PDA

View Full Version : Make the JB-4 (and variants) pickups + routs standard size?

Simon Barden
02-03-2017, 04:44 PM
One thing that everyone making a JB-4 (and the variants of) has to do is fill and re-rout the fixing lug pockets for the pickups if they want to fit any after-market replacements. It also requires getting a new scratchplate.

Could you talk to the factory and see if they can find some standard-format pickups to supply with the kits in future, plus modifying the pickup routs and scratchplate to suit? It would make the upgrading easier for everyone and I'd bet that you'd sell more JB kits as a result.

Not everyone wants to take the time to fill and re-profile the lug pockets, though I'd bet a lot of people would like to fit their choice of pickups. If they'd checked on the build diaries on this forum, they'd have seen what was involved and a lot of people would be put off.

Cheers.

Brendan
02-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Good feedback Simon - I'll make sure Adam sees this.

Simon Barden
02-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Thanks Brendan!

andrewdosborne
03-03-2017, 05:30 AM
Yep agree with Simon, also a standard neck pup route on the Tele kits would be awesome :)

wazkelly
03-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Good points raised here and 2nd the motion for neck PUP routs on both J Bass & Tele's to be sized to match a traditional single coil rather than the oversized holes they presently come with. It would be nice to have a choice to go 'naked' and ditch the scratch plate on either of these kits but not possible without making these changes.

WeirdBits
03-03-2017, 07:09 PM
The YB-4 JB bridge pup rout too.

Hobastard
06-03-2017, 04:47 AM
Plus One on that. I hate Pickguard but I love Wood.