PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Case for ES 125 build

Steve Mars
23-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Has anyone been able to track down a reasonable, good enough or better case for an ES-125?

If so please let me know...I am somewhat dubious about comments I have read that a 175 case would also suit a 125.

regards

Steve Mars

wazkelly
23-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Pics on google for ES125 show something similar to PBG ES-5V which has single neck PUP and no cutaways and then other pics which look similar to PBG ES-2V which to me looks a close match to ES175. A case for ES335 might work too.

On prior build threads going way back someone mentioned that large bodied acoustic guitar cases are the go for these babies. You may need to take the kit into a guitar shop to what it fits into. Had to do the same on my EX-5 before realising no hard cases available in OZ that were big enough so ended up with a gig bag from Amazon that came from USA.

Simon Barden
23-02-2017, 10:41 PM
ES-335 cases will be too thin. I've got a Gator 335 case and there simply isn't enough depth in it, especially as the shaped padding thins the case around the neck joint area. It would probably fit an ES-125T or TC but not the full-fat version.

TKL do an expensive generic archtop hard case, but you'll need to do some measuring on the guitar before buying anything remotely. There is an Ibanez AFC100C case for the Ibanez archtop jazz series of guitars (case made by TKL) which should fit - but youd need to find some dimensions of the Ibanez AF range and see how comparable they are.

stan
24-02-2017, 06:08 AM
What about a standard acoustic guitar case, you could pad it out if it was too big...

Dedman
24-02-2017, 02:51 PM
I tried my ES5 in my Gretsch case (thinline) way too thin, also been keeping an eye out for a hard case for it.

corsair
24-02-2017, 06:45 PM
How about building one? I've built 2 now for my oddly shaped guitars and it's really not that difficult...

wazkelly
24-02-2017, 07:01 PM
I tried my ES5 in my Gretsch case (thinline) way too thin, also been keeping an eye out for a hard case for it.

OK, so that establishes that this is a thick body and not a thin bodied single cutaway ES125 lookalike. Regular acoustic guitar hard case should be the go as they are deeper and outside dimensions should

Building one is an option but you can buy cheaper than what it costs just for materials.

Dedman
24-02-2017, 07:19 PM
double post

Dedman
24-02-2017, 07:20 PM
my prob is I always over build stuff, then I need a team of sherpa's with yaks to move stuff.

corsair
25-02-2017, 06:15 AM
In my case (!?), building one was the cheapest option; the ply cost bugger-all - 1 sheet of 3ply @ about $21/sheet, scrap timber was used for bracing and sides and I picked up an unfinished roll of vinyl off eBay for pennies. The major cost was the form fitted foam insert but even that wasn't especially expensive from your friendly local rubber shop! I used a sound proofing type foam rubber that is quite dense and easily workable, and cost - from memory, about $25.

Hell, yes, it's heavy! But not unmanageable.

By contrast, the cheapest case I could find to fit my pointies was the Gator Extreme with the movable internal blocks which was eye-wateringly expensive and not available in Australia at the time!

However, yes; if your guitar is not a weirdo shape, then a generic case will be cheaper than building one...

wazkelly
25-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Hi Corsair, fully understand as I very nearly embarked upon such a project for the EX-5 however I would have used thicker ply, at least 5mm-6mm as there would have been too much flex using 3mm for the over 135mm length required. Weight would have been an issue too as the Epiphone case for my EX-1 six stringer is big and heavy. In fact the EX-5 does just fit but rubbing on the extremities which poses a risk of snapping the pointy end off the headstock under any sort of bump. Gig bag was about $80 odd once it was freighted from USA. Custom cases worked out more expensive than the completed bass with all of it's expensive upgrades taken into consideration too.

Maybe Caravan manufacturers have something more lightweight yet still strong enough to work with? Hmmm, might look into that one day once all current projects have been completed.

Cheers, Waz