PDA

View Full Version : March GOTM

Brendan
03-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Guitar of the month Comp time again! While for this there are no fortunes (just fame - or at least within the BYOGuitar fraternity) there's an opportunity for fame for the best guitar completed in February 2017.

March Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in February 2017)

March2017 GOTM

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars March 2017 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) 28 February 2017

One guitar/bass per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)
Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable

We need at least 4 photos:
· full guitar shot from the front;
· close up of the body finish;
· shot of the back of the guitar; and
· close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for March closes 28 February 2017.

The sorts of things we judge on include:
· How well has the body and neck been prepared
· Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
· How well has the finish been applied
· How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
· Does it have the "Wow Factor"
· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

I'm a personal fan of demos - no matter how simple - everyone likes to hear how an axe has turned out!

Also worth thinking - we've got a range of judges and who knows what they'll like (or not), so don't be afraid to enter your guitar - no matter whether you think it's good enough to win or not - on the day, you may get a couple to swing your way!

METAL Rulez 4ever
10-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Finally finished my Explorer Bass Build. Took sometime getting in the parts for my modifications and getting the action right with the extra height on the bridge, but got there with the help of shims ! Really pleased with the result !

stan
10-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Nice job Metal - cool graphic. What did you use for fret markers?

theresimon
11-02-2017, 07:05 PM
I've had a crack at one. Great fun. And a cool sense of achievement, plugging it in a cranking it for the first time. I love it.

Simon Barden
11-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Hi theresimon and welcome. I really like what you've done there. Have you chamfered the edges to make it more S like (and a bit lighter)? The kit pictures show it to be more RG like in shape.

Zandit75
11-02-2017, 07:56 PM
Great looking build, but it doesn't look like a Pitbull kit. Where is this one from theresimon?

wazkelly
11-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Wow, stunning effect on the Basswood IB-7 kit theresimon. Keen to know how you got the colour scheme and what products were used in the finish.

Cheers, Waz.

phrozin
11-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Great looking build, but it doesn't look like a Pitbull kit. Where is this one from theresimon?

I thought the same back looks 1 piece

Simon Barden
11-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Looks like the IB-7 kit to me that's been modified to make is more of an Ibanez S-shape so the belly cut's gone. Back is certainly 3 pieces, though two of them are very well matched.

stan
11-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Theresimon, that is an outstanding result, tell us more about it

Zandit75
12-02-2017, 06:04 AM
Wow, stunning effect on the Basswood IB-7 kit theresimon. Keen to know how you got the colour scheme and what products were used in the finish.

Cheers, Waz.

Well there you go, I stand corrected! I don't think I've looked at that kit before.

theresimon
12-02-2017, 07:06 AM
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the compliments. Yeah its a IB-7 And the top I carved down to be more S like. I have been using S guitars for years, so they feel pretty comfortable to me. The bottom of it I carved similar to the Iron Label RGDIX7MPB. Just because it looks cool. The colours I use are from U_Beaut, water dye. I used a yellow, green and the black/green. Put it on just using a rag. Not that you can tell in the photos but I carved the neck down a bit too, again to feel more like my other guitars. Then I finished it with Cabots Cobothane Clear Gloss on the front and headstock and the same but Satin on the back, bottom carve and carve on the head stock. Lots of masking. Everything else electronics, bridge and so on are from the kit. Its almost my perfect guitar. Just wish I had jumbo fret wire. And the input jack was on the front like an S guitar. But man its been so much fun. I'm hooked now. I think my next one will be a red burst. Not sure I have some ideas.

Thigg88
12-02-2017, 09:13 AM
Thats one fine looking guitar simon. Great work

AxeMurderer
12-02-2017, 09:36 AM
That IB-7 is just beautiful. Nice work.

wokkaboy
12-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Very tasty build well done Simon

FredA
12-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Looks amazing Simon! Well done

Chuck
15-02-2017, 05:33 AM
That's a superb build Simon...just WOW!

andrewdosborne
15-02-2017, 07:06 AM
Stunning!

Sent from Lineage OS 14.1

FrankenWashie
15-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Theresimon that effort is absolutely mental. Love it! great depth of colour and the chamfering of the body edges sets it apart. Wonderful Job!

wazkelly
15-02-2017, 12:09 PM
Might be the only entry for GOTM for March given the high standard of finish.

