PDA

View Full Version : Final coats - mix neck and normal finish ?

DJP
07-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Query for Dingobase.
I just started to put the finishing coats onto my build, and realised that I used the neck finish on my spalted cap. I am not too worried as I have read in one of your posts that the neck finish can be used on a body and that it is just a harder finish. So I'm thinking, ok just use the neck finish on the cap. If its harder -it might be more protection anyway ?. However I do not have much of the neck finish left and so I am wondering if I could put the regular body finish coat over this neck finish if I needed. I will probably be able to squeeze another two thin coats onto the cap - which might well be enough to make this query redundant. However if I do run out - is there likely to be an issue if I mix finish layers ?

wokkaboy
08-02-2017, 06:09 AM
Hi DJP I'm sure there will be no issue mixing neck and body coats. You are correct what you assumed. Look forward to seeing pics of your build

DJP
08-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Thanks -I figured this would be the case - but best to check. Very pleased with Dingotone finish so far - seems to be going on somewhat better than the build I did this time last year. However - I'm probably doing thinner coats this time. The neck finish seems heaps better on this build than my previous attempt (where I ended up sanding the Dingotone finish on the neck back somewhat and applying spray on poly ... which actually gave me the smoothest silky finish !).