PDA

View Full Version : LP Bass

cade711
25-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Flicked back about 10 pages and didn't see an obvious thread suggesting this so sorry if if i missed one.
But, would love to see a 4 string kit with one of those stunning LP bodies. The build threads on the 6 strings around here are causing me to turn green with jealousy.

wazkelly
25-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Hi Cade, Custom order might be the only way to get one.

Mind you, I reckon a LP body with SG Bass Neck might work as the original is 30.5" scale, same as the SG kit. Would have to find the 4 saddle TOM bridge & tail stop piece somewhere.

Dedman
25-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Zemantis do some awesome LP basses.Gives an LP fan like myself ideas

wazkelly
25-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Front sections seem to be a bit more exaggerated on that Zemantis or the waistline is slimmer, or maybe both.

Amazing binding but not a fan of the 3 anchor point bridge. Must be a flat top rather than curved/carved as those 3 pointers don't sit too well on anything that is not totally flat like the SG or Thunderbird.

cade711
26-02-2017, 04:45 AM
Nice Bass there Dedman.
Waz that pic is mostly what I had in mind, Black LP gold hardware. I'm too impatient to wait for a custom order, unless somehow this suggestion gets picked up and becomes a factory option? Nudge nudge... haha

wazkelly
26-02-2017, 06:31 PM
I reckon you could ask Adam about getting a SGB-34 kit and swap body for one from LP-1 kit. Would only require a different bridge to line up with the pre drilled TOM holes on the LP body. Remainder hardware should all fit except for jack plate as SG is mounted on top of body whereas LP has a plate on the bottom edge.

Gold hardware might be hard to find, particularly so for Bass pickups. Even if you do, they could end up costing a motza.

ozzbike
26-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Real Parts have this stop tail piece....

http://www.realparts.com.au/bridges-tailpieces/stop-tailpieces/bass-stop-tailpiece-chrome.html

They also have this tune o matic bridge....

http://www.realparts.com.au/bridges-tailpieces/bass/bass-tunematic-chrome.html

What a great kit idea. You could have flame top....carve top....quilt top.....spalt top....nice.

wazkelly
26-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Well done Ozzie. Stop tail piece centre measurements are about the same however 6 string guitar is 74mm vs that Bass one at 85mm? Post holes may therefore need to be re-drilled and old ones plugged?

Hey Cade, nothing holding you back now other than finding someone to gold plate the hardware.

cade711
27-02-2017, 02:46 AM
Thanks Ozz and Waz! Some pretty tempting info and possibilities right there

smeggles
30-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Hi Cade, Custom order might be the only way to get one.

Mind you, I reckon a LP body with SG Bass Neck might work as the original is 30.5" scale, same as the SG kit. Would have to find the 4 saddle TOM bridge & tail stop piece somewhere.

in 1974 i had an Ibanez version of it wine red with black oval pickups and gold knobs .... and i would like it replicated because i cannot find one anywhere..

Simon Barden
30-03-2017, 06:27 PM
The oval pickups indicate it was either a copy of a Les Paul bass ('69-'71) and often called a 'Professional' because of its similarity to the Les Paul Professional guitar:

Or the '71-'82 Les Paul Triumph bass:

Both came with low-impedance humbucking pickups. The LP bass had a low impedance output only, so had to be used with either Gibson's dedicated low impedance bass amp, or an in-line matching transformer located at the input to a normal bass amp (you can get similar low/high transformers for mics). The Triumph came with an inbuilt matching transformer and a high/low impedance output switch.

The LP bass was very heavy as it was primarily driven by recording considerations (it was presumed it would be played sitting down). The Triumph was a lot lighter. Both had a 30.5" scale. The low-impedance design was pushed by Les Paul himself (like all the low-impedance guitars Gibson made). Les was a big fan of clean guitar sounds and rather forced Gibson to make the low impedance guitars and basses in order so that Gibson could still use his name on the new LP line ('68 onwards), even though a clean sounding Les Paul was not what most people wanted and they never sold that many.

They had a three position "tone selector" switch, three position pickup selector switch a phase switch (when both pickups on) plus passive treble and bass controls. Here, Gibson were showing off their know-how with passive inductor, capacitor and resistor tone-shaping circuits, similar to those used on the ES-345 and ES-355 guitars. They were reportedly very good basses with a very wide range of sounds.

Ibanez first made a Les Paul style bass, but with standard pickups and a LP guitar style 2 x Volume, 2 x Tone controls. http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1971/17.jpg

But then from around '71 they also made copies of the two low impedance models. http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1971/15.jpg (http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1971/15.jpg). All the Ibanez bases had bolt-on necks.

Which version was yours, Smeggles?

smeggles
31-03-2017, 04:50 PM
The oval pickups indicate it was either a copy of a Les Paul bass ('69-'71) and often called a 'Professional' because of its similarity to the Les Paul Professional guitar:

Or the '71-'82 Les Paul Triumph bass:

Both came with low-impedance humbucking pickups. The LP bass had a low impedance output only, so had to be used with either Gibson's dedicated low impedance bass amp, or an in-line matching transformer located at the input to a normal bass amp (you can get similar low/high transformers for mics). The Triumph came with an inbuilt matching transformer and a high/low impedance output switch.

The LP bass was very heavy as it was primarily driven by recording considerations (it was presumed it would be played sitting down). The Triumph was a lot lighter. Both had a 30.5" scale. The low-impedance design was pushed by Les Paul himself (like all the low-impedance guitars Gibson made). Les was a big fan of clean guitar sounds and rather forced Gibson to make the low impedance guitars and basses in order so that Gibson could still use his name on the new LP line ('68 onwards), even though a clean sounding Les Paul was not what most people wanted and they never sold that many.

They had a three position "tone selector" switch, three position pickup selector switch a phase switch (when both pickups on) plus passive treble and bass controls. Here, Gibson were showing off their know-how with passive inductor, capacitor and resistor tone-shaping circuits, similar to those used on the ES-345 and ES-355 guitars. They were reportedly very good basses with a very wide range of sounds.

Ibanez first made a Les Paul style bass, but with standard pickups and a LP guitar style 2 x Volume, 2 x Tone controls. http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1971/17.jpg

But then from around '71 they also made copies of the two low impedance models. http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1971/15.jpg (http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1971/15.jpg). All the Ibanez bases had bolt-on necks.

Which version was yours, Smeggles?

Hi Simon thankyou for the very useful information i found it great reading.
mine was the wine red one in the second group photo and mine didnt have the bank of switches but still had the upper pickup switch it had four knobs two tone one for each pickup and two volume of the gold plastic les paul type
it came with licorice strings from new and me being a rather large lad didnt feel that heavy.. it was stolen from a house my wife and i rented in 1979 and i couldnt find another one so i bought an ibanez fender precision bass.. but never really got my head around it like i did the gibbo ..

Simon Barden
31-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Ah, the pain of stolen guitars. I had a Yamaha SG3000 and a Fender acoustic stolen from the boot of my car in separate incidents. I still miss the SG.

smeggles
19-04-2017, 03:56 PM
hey guys i was wondering if the custom guitar side of things knows whether an SG bass neck could be adapted to fit a Les Paul body and if so i would like to purchase one if that is possible ... if that is so the rest of the parts list can be worked out once i know it can be done..thanks in advance for any info that comes my way... smeggles.