Hobastard
15-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Absolute Beauty.

theresimon
16-02-2017, 01:43 PM
Thanks everyone. As I've said its been a blast to do. I was very nervous about the kit to start with, I've seen some pretty bad reviews online of various kits out there. So I'm really happy to have found the Pitbull Kits. Can't wait to get into my next one.
I'm shooting a film clip this weekend for one of my bands song, where it will make an appearance too. I might find some where appropriate to post a link when its done.

theresimon
16-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Oh PS My name is Simon. My wife's name is Theresa. Just a username we've used for years. Maybe should change that.

koldo2552
22-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Hello!!
Now that it is finished, i put my guitar here. My first build and i could not be happier.
ES-3 kit with:
- Tonerider AlnicoII Classic
- Groover Mini Rotomatics
- Dimarzio pots and Allparts CTS push pull pots
- Tusq nut
- Piezo disc
- Switchcraft connectors
http://i66.tinypic.com/1109ag2.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2w6v31l.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/ivbol3.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/1zguvs0.jpg

And a Video Demo of the guitar plugged into a 5e3 Tweed Deluxe based amp that i made a couple of months ago. Cab is a Palmer 1x12 with a Jensen C12K speaker and the mic used is the tipical Shure SM-57.

https://youtu.be/eiSPIvCIjIE

wazkelly
22-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Nice axe and really enjoyed the video too.

cade711
23-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Some great builds here so far! I love each of them, good work folks.
Here is my edition for a PitBull JB-4 finished this weekend past. This is my first build attempt.
All standard Pitbull Guitar kit parts, with some slight reshaping and visual alterations to pickguards only.
Finished in Dingotone Bushfire Sunrise.

wokkaboy
23-02-2017, 08:59 AM
very nice entries Koldo and Cade, that's good now there is 4 entries to judge !

koldo2552
23-02-2017, 01:42 PM
That bass is stunning cade711!

cade711
23-02-2017, 01:52 PM
That bass is stunning cade711!

Thanks Koldo, you've built a very nicely finished beast yourself! Smooth sunburst

cade711
28-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Very quick clip to prove the JB-4 plays! Didn't upload to Demo thread yet as I would prefer to get better audio and play a decent skill level track over the weekend. This ones just a phone recording of some simple note sustains to demo the tones. Also plugged into a 10W guitar amp not a bass amp...

https://youtu.be/bPZBJSGaP9M

wokkaboy
28-02-2017, 10:33 AM
sounds good Cade. Sure you will get a better demo down the track and playing through a bass amp

stan
28-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Beautiful ES Koldo, very nice job

stan
28-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Nice JB Cade, very slick, cool that it is essentially stock

Brendan
28-02-2017, 11:09 PM
Couple of guitars this month - comp now closed and we'll get to judging!

DaveyCustom
28-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Cade.. I love that headstock shape! Nicely done

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

theresimon
01-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Here's a clip that features the guitar. Its a non released song, so if you could hold back on sharing it at the moment, if you where so inclined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ-YYu0ut3Q
And here is a new song we are working on, just a demo at the moment. But it is the bitbull guitar. https://soundcloud.com/embassy-of-the-envy/nightsky

New link to video. Now its released https://youtu.be/yc1ShwI7vaQ

FrankenWashie
01-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Here's a clip that features the guitar. Its a non released song, so if you could hold back on sharing it at the moment, if you where so inclined. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ-YYu0ut3Q
And here is a new song we are working on, just a demo at the moment. But it is the bitbull guitar. https://soundcloud.com/embassy-of-the-envy/nightsky
Sounds great Simon!

theresimon
01-03-2017, 04:11 PM
Songs a bit pushed into the limiter, but I hope it gives you the idea at least. thanks

cade711
01-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Pretty staunch. Good job and good tunes Simon.

Hobastard
01-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Great song and cool Clip. Guitar looks and sounds awesome. Well Done..... Its a Yes from me.....

DaveyCustom
01-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Nice Simon! Great song, sound, and video

koldo2552
01-03-2017, 10:01 PM
It sounds great!!! Nice video too, congratulations!

Brendan
07-03-2017, 12:09 AM
So the results are in - comments in submission order as per usual...

Metal Rulez 4ever’ EX-5

Liked clear finish on the bass and the added graphic on top look great. Nice clean lines. The combination of the black pickups and gold hardware looks really nice.
Nice idea using chrome and gold tuners too. The extra detail of the Metallica neck plate makes it more personalized.
A lot of hard work and effort has gone into this build and it shows.

I like the simplicity of this one with the addition of the fret markers and mixture of gold bridge, knob and tuners adding interest.

Some cool personal touches. Would have liked to see a stain colour. Basswood is pretty plain natural

Aggressive styling for an all out metal bass. Love the custom touches, the neck plate in particular.

