PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Burstbucker 2 & 3 equivalents

Marze
01-02-2017, 06:43 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am planning to build an ES-1TL kit to be similar to a Gibson Dave Grohl DG-355. The DG-355 has hot Burstbucker 2 and 3 pickups in the neck and bridge respectively. Can anyone let me know what would be the equivalent in the pickups from Tonerider, Entwistle or Benson?

Thanks

pablopepper
01-02-2017, 07:04 AM
I'm only familiar with Toneriders, but I would say the Rocksongs are a close equivalent to a BB2 and the Generator is closer to a BB3.

Simon Barden
01-02-2017, 06:30 PM
However I would advise some caution. The PBG ES1 kits are a lot lighter-built than a Gibson 335/355 and so despite the solid centre block, they acoustically resonate at much lower volumes than a Gibson.

The BB2 and BB3 are 'slightly' overwound compared to a Gibson Classic 57 set (a decent medium output PAF copy), but not by much.

I set up someone else's ES-1 with Tonerider AC4 pickups in, and they were very powerful - too powerful for the guitar IMO. I couldn't get a clean sound on a Fender Blues Jr as they just had so much output and I couldn't get the volume high before it was howling uncontrollably. I'd have certainly gone for the ACIIs had it been mine.

From the description of the BB2 and BB3, I'd say that a set of Rocksongs would fit the bill, as they are slightly overwound versions of the AC2 - their closest PAF equivalent. I feel the Generator would be too powerful for the neck position. Fine in a solid body, but over the top for a semi.

The Benson equivalent would probably be a set of Custom Classics. Alnico 3 (the weakest Alnico magnet) but overwound to compensate.

Entwhistle seem to either do a vintage PAF style (HV58), or else go for a lot more powerful pickups, with nothing in the slightly hot area.

Marze
28-04-2020, 07:49 PM
Forgot to say thanks for the advice all those years ago Simon!
This build is back on the cards now the TL1 build is done, along with PRS clone for my daughter. Looking for a good PRS clone kit now, can't seem to see one on the Pitbull site.
Amazing the inpiration COVID lockdown has provided.

Simon Barden
28-04-2020, 08:50 PM
There are a couple of PRS-style kits, but no exact clones.