PDA

View Full Version : Strat Baritone Conversion Neck??

keloooe
11-03-2017, 08:14 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking to play some more heavier music and I feel a standard Strat scale length is too loose when tuning down with heavy strings, does anyone know of any decent bari conversion necks for a Strat (I don't mind if its 27, 28 or 29" scale). I know of the Warmoth necks but I feel I can find something a bit cheaper and closer to home. If there's a neck with a reverse headstock, that's even better!

Cheers guys!

captainbuff
11-03-2017, 08:53 AM
By 'heavier' what kind of music are you meaning...as in what compared to what...? Just out of interest and maybe I can help, I am halfway through rebuilding my Jackson Dinky that was my first 'decent' guitar - sentimental value only. However heavier to me is possibly different to you if you get me...hope that helps, not trying to be an ass [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keloooe
11-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Yeah all good cap sorry I wasn't clear, I'm thinking more like tuning down to drop A#, I'll link this video for what I'm going for (I came from a solid pop punk background)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Z7kUBJ2hY

FrankenWashie
11-03-2017, 09:55 AM
You can eBay some really nice laminated neck blanks, possibly build you own conversion neck if you are feeling adventurous?

captainbuff
11-03-2017, 10:18 AM
You can eBay some really nice laminated neck blanks, possibly build you own conversion neck if you are feeling adventurous?

Yeah took the words out of my mouth...I personally wouldn't use a Strat body. By all means have at it if it's your thing! Or if you are happy with it then find a decent cheapo Jackson/Epiphone/ESP or whatever and strip it down for the body and ditch the neck - pretty much exactly what I am doing for my Jackson Dinky. Only thing left is the body - and bolt on serial number plate of course!!

I may be off - and there would be dudes around here that definitely know more - but your scale might give you some real hassles. I assume by your lengths that you are going for 24 frets? Changing that from a Strat will throw the scale out and mean you have to change the bridge position; if indeed it can be done at all. Finding the absolute correct fingerboard for the Jackson took me ages and a couple of companies over east (I'm a Perth boy).

Just thoughts mate and if anything I'm saying is rubbish or not quite right then let me know!! [emoji106]
Peace
Josh

keloooe
11-03-2017, 10:29 AM
your scale might give you some real hassles. I assume by your lengths that you are going for 24 frets? Changing that from a Strat will throw the scale out and mean you have to change the bridge position

I wouldn't really build a neck myself, I'm not feeling THAT adventurous yet ;)
When it comes to the body, I like the weight of the body I'm using now and I like the nice red colour it has! For the scale length, I'm looking for a neck that can fit with the bridge position as it is, I know Warmoth do them but I'm seeing if theres anything within Aus first...

wokkaboy
11-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Pest I was lucky got DB to build my baritone neck. I'd have a look on ebay or check aliexpress.
here's some pics of DB's magic neck !

Brendan
11-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Pest I was lucky got DB to build my baritone neck. I'd have a look on ebay or check aliexpress.

Should've gone 7 string ;) .

captainbuff
11-03-2017, 06:58 PM

Man that is nice...beautiful work bro [emoji106] seconded with the info as well, FleaBay will be the safe bet. Goddam that bass is nice [emoji869]

captainbuff
11-03-2017, 07:00 PM
Should've gone 7 string ;) .

Also seconded [emoji23] throw some Meshuggah down [emoji15] hahaha
Peace guys
Josh

Simon Barden
12-03-2017, 08:22 AM
A replacement baritone neck for a Strat or Tele will assume that the bridge is in the standard Strat/Tele location and the frets are all positioned accordingly (you normally end up with 24 frets rather than 21 or 22 as a result). No movement of the bridge is required. So all that happens is that the pickups are all proportionally further towards the bridge than on a standard scale length guitar, so will have relatively less bass content.

A purpose designed baritone might have a 22 fret neck so the pickups are spaced out more. Then the neck pickup will be nearer that 22nd fret and have a lot more bass in the sound.

captainbuff
14-03-2017, 02:13 AM
A replacement baritone neck for a Strat or Tele will assume that the bridge is in the standard Strat/Tele location and the frets are all positioned accordingly (you normally end up with 24 frets rather than 21 or 22 as a result). No movement of the bridge is required. So all that happens is that the pickups are all proportionally further towards the bridge than on a standard scale length guitar, so will have relatively less bass content.

A purpose designed baritone might have a 22 fret neck so the pickups are spaced out more. Then the neck pickup will be nearer that 22nd fret and have a lot more bass in the sound.

Nice man, I personally appreciate the information and the instructions [emoji106] pretty much knew this but still like someone else backing up what I thought was the approach. Appreciated man [emoji869]
Peace
Josh

dingobass
16-03-2017, 10:45 AM

Slight correction there Woks..
That neck was one I built a while back for a PBG LPjnr body.. :D

wokkaboy
16-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Hey DB, I didn't tell the full story, but I came that day planning to start building a baritone neck and left with a pre-built one ! Most productive arvo I have ever done haha