Simple minimalistic colour choice with alternating coloured strings feeding into also alternating coloured tuners. Upgraded bridge & alternate coloured control knobs complete the metal theme.

Some great original touches that turn this into a metal beast. Nice to see you putting their own spin on things with a personal approach.

Lots of ornamentation, but still appears stripped back and playable.

Great stripped back and simple effect – just not sure its my cup of tea.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

theresimon’s IB-7

I can’t say anymore than I love this guitar. The work that’s gone into the carving of the body and headstock, the finish and the very subtle sunburst.; the carved neck – you’ve done an excellent job.
Excellent work there Simon (pun intended).
Love the natural finish on the sides and back.
I know it looks nice without the tremolo cover on the back but I think a black or clear cover would have just finished it nicely. And protected you from being nipped by trem and would keep out the dust, etc.
If this is your first build, it’s excellent. Well done Simon.
The hardware seems well fitted, neat and tidy.
If I saw this in a shop, I’d just have to pick it up and play it.

This was the clear winner from the minute I saw it. The colour and finish quality is outstanding. I love the green/yellow which picks up the grain and the natural wood is pristine. The precision and crispness of the lines and angles shows a high level of craftsmanship. The headstock is a perfect extension of the body in shape and finish.
I’m not sure I like the trem spring being exposed at the back.

Amazing build you nailed the green burst next to the natural look. This is a stunning axe.

This is a true success of vision. Amazing customisation. The beveling, contouring, fit and finish are pro level. Reminiscent of a top shelf Ibanez custom.

Showroom quality high end finish that really suits this style of guitar. Very tastefully done body sculpting modifications have even further enhanced the look. Only needs a headstock logo to complete things.

A great finish and styling that is beautifully executed. Some great work here and it's exactly the sort of guitar that draws the eye if it was in store. Oh, and green, green done properly rocks - this rocks.

Stunning finish. I feel completely humbled looking at it.

A great guide for me is which guitar gives me something I’d like to try some day in a kit. This guitar does it for me – from the flat wood back / sides and bevels through to the glossy green burst. All up a keeper!

koldo2552’s ES-3

I love how you’ve completed this guitar. Being your first build it’s very impressive. The finish you’ve achieved is amazing. Beautiful sunburst too. Almost looks like an old guitar. One point, it would have been nice for the headstock to be a stronger contrast or to match the body better. That’s just my personal opinion. Well done. The back of neck and body, also a great job.
The choice of hardware, you can’t go wrong with. You’ve chosen items that go well together. One personal thing is I would have used black pickup surrounds to match pot controls and truss rod cover.
Well done koldo2552, I bet it sounds amazing.

Koldo’s build thread was great to follow. This guitar looks and sounds fantastic. The colouring is muted which really suits and the burst has been well executed incorporating the wood grain. The addition of the coil split and piezo further extends the sounds available.
Nice burst and upgrades used. Love the sound demo video as well. A build to be proud of. Would have liked to see a headstock logo and a G type bell shaped truss rod cover would have finished it off nicely.

Super classy build. Nice upgrades, beautiful burst, great sound. This one's a keeper. Top work.

Well executed burst and looks like and aged vintage already. Nice upgrades too and also enjoyed the demo video. Also no headstock logo and standard kit truss rod cover.

Super cool jazz box styling, but the traditional ok hides some cool upmarket secrets. Lots of nice mods and piezo addition, this guitar literally has it all. Looks great, plays great, sounds great.

A great sounding, versatile workhorse of a guitar. Adding the piezo disk was inspired. There appear to be a few minor finish blemishes, but this guitar will be "roadworn" in no time. It's going to get lots of use.

Nice burst Koldo – it has come off nicely and gives a nice warm feeling to this guitar. Keep it up!

cade711’s JB4

For your first build, a great job, well done. I think you chose an excellent colour for yourself.
Love the way you’ve chosen a pick guard that matches the ‘flame-like’ grain section on the lower part of the bass body. Also the Rage decal personalises it.
Good job at cutting the headstock too.
Hard to see from the pictures but might be worth getting yourself some fret board oil to protect and enhance the finish . You’ve made a good job of assembling and building this bass.
I look forward to seeing your next build.
Again, great job cade711.

The finish has been well done . The headstock looks good with its shaping and logo. I’m not personally a fan of the scratch guard picture but to each his own and it does match the colouring well.

Love this jazz bass the stain colour and pickguard graphics work well together. Another top build Cade!

Get over here, indeed. Gotta love a themed instrument. Great colour and that headstock is off the chain (I crack myself up).

