PDA

View Full Version : Master Tap for Three Tapped (3-wire) Single Coils?

B'Lark
25-03-2017, 06:31 PM
Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying a set of Duncan Quarter Pounds for my Strat, and likely getting the Tappable versions to be able to tame the output when I want to. I'm looking for wiring diagrams though, and all I can find is a couple of examples that use one switch per pickup.

I'm wondering if it is possible to do a Master coil tap for all three at once? Or does it have to be at least two switches? Or three?

dave.king1
25-03-2017, 06:49 PM
I'll be pulling the SD tapped stacked HBs out of my Strat in the next couple of days if you are interested.

I don't have them tapped and they have changed the character of the guitar completely, I have two other HB guitars and want my Hank B / James Wilsey sound back.

WeirdBits
25-03-2017, 07:29 PM
I think from memory there's a sneaky way using one push/pull combined with one side of a standard 5-way to split all three at once, but it would only work with a single tone pot (not two like a strat). I'll have a rummage around in my diagrams later and see what I can find, I think I sketched it out somewhere... but I could be delusional.

That being said, the simplest option is probably just to use two push/pulls, one to split the neck and middle and the other to split the bridge separately. Or, you could use a 3-4 pole mini-toggle to split all three at once.

B'Lark
25-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Just after I posted, I did actually look in to how the switches actually work, and I did think that a 3PDT toggle would do the job. I think that'll be the way to go.

So coming off of that, I do just want to confirm that I do know how it should be wired in. I looked up the SD diagram ( http://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/3STP_5W_3mtTP_1V_2T.pdf ) and from there I think I know how it goes, but just want to confirm, using my vast MS paint skills

If I'm following correctly, I could swap those three mini-toggles with a single 3 pole toggle wired like that, yeah?

Dave: I'm specifically lookin' for Quarter Pounds, so I'll pass on that. But thanks anyway!

WeirdBits
25-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Yep, replacing the three mini-toggles with a single 3PDT is fine, splitting all three at once with the one switch.

dave.king1
26-03-2017, 07:22 AM
No worries BL, just put it out there