PDA

View Full Version : Nearly finishing sanding...more questions

Steve Mars
16-02-2017, 05:23 PM
As I get to the stage where I decide how much more sanding I will do I have a few questions, my build is an E-5V (based on 1940's Arch top Gibson)
1) Around the base of the neck where it joins the body how much time should I spend 'rounding off' the corners...I sort of keep looking at my 335 for comparison but given it is not as deep this bit is not really comparable.
2) I am trying very hard not to sand where the neck fits inside the body to keep the fit as tight as possible. Is that right?
3)Was planning to sand up through 600, 800, 1200 then steel wool but it seems this is not the preferred course of action? Any comments?
4)Shielding the pick-ups. Is that recommended for this model? I do want it to sound as smooth as possible a la early Kenny Burrell,Oscar Moore etc
5) When I commence the Dingotone phase am planning to hang the body and neck separately as I apply the finish for stage 1 and 2 so that there they are not touching any surface while they dry. It is then my intention to join them so that when I apply the final coat(s) the join around where the body joins the neck look like it is done as one job (again using my 335 for comparison) Will hang the guitar for this phase as well. (Yes I know I have had some opinions on this matter previously, but just in case there are any further thoughts.
6) Am assuming I apply the Dingotone to the fret board, all three stages but just to be on the safe side, is that right?

I actually hung off starting my project in case one or a couple of kids at the local high school wanted to come along for the ride and if so allow them to see the whole process...sadly had no takers...but have enjoyed the sanding process just so much, loving it and can already considering what will be my next project...of course the only problem is that it does take away from actual guitar practice, which this drummer desperately needs.

Anyway thanks in anticipation of thoughtful answers.

Steve from Triabunna

Brendan
16-02-2017, 06:20 PM
1. Not sure what you're meaning - maybe a photo may help?
2. Yhep - that's right - nice and tight's good.
3. If you're going Dingotone as a stain, keep down below the 400 grit mark. If you go past 400 grit, you run the risk of polishing the wood and limiting the ability for the stain to penetrate. Light steel wool after coats to get better adhesion and keep it nice and smooth and you'll be apples.
4. Not sure how you can shield this one... I think if you got very keen, you could build a tray out of alfoil or something like that for the pup to sit in. As far as I know, its generally its not done on hollowbodies - one of the limitations of that style of guitar.
5. The Dingotone will provide a very thin coat. I'm not sure you'll see much difference either way... It may also be difficult to get it right into the join as its a wipe on finish.
6. Dingotone is generally not used on fretboards - necks yes, fretboards no. Finish the fretboard in the oil of your choice - lem oil, Dr Ducks, etc.

Sounds like a great idea to work through with the local high school - sad you've got no takers.

Simon Barden
19-02-2017, 11:10 PM
On 1, as it's your guitar, it's really up to you. If you want it to look like a vintage Gibson, then look at photos of similar models (heel pictures are hard to find but they are out there) and see what they do, but the bottom of the heel is normally flat with a fairly well defined edge.

On 4, as Brendan says, there's no real way to shield the electrics as on a solid body. If noise is an issue, you could look at getting a replacement metal covered dog-ear P-90 which will help. Using shielded cabling for the signal wiring will cut down on a lot of noise pickup and produce almost the same effect as shielded cavities will, as it can leave very little of the signal wiring exposed. You haven't got a pickup selector (which normally adds a reasonable run of cable to a hollow body build), so wiring lengths are already quite minimal.

On 6, There is a Dingotone Guitar Wax which can be used of rosewood fretboards if you like a slipperier feel to your neck, but personally I use lemon oil. It needs re-applying from time to time. but it's a good reminder to check and clean your fretboard and polish your frets from time to time.