PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Cherry with accented darkened wood grain

Metalligun
18-03-2017, 08:01 PM
G'day there.
I am looking to stain my first project the heritage cherry that the Gibson SGs can come in but I want to accent the Basewood grain with a darkened look.
I've seen people on FB (more from DIY'ers) use black ink to darken the grain by way of applying it then either sanding the timber back to expose the grain or using a solvent to wipe the excess ink away.
My questions are, is there a preferred, tried and proven method to best darken a grain and is there a seller or sellers that are known for selling the heritage cherry stain?

Thanks!

ILRGuitars
20-03-2017, 04:29 AM
G'day mate. I used a wash of diluted Feast Weston Japan Black on my TL-1Q then gave it a light sand back. It has a thin veneer so only a light sand back is possible

Everyone has a method of darkening stain, as you will soon see. Some more complex than others, so it depends on what you are comfortable with, what equipment you have and how patient you are. My advice is: Do you research, test on some scrap wood first, then do what works for you.

Metalligun
20-03-2017, 10:37 AM
Thanks ILR.
Yep I'll keep up the research as I have a few months before my guitar comes in.
I'm just worried I'll do my head in with info overload. Sometimes I just need someone to say "go with that" and I'm in lol....
Thanks for the advice as well re the scrap sample wood. I'm looking so forward to the project :-D :-D

stan
20-03-2017, 11:48 AM
A black or dark stain first , then sand off. Put your colour over the top. As suggested , try a sample first : there go with that haha.
There are many ways , try a simple one that suits you and if it tests fine then run with it

Metalligun
20-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Haha thanks for the nudge Stan :-) I might go with that!