Original headstock shape and vinyl wrapped scratch plate look great and work really well with the DT Bushfire Sunrise colour scheme with plenty of scope left for hardware upgrades.

Cade a super cool bass done nicely. Also nice to see a bass made essentially totally from a stock kit - which shows what can be done by a novice literally out of the box - nice job.

The perfect colour to match the clever pick guard mod. A bit monochromatic for my tastes though. I would have gone for a "burnt black" look on the neck for variation.

Cade – love the firey look to this bass – matched to the pickguard theme. Nicely executed.

Brendan
07-03-2017, 12:12 AM
So - clear runner up in Koldo2552's ES-3
http://i66.tinypic.com/1109ag2.jpg
Great job - you've come up with a great guitar and great to hear you're loving it!

and to the Winner - congratulations theresimon with a killer IB-7.
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17221&d=1486814628
The judges loved the craftsmanship in the cleanness of the lines and the overall effect. You've done a great job and congratulations!

DaveyCustom
07-03-2017, 12:14 AM
Congrats to both of you! Simon, this thing is awesome!

kimball492
07-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Guys great job on everyone that entered guitars. To you all well done. Big congrats to koldo. And theresimon's excellent job guys.
Best wishes
Kimball

cade711
07-03-2017, 04:47 AM
Very worthy winners, great decision. Good feedback too.

dave.king1
07-03-2017, 05:15 AM
Great work guys the standard just keeps rising.

koldo2552
07-03-2017, 05:21 AM
Congratulations theresimon!! You were the clear winner since the beginning, it΄s impressive and it looks like a professional work.

And thank you all for the feedback!!

FrankenWashie
07-03-2017, 05:24 AM
Congratulations to Both Theresimon and Koldo. Both guitars I would be more than happy to own!

stan
07-03-2017, 06:01 AM
koldo - a superb effort well done

Simon, a slightly superber (haha) effort, congrats on a stunner

WeirdBits
07-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Excellent builds, congrats guys.

wokkaboy
07-03-2017, 08:48 AM
congratulations Theresimon and Koldo, 2 top quality builds. Also the other 2 entries from Metalrulez and Cade were very good. Keep up the good work forum

Chuck
07-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Great work folks - that axe of yours is truly a thing of beauty Simon

andrewdosborne
07-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Congrats winners and well done to other entrants. GOTM builds never cease to amaze me in both creativity & quality

Hobastard
07-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Awesome work everyone.

JB RETRO
07-03-2017, 02:02 PM
Yep very nice Simon. Super job. I'd be stoked to have it in a collection

Kick
07-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Great axes! Congrats guys :)

theresimon
07-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Thanks so much Guys. I'm speechless with the feedback, really didn't expect that, amazing. And yep I have put the back cover on and it does look better, also helps tie it in with the front. And I've since put a logo on it too. Which can be seen it the clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc1ShwI7vaQ&t=5s Embassy of the Envy, is the name of the band.

wokkaboy
07-03-2017, 04:04 PM
cool and good quality video clip Simon. Sounds great !

wazkelly
07-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Congrats to all entrants and Simon with that stunning 7 stringer. Top efforts all round.

Andy40
08-03-2017, 03:48 AM
Well done Simon and Koldo.

AxeMurderer
08-03-2017, 05:40 AM
Congrats to all. Well deserved win for Simon.

vh2580
08-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Some fantastic entries. Congrats Simon on a stunner of a build

Fretworn
08-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Congratulations guys!

depictedminds
08-03-2017, 06:18 PM
:O

.... Did you record with that guitar?

... Man that thing look beyond all kinds of insane.

... Damnit. Now I want one. There's a crap load of money I apparently didn't need. Bugga. My wife's gonna kill me.

nitroburner1000
10-03-2017, 06:24 AM
Kudos to the winner and runner up, another high standard and innovation

theresimon
10-03-2017, 08:21 AM
No the song from that clip. But this is a new song we are working on. So its just a demo at the moment. And it was recorded with the IB-7 I was surprised just how usable the tone is from the pickups. I was thinking the first thing I'd need to do is replace them. But I think they sound ok. https://soundcloud.com/embassy-of-the-envy/nightsky

pablopepper
10-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Holy crap, man! That sounds unreal!

EDIT: Congrats also, that thing is superb!

kimball492
15-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Excellent playing theresimon enjoy your guitar great job.

phrozin
20-03-2017, 08:31 PM
yeh well done guys i like theresimons take on the ibanez Iron label

Bgr_17
06-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Is there any more photos of this build? Awesome!