PDA

View Full Version : New Component Test

adam
06-03-2017, 05:32 PM
So, I've been playing around with the Component tool again; which allows us to offer basic kits then give the customer upgrade options to select from.

I posted the last attempt a while back and got some great feedback, which I did incorporate or address.

If you have a minute to have a look and let me know what you think, it would be greatly appreciated. I think this variability is what really sets us apart from the (rapidly growing) competition, so it's important to get it right.

I've got this STA-1M all set up and it's live, so check it out.

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitars/pit-bull-guitars-sta-1m-ash-body-electric-guitar-kit/

Feel free to order one and select Cheque as the payment option, if you want to see how it looks actually buying one with all the trimmings. This will also help us to see how the orders come through for picking and packing.

Thanks for your help.

WeirdBits
06-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Are the pickguards supplied with the 'ST Loaded Pickguard...' upgrades the same as the PBG pickguards offered in the Pickguard Upgrade section?

For example, if selecting a 'ST Loaded Pickguard HSS - Black' in the Pickup Configuration Upgrade section does that use the same pickguard as the 'PBG ST style HSS - Black' offered in the Pickguard Upgrade section? If so, perhaps removing or disabling redundant options like that would reduce confusion.

Simon Barden
06-03-2017, 06:47 PM
One thing it has shown me is that on your Babicz bridge page, it would be a lot better to change the layout so all the Strat trems and fixed-tailpieces are all together and update the descriptions with a bit more info. I had to refer to the Babicz web page a lot to sort out in my mind what was going on. The fact the Strat trems were spread out made it a lot more confusing as I couldn't keep the visual references in sight because of having to scroll the page.

The FCH trems come in 2-point and 6-hole versions, and have a thickened, strengthened intonation adjustment screw mounting bar at the rear, plus side strengthening. There appears to be only one FCH 6-point trem available (on the BabicZ website), and that's a narrow version.

The FCH Z trems are more like the original strat trems, with the standard upwards-bent plate intonation adjustment screw mounting bar. Again these come in 2-point and 6-hole versions, but with the 6-hole version coming in wide and narrow versions.

Now I know this, it's (relatively) easy to understand. But rather than lay out the page purely alphabetically, it would make it much easier for everyone to understand if the layout went more like:

FCH 2-point B/C/G
FCH 6-hole Narrow B/C/G
FCH Z 2-point B/C/G
FCH Z 6-hole Narrow B/C/G
FCH Z 6-hole Wide B/C/G
FCH Fixed 6 Hardtail B/C/G
FCH Z Fixed 6 Hardtail B/C/G etc.

It just makes it a lot easier to understand what the range of options are.

And the Babicz bridges also have their own PBG web page and also appear on the general Upgrades> Bridges page, so I think some simple rearrangement of both pages would be beneficial.

Also - on the Babicz options list for the STA-1M, it just says "Babicz FCH Strat Tremolo" for the first three options, whereas the last three are Babicz FCH Z Series 6-Hole Tremolo Narrow". As FCH Strat Tremolo could refer to the 2-post or 6-hole version, it would preclude any confusion if the same level of description was given to the FCH version e.g. "Babicz FCH 6-Hole Tremolo Narrow". I'd use the 'narrow' description for both, otherwise people may misunderstand and think that you are simply paying more for a wider tremolo, and that it's a wide/narrow choice option, not an original or Z series option. It may seem obvious once you know, but if you don't, it is confusing.

Simon Barden
06-03-2017, 07:04 PM
FYI I'm still getting the total resetting to A$ every time I pick an option.

Simon Barden
06-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Also FYI, I'd check the prices on the BPG Babicz page for the FCH 2-point strat trems. Every other type has chrome cheapest, then black then gold. For these, the chrome is more expensive than the black. Doesn't seem right.

Simon Barden
06-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Any reason the Tonerider TRS2SET isn't on the pickup upgrades options list?

Simon Barden
06-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Otherwise all tested out OK to me.

It does let you order some conflicting items, but then again you might have wanted those items - say an HH loaded pickguard for this build and some discounted Tonerider pickups for another build.

My only other comments are that being in another country, are cheque payments OK?, (if not, could that option be blanked out if overseas) and that as I've selected GBP £ as my currency, the invoice payment reads in £, not A$, so if I did send you a cheque written in £ as a result, could you process it? Also, with the passage of time and the fluctuation of exchange rates, you may get a lot less/more than the invoice total as a result. Not an issue for credit card or Paypal as the total appears in $A.

adam
06-03-2017, 08:09 PM
Thanks Simon, yes, the software is not that sophisticated enough to adjust to only offer options based on previous options. So, if you order an HSH set up, it will still offer all the separate pickguards.

I think in 5 years I've had one order by cheque, so we could probably lose that option. I don't think it's an issue though.

Cheers for having a go at the product with options.

I'll send you the PayPal invoice for $445.18 in a minute :D

Simon Barden
06-03-2017, 09:00 PM
You Australians! ;)

Hobastard
06-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Looks pretty good from here Adam, I got very tempted to pull the trigger after designing my Kit.....
Especially with the kit on Sale.....

Looks like I will be pulling a few extra shifts this month, so you never know what might happen.......

Brendan
06-03-2017, 11:45 PM
Ads - have you ever had someone (other than Wokks :) ) buying more than one of the same kit at the same time? You may be able to get rid of that option.

Simon Barden
07-03-2017, 05:33 AM
Brendan's right. If you add any extras, setting the quantity to two also doubles all the extras, so it's very unlikely that you'd want to buy two kits (or more) with exactly the same extras (unless you had really bad OCD and had to buy everything in pairs). You can always add another kit to the basket.