather we have had on the east coast since before xmas that may have added some degree of difficulty in achieving a perfect finish Most builds seem to take between 4 - 6 months from the time the box arrives to playable finished item, sometimes longer as each build is another lesson in life as not everything goes to plan.

With the spots of fluff we have all been there at some stage and share your frustration. Just takes a bit more delicate wet sanding to remove and then add another coat where at some stage it becomes good enough to do the final polishing.

I just wet sanded my latest right up to 12,000 micro mesh and whilst wet it felt like glass and really smooth yet next day once fully dry it showed up slightly lower parts where the sanding hadn't touched which leaves me in the dilemma of either adding a bit more finish or go again through all the grit levels involved in the wet sanding process which is probably what I will end up doing. Was really looking forward to the final polish as hoping to finish it off this week but will need to be more patient. And yes, I too am a perfectionist but there comes a time where we may need to accept a level that is pretty damn good and move on otherwise these things feel cursed and will haunt you for ages.

Cheers, Waz

Cannibalchris
26-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Yeah it's chris, cannibalchris is just a stupid nickname form high school cause I love death metal that's just stuck with me haha

I'm in Adelaide and the weather has definitely made it more difficult, I think this week is gonna be the first full week under 30.

Yeah I need to take more time sanding, I may be a perfectionist but I'm also a very impatient person as well so it's a horrible mix. Being a cabinet maker and doing abit of work with solid timber and sanding 40+ hours a week at work doesn't really help with my patience with sanding either. I know it has to be done though, so I'll just keep learning from my mistakes and fighting on to get this explore finished

wazkelly
26-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Hi Chris, have you started a build diary yet as I couldn't find one?

Know what you mean about sanding and if that is what you do all day for a living it would be the last thing you want to get stuck into again as you walk in the door when you get home.

Wipe on finishes seem to be more forgiving but can sometimes take a bit longer. maybe thin it down a little bit so that it doesn't go on too thick and gooey as that will help with curing time and also seems to spread easier.

Cannibalchris
27-03-2017, 04:42 PM
No I didn't start one, I didn't know where to start and I'm have a very very basic knowledge of guitar. I couldn't even play a chord when I first started building my first one.

It's definitely easier at work, all I have to do is rough sand it and pass it on to the polish shop to finish it all off.

Okay thanks for that, I'll give it a go. Any suggestions are appreciated at the moment!

Andy40
27-03-2017, 05:18 PM
No Chris, you are not the only one. I am mid way sanding back my last kit as I was not happy with the finish:(

Its good to see that you care about the finish that much. Its going to last a long time on the guitar....take your time!!!!:cool:

FrankenWashie
27-03-2017, 06:23 PM
If it's any consolation Chris, I am on the third finish attempt on my EXA-1. Thankfully this time is only the front face of it, but the first attempt required sanding the entire body and neck back to bare wood after the finish coat.

wazkelly
27-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Yep, after another wet sanding session earlier tonight looks like I will need to apply a few more coats of TO to help event things out and also cover some parts that went back to bare timber. All part of the game.

wazkelly
27-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Hey Frankie, have you been sniffin some fumes as it looks like you double posted 2hrs 21mins apart???

Cheers, Waz

Edit: Ooops, it now looks like you must have deleted said post?

FrankenWashie
27-03-2017, 08:54 PM
Hey Frankie, have you been sniffin some fumes as it looks like you double posted 2hrs 21mins apart???

Cheers, Waz

Edit: Ooops, it now looks like you must have deleted said post?
Yeah, don't know what happened there, but I is fixed it. Possibly hit back on Ithingy and it reposted it. Dunno.

wazkelly
27-03-2017, 08:55 PM
And I thought I was going insane......one minute there was a double post and next thing it was gone.

Cannibalchris
29-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Well it definitely make me feel better knowing you guy who have done 5+ builds still have the same problem. My first build I rushed it cause I just wanted a guitar cause Iv never had one. But now I have something to practise on I'm more determined and patient to take my time and make this one look good

wokkaboy
29-03-2017, 08:47 AM
Hey Chris, I think everyone on the forum has had some sort of issues painting a guitar, for whatever reason.

As Frankie and Waz have said take your time, allow plenty of curing time between coats and careful wet sanding.Maybe you can find a better dust free environment for the guitar to hang just after it's been painted to avoid dust and particles sticking to the finish. Have you got a build diary of your current build ? would love to see some pics of the progress

Dedman
29-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Yup, weather has slowed my builds to a halt.

Don't worry too much about tiny bits of fluff and dust. The final sand before polishing will generally take those out. I spray outdoors most of the time so tiny bits of dust and pollen are inevitable but as I tend to pretty much sand most of the last coat of clear off before polishing, the dirt goes with it.

Guvna19
31-03-2017, 09:02 PM
Dust free environment, apparatus and product are essential. use a 400 micron filter at least for paint and thinner
fast dry products help minimise dust attraction upon drying.
not all products are designed to be polished.
light coats better than heavy , but product needs to 'wet out' not to be sprayed dry or sparingly but always evenly
different spray apparatus may require change to paint viscosity which affects ability to wet out.
use thinner only until product produces the micro misting as per spray design , spitting or orange peel finish means add more thinner, dry spray or lacking gloss means less thinner, experiment with ratios on test panel and mix and fliter enough product for full coating
weather is a factor but may affects drying time and not finish , what kind of product are u using ?