PDA

View Full Version : tutorials on scraping binding

fender3x
24-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Any particularly recommended videos on scraping binding. Also curious about preferred tools for this, and how to make it as idiot proof as possible. I masked, but there are places where paint/stain leaked through. The StewMac vids make it look really easy, but it's been such a long road to getting the finish half way acceptable...

Simon Barden
25-03-2017, 03:33 AM
I've seen several videos, and they all make it look ridiculously easy. The main thing I think, is not too let the lacquer/paint dry too long after you've finished spraying all but the clear coats. The paint needs to be soft to scrape easily and the couple of times that I've done it, I've left it far too long. The last coat of paint/lacquer needs to be dry enough to touch without marking it (though I'd wear some thin latex or vinyl gloves to avoid fingerprints or grease), and then it should just peel off easily with a blade. the longer you leave it, the more it adheres to the binding and generally dries out so that you have to scrape it off in layers rather then in one go. Marking the depth of a craft-knife blade with masking tape is a good way not to take too much finish off and also help protect your fingers.

Zandit75
25-03-2017, 05:22 AM
This is probably one of the videos you mentioned Fender3x, but for those that may not have seen it before, perhaps it should be here .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbsZsSabPs

fender3x
25-03-2017, 08:29 AM
That's the video I have seen, and it sure looks easy at the hands of the great Gibson expert all right!

Too late for me to begin scraping fresh paint. Any thoughts on best tools?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Zandit75
25-03-2017, 09:22 AM
I just used a fresh stanley knife blade similar to the one used in the video for the really fine areas.
I used my finger tips in such a way to use them as a sliding guide around the edges.

dingobass
25-03-2017, 02:20 PM
I scrape the bindings after the final cut and polish, this way there usually isn't a lot to do as the process removes most of the offending finish.
Makes a tedious job a whole lot easier.