PDA

View Full Version : New to Dingotone - couple of questions

wayne@bris
04-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Hi, I'm wanting to use Dingotone to finish a body made from Pine. I purchased it from an eBay seller in the US. It's North American Eastern Pine.

My questions:

1) Do I need to use Sanding Sealer on the Pine body before I use Dingotone or can Dingotone's first coat go straight onto Pine (once it's been sanded to 400)?

2) I want to get close to Fender/Gibson pastel colours - TV Yellow or Sonic Blue. Are there Dingotone colours that are close to TV Yellow or Sonic Blue? Can Dingtone get close to Fender Vintage White or Surf Green?

3) I've watched the YouTube videos that demonstrate how to use Dingotone, they recommend 0000 steel wool between the intensifying coat and the finish coat, is this still the case or do people now prefer wet/dry paper to steel wool? Do I use this between each coast of finishing coat?

4) I live in Brisbane. Is there anything special I need to do due to humidity?

Thanks in advance.

Brendan
04-03-2017, 01:22 PM
1. You should be fine with straight onto pine - I haven't used a sanding sealer on any of my guitars - made from basswood, ash, maple.
2. Whites are hard to do and I'm not certain there is a white. Ultimately colours will vary on how thick you put it on and can vary significantly with the wood it goes on (see photo below - same guitar, same sanding, same application, same stain (dingotone colourless), different effects for each piece of wood in the body).
3. Either will be fine - DingoBass (inventor of dingotone) uses steel wool - really what you are wanting to do is to make sure that there is something for the finish to attach to.
4. Should be fine - generally I'd monitor humidity - if its a bad day, don't stain that day, or get in the afternoon after the humidity drops. DingoBass monitors humidity with a sensor - I go by feel (he does a better job). DingoBass will also not stain if its too hot or humid that day. It may take a little longer for stain to dry when its humid, so be prepared to give it an extra couple of days if needed. Ultimately remember its not a race to finish a guitar - take your time and the outcome will be better.

Hope that helps.

Andy40
04-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Hi Wayne,

I live in Brisbane too and some may say i've used DT a fair bit, but I am not the man himself. these are just my tips.

Dingotone is a bit of an artform (as with any colour or finish).

I always use timbermate as a grain filler before staining with Dingotone (its not a must though). It can be a good option to use ebony timbermate to pop the grain, if that's what you are after.

The humidity in Brisbane only seems to affect the drying/curing time. It does not muck with the condition of the finish (like it does with painting). What i mean is, I have found that it doesn't matter how humid it is when you apply the coat, you just have to wait between 1 and 2 weeks for the coat to cure if its been humid.

The colours (White, TV Yellow or Sonic Blue) you have mentioned are solid paint. It doesn't matter what stain you get it will never be the same ....or close. It will just not meet your expectations and end in disappointment. I understand that Dingobass is in the process of developing some solid stains (Brendan may shed some light on the topic).

That being said, you can get some awesome results with the current Dingotone line up, they just don't look like paint. I would suggest checking out some of the build diaries where people have used Coolangatta Gold or Bondi Blue and you'll see what i am talking about.

Don't forget you can email dingobass and he can create a custom colour for you, I've done it and it turned out awesome.

Last but not least, I wet sand with 1200 grit and 2000 grit rather than using steel wool. I just works for me.;)

Happy travels fellow Brisvegan

wayne@bris
04-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Thanks very much for the replies, they were very helpful.

Brendan
04-03-2017, 07:28 PM
No probs - happy to help.

wokkaboy
14-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Hi Jody welcome to the forum. Can you please give us some more information. is that a 1964 Music Man ? what sort of timber is it and do you have to sand off the existing paint ?

adam
14-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Hi Jody welcome to the forum. Can you please give us some more information. is that a 1964 Music Man ? what sort of timber is it and do you have to sand off the existing paint ?

Wokka, I removed Jody's post from here, but she has one in the Black Stump thread.

wokkaboy
14-03-2017, 04:16 PM
no worries Ads, thought her post disappeared !